Topic: Cleaning solvents

This question is actually two:

1. What is the best solvent for cleaning out the gas tank in my soon-to-be Lemons car?   It has been sitting for 20+ years, and I am sure that the gas has turned to goo or worse.   Acetone?   MEK?   Denatured Alcohol?   Mineral Spirits?

2. What solvent do you use for general cleaning of greasy parts, and what do you pay for it?   For years I have used ordinary paint thinner, but it has now been banned in Southern California.   The stuff they have replaced it with now costs $19/gallon, and it doesn't work as well.   My supply of Stoddard Solvent is down to about a quart, which my wife says is none too soon because of the terrible odor it leaves on my clothes.

I know some guys who have gone back to gasoline (fireball waiting to happen!), while others are using diesel fuel or kerosene (not much safer).   I'm looking for an effective solvent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is less likely to kill me.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Re: Cleaning solvents

Our hubs and wheel bearings are sitting in kerosene now and it's doing a pretty good job.

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

I cleaned my tank first with water only to get the BIG chunks out and then followed that with a 50% muriatic acid solution and a few foot long lengths of chain in the tank to help loosen the debris, followed by water, and repeat.  Once I had everything out that I could get out with that method, I used the POR-15 fuel tank kit to clean and seal the tank.  The whole process really sucks and is back breaking, but it does work.

As for question #2, I used gasoline for years and years to clean parts and my hands are now super sensitive to chemicals.  I would use kerosene and wear chemical resistant gloves.  It is safer than gasoline due to the higher flash point.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

For gas tank, I'd just drive it and keep cleaning the fuel filter. My Camaro sat in a barn since at least '89, and after clogging my cleanable filter with sand and black soot a couple of times, it cleared up and has been running well since then. Just keep driving it, keep fresh gas in there, and make sure to keep a cleanable inline filter AND a carb filter.

I clean greasy parts with rags and really soapy water. If they have a lot of grease IN them, like bearings or half-shafts, I mechanically remove as much grease as possible with paper towels and what not, and then wash it in alcohol. If grease/oil is baked on, I just leave it where it is, it's not going anywhere anyway.

I know my grandpa used kerosene with great success. Never blew anything up and he was a heavy smoker, too.

K Car Stalker

New gas tank.  It costs about $150 and is a safety item, therefore exempt from the budget.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Por 15 sells some stuff called marine clean.  It dissolves the sludge but leaves the metal raw.  You need to use their metal ready that leaves zinc behind at least unless you arent worried.  Coating it with the POR15 gas tank coating is a bitch but worth it if you do it right and theres not a metal screen on the pickup in the tank.  Pop the float out and make sure you can see the open pickup before you coat it.

Unless its an oddball hard to find gas tank I'd recommend just getting a new one too.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

It's a humber, I doubt a stock replacement tank is readily available.

I'm in a similar boat with my current build.

I'm going to try the chain thing one more time, but there's baffles in mine. I may go with 100 5/16 nuts instead and just count them upon exit to make sure I get em all out.

I highly recommend you NOT just run it, though. Make every effort to get out what you can before relying solely on filters.

The new fuel regs look a bit daunting, especially the part about not dropping the cell down through the trunk. But we did it on the mini and more or less had to in order to have access for getting the refueling jugs into the trunk. Not sure what's going to happen at the first 2011 race tech with it. The stock mini tank is a firebomb, for sure. Same for the moke.

If it doesn't get clean enough for me, I think I'm just going to toss my FuelSafe fuel cell in the rear area temporarily. I need to check the rules and EvilJohnius about a couple things, though relating to cabin isolation.

That humber should be pretty easy to stick a non FIA cell in the trunk (cheaper) and isolate it from the passenger compartment. I'd think that would be safer than the stock one anyway.

Did yours have old gas in it? I posted free 5 gallons of old gas (aka varnish) on CL and some guy in an old chevy diesel truck came over and poured it straight in his truck. Save me the hassle of disposal and the lingering smell until I disposed of it.

I've posted this a dozen times, but here's once more.

If I could turn this...
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/jeffg78/IMG_4278.jpg

into this...
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/jeffg78/IMG_4337.jpg

Pretty much any tank is salvageable.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I've posted this a dozen times, but here's once more.

If I could turn this...
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/ … G_4278.jpg

into this...
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/ … G_4337.jpg

Pretty much any tank is salvageable.

OK, don't hold me in suspense.   What did you use?

So far, it looks like the best solutions involve removing the tank from the car.   I was hoping to avoid that since the tank actually has a drain plug!   One advantage I have is a 3-foot flexible borescope so I can inspect my progress.

Spank, I'm impressed that you managed to get someone to take away your old gas!   That was pure genius.   I have no idea how much old gas I've got, but I'll find out this weekend when I drain it.

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I cleaned my tank first with water only to get the BIG chunks out and then followed that with a 50% muriatic acid solution and a few foot long lengths of chain in the tank to help loosen the debris, followed by water, and repeat.

this is more or less what i did with motorcycle tanks
although i would use straight acid and stainless steel ball bearings. after it finally removes everything, put in some gear oil to coat the bare metal. get gas in it soon to keep any moisture from rusting the tank.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

If your main issue is rust, reverse electrolysis works amazingly well and is essentially effortless besides setting it all up.  Just change the consumable electrode a few times and you're good.  Electricity does the work for you. 

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm as an example.

Search reverse electrolysis gas tank and you will find a bunch of stuff.  You probably have everything to do it.  Basically caustic soda or phosphate free detergent, a battery charger, water, and some consumable electrodes.

Dont forget, its raw metal when you are done and can rust easily, especially with ethanol (and water) in gas now.  I think phosphoric acid will leave zinc behind on the metal to help protect it.  I think thats what por uses as "metal prep."

12 (edited by FJ40Jim 2011-03-04 11:35 AM)

My next Lemon also has a vile fuel tank, hasn't run since the mid-1990's.  The neck is very rusty, indicating the presence of moisture.  The smell of rotten gas is very strong when the cap is removed.  The gage reads 3/4 tank (3/4 full of god-knows-what).  This is why I was given the car, because the fuel tank and CIS injection are toast.

I really like the reverse electrolysis idea for undoing the rust inside.  But doesn't it require the part to be submerged in a plastic tank of electrolyte solution?

Where do I find a plastic tub large enough to immerse a 17gal tank?

Or can the tank be filled w/ electrolyte and the anode carefully positioned inside the fuel sender hole?

Edit: To answer the OP original question, my washer tank has 8 gals of solvent in it.  A 5 gal bucket of Super Agitene (available through Grainger, McMaster, etc.), and the remainder is either odorless mineral spirits from HomoDepot, or kerosene.  Has worked well for cleaning filthy LandCruiser parts for the last 20 years or so.  The fluid gets changed every year or so, with the dirty gunk going back into the metal bucket and dropped off at the county waste disposal site.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Yup, the gas tank is the container.  Fill it up with the solution and you need to hang the consumable electrode (that the rust ends up on) through the fuel level sender hole.  Be careful it wont arc out.  The tank gets - and the rust collector gets +.  You might have to change the consumable electrode if theres a lot of rust.

I wonder if a electroplating place would zinc coat the inside and out of a cleaned gas tank?

This of course cleans the inside of the tank.  For the outside you need a kiddie pool or a plastic drum if it fits to submerge parts of the tank in until its rust free.  You can rotate it and do a section at a time.  Or setup a rotisserie to spin the tank in the kiddie pool.  Sounds perfectly reasonable...

For the gas tank, take to  a radiator shop. They will boil it out or solvent clean it.

For cleaning greasy parts : SUPER CLEAN!!! Washes off with water. Wash off with soap if you are going to paint the part.

Buy it in the 5 gallon jug. use it in a big bucket with a kitchen sink brush or a your old tooth brush. Let the excess run back into the bucket.

Don't soak aluminum parts in it for a long time (like over night), this stuff eats aluminum. It will strip a polished aluminum part to dull in no time at all. If you clean Aluminum parts that you want to look nice, clean the whole thing quickly and rinse off promptly.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Tide Coldwater formula, stuff works remarkably well on old grease & oil. Pour it on straight, hit it with your wife's toothbrush and let sit. Rinse and buy new toothbrush.

I've also used a length of chain and Tide to clean out the initial gunk in old tanks, followed by liberal doses of WD-40 and more rounds with the chain. Nothing a dozen spare fuel filters won't fix.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Thanks JRBE, that's what I hoped to hear.  The outsides of the tanks I've dealt with haven't been that rusty, and it's easy to clean with sandblasting or a wirewheel.  It's the rust on the inside from sitting for 20 years that's difficult to deal with. 

With current EPA regs, none of the local radiator shops will put a severely varnished fuel tank in their wash tank.

Jim C.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I've never tried ireverse electrolysis with any varnished rusty bits so i cant say for sure how it will work on the varnished parts.  But its a safe bet the varnish is on the rust and the electrons should be able to get at the rust.

I've also read MEK is good at dissolving varnish but never tried it.  I've never had a varnished tank i cared to save.

jrbe wrote:

I've also read MEK is good at dissolving varnish but never tried it.

Aha!   I've got a gallon of MEK from cleaning out the garage of a deceased friend.   I was wondering what to do with it.   I think I know now.

Yes, MEK and/or methylene chloride will take varnish out of your way, while softening (dissolving) your skin.  That's in the 5gal bucket real chem-dip carb cleaner.

Jim C.