Topic: How do in-race repairs work in Lemons with regard to the $500 limit?

I mean, if I just brought brand new parts for everything that failed, I'd end up with a much better car by the second day.  haha.

What are the guidelines for part replacement?

Re: How do in-race repairs work in Lemons with regard to the $500 limit?

Pretty much open.  I believe there's actually a section of the rules that mentions entire spare parts cars.  By the time you have a failure and swap the parts, you're pretty much screwed for finishing position anyway.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

And for your next race you have to go through bs again so even if you put all your cheaty parts in the previous race so they may not technically count towards the next race budget, the judges will give you laps anyway.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

4 (edited by Loren 2011-03-04 04:40 PM)

There's a lot of grey area.

Show up to your first race with brand new radiator hoses that don't appear in your budget, you'll get nailed. Replace yer old busted hoses with brand new ones when they break during that race, and remind the judges at the next race that you had to replace those hoses when they broke AT the last race, and they're not going to give you any grief. There's a limit to how far you can take that, though.

If you have a spare freshly built and cheaty engine mated to a freshly rebuilt transmission with a new race clutch and a lightweight flywheel and you conveniently swap it into the car when your engine spins a bearing in the 3rd lap... If you're quick with the swap, you could very well WIN that race (doubtful, but possible if it's a fast car with good drivers and pit strategy)... but it's probably not going to fly at your next BS inspection.

Bring all the spares you can think of and have room for. Once the green flag drops, keeping the car on track is the name of the game no matter what you have to put on the car to do it. Just be aware that you might have to account for parts, especially new or cheaty ones, at your next BS inspection.

Generally, if you're replacing old junkard parts with other old junkyard parts, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

There's also the curse to keep you from dropping too much cheatonium in during the race.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

6 (edited by hrlyTCH 2011-03-05 07:54 PM)

Our 3rd race out we had to replaced the rear-end after snapping the watts-link during a previous race. We didn't present a budget or docs for the car as we didn't feel the need nor did we really even bother with it due to it being virtually impossible to track down a replacement that matched.

When we did the BS inspection they had asked us the routine of questions they generally had. "Anything done to the car since the last race, Any mods/upgrades... etc etc). We gladdly admitted to replacing the rear end and putting a new trailing arm on and they replied with, "We don't care about the stock/ OEM crap, get out of here." ... "oh, by the way, what's up with the shiny altenator." knowing it was just a joke to mess with us, we just gave some lame-ass excuse. Even though that's how it looked when we got the car originally.

There's a lot of ways it could go so just take what i mentioned about our team's previous racer with a grain of salt. For a lot of oem type stuff they may just let you slide but if for instance you have like an Olds Intrigue (probably a Grand Prix more likely) and have upgraded to the a dual piston front caliper, say from a Saturn Vue, probably not so likely to get off the hook on that one. I know brakes don't count toward it but I'm just using it for the sake of an example.

We've never been hassled for replacing an engine or transmission during the race; I think at that point you're pretty much racing for fun anyway. I do send a summary of what we replaced when I get my residual value, but we basically replace the crappy stock motor that came in  the car with another crappy stock motor for the car, so it's never been an issue. Of course our car has proven over the years to be slow and blow up a lot, so we don't get a lot of scrutiny any more. If we had a fast car that ran for an entire race, then maybe it would be different.

We did get the stink eye from a judge roaming around one Friday night when we were replacing a radiator that blew out an end tank seal during practice laps, but he didn't give us any grief about it. Considering that we were using an angle grinder, some metal straps, cut-up pieces of old radiator hose, and zip-ties to wedge the cheapest radiator that we could get at Autozone into the car, I think that we might have been okay despite it's glaring shiny newness. Later it was destroyed by a chunk of rod flying out the front of the block, so now we're back to a filthy junkyard radiator that doesn't get a second look.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!