Topic: question about harnesses

I'm trying to pick a harness, but since this is my first experience with racing and racing hardware i'm struggling with the whole pull up vs pull down debate. So, tips on which would be better for this? I know the main difference is some are better for strapping yourself in, and some are better for crew to strap you in, all based on car type and seat type.

So, if i wanted a harness that gave good ability to easily strap myself in, but still allows my crew to help when needed, what would i go with? There is a raised tunnel in the car that will put some space issues on the right side of the seat (sitting facing forward). The seat we're looking at is the Corbeau Forza

I'd appreciate suggestions from the experienced people here.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: question about harnesses

I'll let others w/ more experience or opinion offer advice on pull up vs pull down adjusts on a harness, but I will offer that you should get a harness with a cam lock, not that old school manual latch.  Costs more, but it absolutely worth it.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Pull down is the way to go...try pulling up going 70mph and it will become crystal clear.  Been using a manual latch since the 70's, works fine and our new Simoson set has a velcro cover over it so you can't undo your belts by accident.  I guess what you'll find here is that everyone has their own personal preference.  Been using the same set up for over thirty years and I'm still here, racin' and havin' the time of my life...AGAIN!!!

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana

I've used both latch& link, and camlock buckles.  I strongly recommend a camlock buckle, especially for an endurance race with 12 hurried driver changes.  Latch & link was OK in SCCA sprint races or ProRally, which rarely had hurried strapping of cockpit crew.

For being able to tighten your own belts, a pull forward/up lap is better, and a pull down shoulder is better, IMHO.  Dunno if it is possible to get that combo for a reasonable price.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

We've tried both pull-up and pull-down belts and the pull-down belts win every time in terms of ease of adjustment when you have drivers of quite varying heights and body types/shapes/sizes. I think pull-up would be ideal if you were the only one driving your car since that the range of adjustment would be pretty small, but when you need a wide range of adjustment, my experience is that the pull-ups lack that range.

Having run both camlock and latch/link buckles, I'll never go back to a latch/link. Camlock has a positive and easy click-engagement that is a definite benefit in the often-hurried environment of a mid-race driver change. On top of which, the disengagement is easier on a camlock in time of panic/hurry since all the connections release simultaneously on a camlock, rather than one-after-another on a latch/link. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Here's a question that might help me pick. On the pull up, where is the adjuster for loosening when you get out? if it's down near the floor i might have to go with pull down since we might not have great access to the on next to the tunnel.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice