Topic: Skid Plate

I have a friend that professionally makes skid plates for e30s. He wants to give us one in exchange for running a couple stickers.
I know it's not explicitly listed under saftey, but would we have to add its retail price to our budget?
It doesn't give us any sort of competitive advantage. We're just trying to make sure our cast oil pan doesn't explode if something falls off of the POS on front of us.

Re: Skid Plate

Yeah you probably would have to include it in the budget, and you may or may not get dinged for it. When a fan of ours donated a set of strut tower braces for our GTP, we took some flack because we had forgotten to get a residual value, but in the end we escaped with no laps. Since you've got an e30 expect them to give you a very thorough inspection.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Find a way because the low oil pan cost one of the E30 teams a top 3 finish at Gator-O-Rama this past weekend. Not sure if the pan hit the pavement or what, but it had grass in the cracks after going 4 wheels off.

We run these in our Carrera cars.  It went un-noticed at BS inspection.  That being said, we were docked 392 laps for a cheater engine...

This space for rent.

PunisherBass wrote:

Yeah you probably would have to include it in the budget, and you may or may not get dinged for it. When a fan of ours donated a set of strut tower braces for our GTP, we took some flack because we had forgotten to get a residual value, but in the end we escaped with no laps. Since you've got an e30 expect them to give you a very thorough inspection.

Well strut tower bars would have given you a competitive advantage. You should have accounted for that.

The skid plate doesn't give us any advantage... if anything it prevents an oil slick on the track.

I doubt you'll be hassled for it, but being able to complete the race is most certainly a competitive advantage.  If it didn't give you an advantage, why would you run it?

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

If you get it for free, it is free.
If you want to give it a value then the value of the stickers is equal and opposite, no?

But why do you need a skid plate. It seems like extra weight for no benefit.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

If you get it for free, it is free.
If you want to give it a value then the value of the stickers is equal and opposite, no?

But why do you need a skid plate. It seems like extra weight for no benefit.

E30 oil  pans hang down pretty low, and tend to get caught on shit and break.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

e30pdx wrote:

I have a friend that professionally makes skid plates for e30s. He wants to give us one in exchange for running a couple stickers.

This situation is specifically addressed in the rules:

4.5: Sponsorships: Conned some hardworking corp into giving you parts or cash? Nice work, but it still counts toward the $500 total.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

my advice is: at minimum, charge the scrap value of the metal against your budget.

Skid plates don't garner much attention, but E30's do.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Baron wrote:

E30 oil  pans hang down pretty low, and tend to get caught on shit and break.

Exactly.  The e30 pan is cast aluminum and will shatter/explode with even a small impact.

That pan does hang down there a bit.  We made our skid plate out of scrap.  0$

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

Stuff you get for free must be given a real-world value and included in the budget. Stolen stuff counts as free, of course.

However, a skid plate to protect the oil pan wouldn't get you dinged in BS. We like the idea of cars not dumping oil on the track. Go ahead and do it.

Judge Phil wrote:

Stuff you get for free must be given a real-world value and included in the budget. Stolen stuff counts as free, of course.

However, a skid plate to protect the oil pan wouldn't get you dinged in BS. We like the idea of cars not dumping oil on the track. Go ahead and do it.

The the above out and bring it to tech / BS inspection.

Just in case.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

sergio wrote:

Find a way because the low oil pan cost one of the E30 teams a top 3 finish at Gator-O-Rama this past weekend. Not sure if the pan hit the pavement or what, but it had grass in the cracks after going 4 wheels off.

Aye, that would be our team. We're pretty sure we were bottoming out in turn 10. You should also make sure you aren't running two inches of rake. That doesn't help either.

#61 Theissen's Revenge