Topic: fiero seat mount problem

My friends and I are progressing along on our fiero build and hit a little snag. The seat we bought (Corbeau Forza) is too tall to be safely mounted (2" helmet rules) in the car. I have modified the mount and the floor and it still will not give us clearance.

Any other fiero racers have this problem? How did you solve it? Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: fiero seat mount problem

Chop the top off, go open air and make a proper bird cage.

WINNING!

Daniel Sycks

We had problems like this with our installation (mostly because I'm 6' 6", not because our car is small).  Our solution was to cut as much of the roof and supports as possible in order to push the roll cage up, then install the seat so it leans back enough to get my helmet to clear the cage.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

Sledge wrote:

We had problems like this with our installation (mostly because I'm 6' 6", not because our car is small).  Our solution was to cut as much of the roof and supports as possible in order to push the roll cage up, then install the seat so it leans back enough to get my helmet to clear the cage.

What seat did y'all use? We have a driver who is 6'5".

We used a Sparco Evo 2 Plus (expensive as hell, but crazy comfortable).  The side mount brackets that Sparco sells allow you to set the seat at a pretty aggressive lean back.  This was for a 97 Ford T-Bird, so we had a little bit more room to work with than you.  If your cage hasn't been put in yet make sure your cage builder knows the dimensions of your largest driver and have the cage built to fit him, everyone else can use padding to get them to the proper driving position.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

Sledge wrote:

We used a Sparco Evo 2 Plus (expensive as hell, but crazy comfortable).  The side mount brackets that Sparco sells allow you to set the seat at a pretty aggressive lean back.  This was for a 97 Ford T-Bird, so we had a little bit more room to work with than you.  If your cage hasn't been put in yet make sure your cage builder knows the dimensions of your largest driver and have the cage built to fit him, everyone else can use padding to get them to the proper driving position.

We got hold of one of these (EVO XL) also for our Big driver (6-4, 265#), and then adapted some sliders on the side and made some custom brackets to mount to the floor. The side mount seats definitely allow you to mount lower in the car. Then put some recline in the seat and get everyone to fit under the 2" rule.

Check Craigslist in your area for Sparco seats. or use Crazedlist to search cities near by. Lots of well used seats being sold cheap with rips and tears. We had our seat shipped up from LA (to San Jose, CA), not cheap, but it was the right seat

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The car's body is plastic.  Get your tallest driver in the car with his/her helmet on.  Go at the roof panel over the driver's seat with a hair dryer.  Once the roof panel starts to sag, have the tallest driver 'sit up'.  Turn off the dryer and let the roof panel cool. 

Instant Z06-tech 'helmet bulge' in the roof!!!

You can learn a lot from a dummy,
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
ApexVinyl Race Team - 2011 Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas IOE, 2012 Gater-O-Rama I Got Screwed

Il Duce wrote:
Sledge wrote:

What seat did y'all use? We have a driver who is 6'5".

LoL - You hate him that much? I used to own tons of fieros so may be thats why I would say "good luck" making anyone 6'5" fit into those cars.