Topic: Perfectly balanced wheels without weights?

I just got a set of wheels back from my tire guy and there's not a single weight on any of them.  I don't think I've ever had a wheel that didn't need a weight, and certainly never a whole set.  I'm thinking they forgot to balance them, but before I show my ignorance I thought I'd ask.

These are 13" wheels (which I don't have a ton of experience with) and presumably smaller wheels need less weight than bigger wheels, but still...?  Also they are 3-piece wheels if that makes a difference.

Anyone have experience w/ similar wheels not needing weights to balance?

-Victor

Re: Perfectly balanced wheels without weights?

Depending on the machine, top of the line Hunter tire mounting can mount rims, mount tires, and spin them and then the machine can do a logic puzzle that puts the best tires on the best rims in the best position so that they use a minimum of weights.  Even with those, I've never seen a set of wheels come back without weights.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

In three hours worth of work I mounted my set of Michelins for my tundra to only use a single 15 gram weight, but Im going to guess they didn't spend that amount of time for you.

Another possibility is that they balanced them and used the wrong weights - which promptly fell off.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I got a pair of wheels back with no weights on them.  But that was different...the guy stuck the weight on the dirty wheel, taped over it with the metallic tape, and the tape fell off while the wheels were riding home in the trunk.  Went back and waited while they balanced them again and stuck the weights on so they would stay.

They probably didn't balance them.  Are they street tires or race tires?  I don't balance my autocross wheels, but I would balance race tires for road course use.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

I haven't even bolted them on the car yet so I don't think the weights fell off.

I'll ask them to check 'em.

-Victor

Out of eight wheels that we brought to our last race, two of them required no weights. They worked fine, no problems at the track.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I work at a dealer ship it's rare but it happens. you can get a wheel that doesnt need any weights but you'd be dam lucky as hell to have a full set of 4 with no weight needed.

I'd say they didn't get balanced. I've done the tire mounting for the 2 cars I've raced and only one time have we skipped out on it, but that was because of a suspension flaw that caused us to eat 2 new tires ( blasted through in approx. 2-4 hours on the track and our spares were previously raced tires that weren't mounted to any wheels)

Some years ago, Yokohama's on panasports match mounted balanced perfectly every time on my race car (14" wheels)... BFG was the worst, other inbetween... just depends on the quality of the wheels/tires and skill to put them on.. rare, but not impossible.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Tires come marked with a colored dot on the sidewall, indicating the lighest spot of the tire. Mount the tire with the dot at the valve stem and the wheel balance can come out 0. 4 of them though is a stretch.

Run them unbalanced. The vibration will only add to the 'entertainment value' while you are at speed.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

What kind of tires did you get? Who even makes a decent 13" tire?

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

Not balanced.  No way that all 4 of them came out perfect.  Not that it really matters.  Last race we had the tires were so flat spotted from the first driver, first day that the car felt like it had square wheels.  Every one of us ran the best times we had ever run.  And got a back massage at the same time.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

St. Mary wrote:

What kind of tires did you get? Who even makes a decent 13" tire?

These were Toyo Proxes for my non-Lemons A110.

Lemons-treadwear-legal 13" tires seem to be a problem.  I want to run the stock 13" Renault rims on the front of the R5Blurbo (the rears have the 15" from the donor drivetrain), but I haven't found a tire that works yet.

-Victor

it can happen......one set of our stock 1984 wheels balanced just fine.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I've done tires for 20 years now and see it a lot.

When you see the painted spot on the tire that is from factory saying to put that at the valve stem which means opposite needs weight.

Actually wheels are out of balance  a lot . Seen wheels take 2 ounces before tire goes on.
I mount up to 44" tires in which they take pounds. I've actually marked the tire where all weight was needed and dismounted tire put weight patches on inside of tires. I have even put weights on the wheels with duct tape to help hold on.

I usually don't waste my time balancing the tires for Lemons or other racecars  due to vibration usually happens at 35 65 95 and 115 and if your accelerating you won't notice.

So don't worry

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I run airsoft pellets in the wheels/tires in my off-road Jeep, balances great.  I doubt the tire shop did that in this case, just saying.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.