Topic: Just to clarify: Is THEME included in the $500 dollar budget?

Before i roll my car in the paint booth does THEME count against the $500 budget?

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award

Re: Just to clarify: Is THEME included in the $500 dollar budget?

Yes.  But if you have a totally awesome theme (Cannonball Bandits, Eyesore, etc) you won't get as much heat, unless you have a totally cheaty car and/or are a bunch of d!cks. Focus on fun, take your laps if they think you cheat/spent more than $500.  Don't worry.  You won't win so don't worry about laps.  We had a professional paint job on our Gone in 60 Laps Mustang but the polyester clothing, bitchin 'staches and bribes went a long way. 

4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.

4.2: Safety Equipment DOES NOT Count Toward $500 Total:

4.3: Registration, Insurance, and License DO NOT Count Toward $500 Total:

Yes and no. If you're spending enough on theme for anyone to ask, it's too awesome to count against you.

That is, unless you pay to have the car professionally painted.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Yeah, make the theme good and we'll look the other way. Rattle-can the whole thing flat black and we'll want to see receipts for the paint.

Im not "PAYING" for a professional paint job, just happen to have a paint booth in the shop out back.  Car is getting lots of body work to pull off the right look.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/Loading274/A-wings.jpg

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award

Judge Phil wrote:

Yeah, make the theme good and we'll look the other way. Rattle-can the whole thing flat black and we'll want to see receipts for the paint.

I was planning to just go with the 50 year old paint and rust combination.   Total material: zero.   Total labor: zero.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

I was planning to just go with the 50 year old paint and rust combination.   Total material: zero.   Total labor: zero.

We did that on the Fury.   Rust is free.  Dust blowing around the cabin from said rust:  Pricless.

This space for rent.

We spent more on theme then we did the car, and parts combined.  Nobody even asked us about it.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

NSF wrote:
CowDriver wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

We did that on the Fury.   Rust is free.  Dust blowing around the cabin from said rust:  Pricless.

Man, I could've done that with the Galaxie, but I didn't like that every time anyone got in the heap they immediately need a tetanus shot and/or a complete clothes-washing.  I spent a day with a copper brush grinder-wheel removing rust, insulation and adhesive and then a second day on washout and a spray can finish.  It thanks me every day I open the door.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

We felt the need to put some time and effort into our theme and other wise bland car. Kind of thought that was one of the points of the race...

Team ing with bad ideas has finally found a use for Snell 90 helmets.
Watch for pics from Sears Pointless.
Car Theme cost - 3 cans of paint for $5 at the local as-is-where-is shop (BargainSmart)
Other adds from old crap rusting out back of shop.
What we wear? that may have higher cost, but isn't part of the car... Thrift-town here we come!

We need to put Judge Phil's comment in bold across the top of this forum.  Every race, someone asks.  That, or someone who is better at coding than me should make a script creating an automatic reply.

Just sayin'

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

yes, but just what you put on the car. All the speedos, belly dancing girl, stripper cop outfits which go on your body are not included.

P.S. I heard Charlie Sheen and Natalie Kenly are showing up at Sears Pointless

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Trevor57 wrote:

We spent more on theme then we did the car, and parts combined.  Nobody even asked us about it.

+1

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

15 (edited by BoB 2011-03-15 10:22 AM)

If your theme is just going to slow you down I really doubt the competitors or judges will complain if you spent a bit extra.  Mind you if your paint looks to good people may beleive your car is worth more than it is, so you may not want to spend to much time on the bondo and sanding stage.  You don't need a show room finish, a 50 50 job should do ok(looking at it from 50 ' away while the car is going 50mph)

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I would say no but then again I been in 2 cars and 7 races with a generally on going single theme and we really don't too involved with doing up the theme. Last year we upped it a little on the second car but tried staying within a certain budget.

If it does count against you then you probably got too serious. Focus on the fun side of things and people will just shrug and laugh. Kinda like my brother's Buick (Track Pillagerz!) with the viking ship theme and team dressed in generic viking costumes.

It turned out to be a huge hit at Southern Discomfort last year and each race we been too we get several families stopping by with kids... makes it well worth it.

I will warn you though... If you are attending any of the Detroit-ish/Michigan races watch out there is a team of GM design engineers that have taken themes to a new level. Flat RocK 2007 Team 88 "It's the Libyans" (Back to the Future themed car) 2008 Toledo Team First Blood Sly-Stalone/6x6 GMC.... I dont recall a 2009 appearance from them but they did Gingerman in 2010 as car 666 Sleigher (Demonic X-Mas theme) they are good people with crazy over the top themes but I dont think they really got docked anything.

For our car for this race we bought the car and spent only money on the theme.  Still _just_ under $500, with the sale of the seats and the steering wheel.  But it's close.  (Seriously, who wants a four-prong steering wheel for an E30??!)

One can do a decent theme without the need to sink a bunch of dough.  We pick the cheapest latex paint at the home depot, last time out went with the $5 "someone mixed the wrong color" black they had on the shelf for the Real Housewives car.  Throw on some $2.99 fabric for the Burqas from the local craft store.  Add little time, effort and creativity and ta da, a theme. 

We showed up to our first race with 0 theme and were immediately sent to a corral next to the BS inspections and were told to come up with a theme on the spot with some rattle cans. Not gonna happen again.

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

19 (edited by Speedycop 2011-03-18 05:35 AM)

It never ceases to amaze me how many unthemed cars show up, some for their 4th or 5th race. That should be a lap penalty all by itself. I'm not talking vintage IOE iron that you want to maintain a classic look with, I'm talking RX7s, Miatas, BMWs, etc. You really don't get Lemons if you repeatedly bring a themeless sports car. I think it should be added to the rules: Automatic 10 lap Penalty for not being in the spirit of the series. Make people express themselves creatively, and they just might be surprised at what they can do. It makes the race far more interesting for the spectators, and it sure sounds like Jay wants more of those (given the primetime TV commercial, and 1/2 off for costumed spectators).

I've never seen a penalty assessed for over-expenditure on theme, unless the "theme" was an excuse to add parts that will enhance on-track performance. Frankly, I think any theme that is totally awesome and in no way enhances performance should be totally budget exempt.

There's two rule changes for you, Lemons Staff. DO IT.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how many unthemed cars show up, some for their 4th or 5th race. That should be a lap penalty all by itself. I'm not talking vintage IOE iron that you want to maintain a classic look with, I'm talking RX7s, Miatas, BMWs, etc. You really don't get Lemons if you repeatedly bring a themeless sports car. I think it should be added to the rules: Automatic 10 lap Penalty for not being in the spirit of the series. Make people express themselves creatively, and they just might be surprised at what they can do. It makes the race far more interesting for the spectators, and it sure sounds like Jay wants more of those (given the primetime TV commercial, and 1/2 off for costumed spectators).

I've never seen a penalty assessed for over-expenditure on theme, unless the "theme" was an excuse to add parts that will enhance on-track performance. Frankly, I think any theme that is totally awesome and in no way enhances performance should be totally budget exempt.

There's two rule changes for you, Lemons Staff. DO IT.

+1. Nothing makes this event more boring than crap themes -- who cares if you're driving an XR4ti at this point. Unless it's uber-old and unique and the found-in-a-field patina is sufficient theme alone, there's no excuse for not working up something interesting. And covering the car in "contingency" stickers from every parts maker you can think of so that it looks like a "race car" does not mean that you have themed the car, BTW. (replica-tribute cars like the Galaxie are a different story altogether)

On the other hand, even an e30 can be made to be entertaining with a good theme. Preferably something that adds a prop to the car (by which I don't mean a propeller) to add some visual interest to it on track.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

On the other hand, even an e30 can be made to be entertaining with a good theme. Preferably something that adds a prop to the car (by which I don't mean a propeller) to add some visual interest to it on track.

Ours harldly resembles one now. Not ONE panel was left untouched.

22 (edited by solman244 2011-03-18 08:57 AM)

Mulry wrote:

On the other hand, even an e30 can be made to be entertaining with a good theme.

This +1000!

I've rarely had more fun in my life than building the bee theme for our Civic.  Our first race out we learned a few things.  One was how much the judges, racers and spectators appreciate a good theme.   Another was how over-the-top a theme needs to be to work.  It has to be visible.  It has to be easily recognized.  It has to be in-your-face.
After recognizing that our Civic will always be considered cheaty, no matter how terrible it really is, we figured the next logical step was to go big on the theme.  50-100lbs of metal, wire mesh and paint tacked onto the back of the car might make you slow, but damn if it isn't fun!
Judge Phil was sweating our engine and suspension a bit during BS, but he and Jay both said "you did make a huge bee out of it..."  Judge Mike did ask me what the material costs were on the theme, and I was straight with him.  I had somewhere north of $100 in it.  We got 1 lap that we bribed down with 10 year old single malt.  Not only were the theme costs not included in our BS laps, I'd say some amount of perceived cheat was ignored (in reality we had no cheat, but appearances are everything).

I'm with speedycop.  Last thing I want to see is yet more rules, but there are some nice unwritten rules involved in the BS process anyhow.  Show up with no theme or a weak theme and get some laps!
Remember, pick your car wisely and it can be a theme all by it's self (the Fury comes to mind).

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

I agree overall with the Theme stuff. I think it should be kept as an unwritten rule though, because there are genuinely some total newbie teams that did not hear of this race directly through us, who, for whatever reason did not venture to these forums, who just flat out didn't even think about a theme. Yes, themes make it awesome. themes make YOU awesome, but requiring it is a little nazi-ish. Reminds me of the movie "office space" where Jennifer Aniston was passively-aggressively chastized for wearing the minimum amount of flair.

Hey, they gotta read the rules anyway. Might as well start out on the right lemony foot, and get in the spirit of things. I stand by my rule change request.

/nazi

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Some people are just in this for the sake of driving cars around for cheap, in a fun environment.  That doesn't make them wrong.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.