Topic: More Cage Advice

NEED TECH ADVICE!!!!

1984 rx7
Ran a string over the front and rear hoop centered over the drivers head and found that we did not have the 2" clearance. So we lowered the rear of the seat and bolted it to the floor which lowered the drivers helmet enough to be in compliance with the rule. Is this the correct method? I found this in the scca gcr and it is referred to as "helmet reference line" gcr 84.

We have an autopower bolt in roll cage and the base plates are NOT 24 sq. in. Can we add put 24 sq. in. plates under the cage plates with matching size plates under the floor and bolt through with grade 8 bolts?  It's going to be fun shaping the top and bottom plates for the rear wheel wells. Can these plates be rectangular or do they need to be square?

Other possible issues/problems:

Is the bolt in cage is legal?
The bolts that hold the sleeves appear to be grade 5 is this legal?
Is it possible to get a Lemon's tech person to tech this car well ahead of the Gingerman event?

I DON'T want to be building the car to compliance at the event.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
joe

Re: More Cage Advice

I think there is alot of mis-information about the 24 sq. in. plates being required, which they are not.  When the new rules came out I asked about it.  Here is a response from Jay:

from Jay to me, I have 4x4 plates:
"If you're in a situation where the plate does need to be extended, you can just butt a new section onto the edge of the existing plate and weld it all together--that's fine.

Note that the rule in question (3.1.4) says the 24-inch spec is "generally required" to meet the goal of the rule. You're not a dumb guy, and if you think the 4x4-inch plates you have now are sufficient to meet the purpose of the rule, you can always just leave them alone. Of course, ultimately the question isn't what YOU think, but rather what the inspector thinks, but I believe that if you look at it with an impartial eye, you should be able to see it like they will. A 4x4-inch plate in a really sensible location on really strong metal is probably not going to give them any heartburn."

Last edited by sawinatthewheel (2010-12-13 04:43 PM)

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

As for the bolts, welding is prefered but I haven't heard anything about bolt in not being still allowed.  You will need Grade 8 hardware to bolt it in.

I would assume that the larger spreader plate under would be ok, but I'm sure Evil Genius will chime in with a more official answer.

As for keeping the 4x4 plate, I would probably butt up a new section.  Even if it does make sense with the 4x4 I would be afraid of getting the tech inspector that looks at the rules and it says 24 square inches and that is what it has to be, if its 23.9 square inches still fails.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Anarchyjet wrote:

I think there is alot of mis-information about the 24 sq. in. plates being required, which they are not.  When the new rules came out I asked about it.  Here is a response from Jay:

from Jay to me, I have 4x4 plates:
"If you're in a situation where the plate does need to be extended, you can just butt a new section onto the edge of the existing plate and weld it all together--that's fine.

Note that the rule in question (3.1.4) says the 24-inch spec is "generally required" to meet the goal of the rule. You're not a dumb guy, and if you think the 4x4-inch plates you have now are sufficient to meet the purpose of the rule, you can always just leave them alone. Of course, ultimately the question isn't what YOU think, but rather what the inspector thinks, but I believe that if you look at it with an impartial eye, you should be able to see it like they will. A 4x4-inch plate in a really sensible location on really strong metal is probably not going to give them any heartburn."

Jay's response to you does not eliminate the need for 24 sq inches, it just allows you to add to the existing plate to extend it to 24 inches.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:
Anarchyjet wrote:

A 4x4-inch plate in a really sensible location on really strong metal is probably not going to give them any heartburn."

Jay's response to you does not eliminate the need for 24 sq inches, it just allows you to add to the existing plate to extend it to 24 inches.

If you search for the post when the question was first asked, it is expalined.  The 24 sq in is a guide line and not set in stone.  If you have a heavy and rusty car use large plates to ensue passing tech.  If your sheet metal is in good shape and you tie into rocker panels, other supports, and ect. they aren't too worried about the size.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

I had the material, the time and the welder.

I added metal plate to all of my spreaders to meet the 24 inch minimum.

I did not want to even run the risk of failing tech and welding Friday night before the race.
This takes the pressure off.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1110402.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1110406.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1110407.jpg

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

My cage is bolted to the floor and rear wheel wells with backing plates. Do these welded in plates have welded plates on the bottom of the car also? The autopower cage came with grade 5 bolts do I need to replace all 16 bolts in the tubes and all 24 in the base/backing plates?

8 (edited by trekkor 2011-03-16 04:46 PM)

If  I were using a bolt-in cage, I would cut the bolt in plates off.
Weld the proper spreaders into the car and then weld the cage in.

Run the bolts through the connection points in the upper portion of the cage and weld the sleeves, too.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

trekkor wrote:

I did not want to even run the risk of failing tech and welding Friday night before the race.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … 110402.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … 110406.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … 110407.jpg

KT

That's how we added to our spreader plates.

trekkor wrote:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … 110402.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … 110406.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … 110407.jpg

KT

WOW.

Please tell me this is NOT an acceptable way of doing this.  Do you guys realize what spreader plates do and how they work?  Because that is absolutely not how they work.  Just because you weld a plate next to the one taking the load absolutely does not mean it will take any load, and that perpendicular 1/2 welded plate is just....horrible.

I wouldn't be so blunt if it wasn't safety stuff, if you get all butthurt sorry, get over it, but that is a horrible interpretation of the rules.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

backwinded17 wrote:

My cage is bolted to the floor and rear wheel wells with backing plates. Do these welded in plates have welded plates on the bottom of the car also? The autopower cage came with grade 5 bolts do I need to replace all 16 bolts in the tubes and all 24 in the base/backing plates?

There are plates welded to the floor inside the car, none necessary on the outside with a welded in cage.  Bolted in plates are still ok in the rules, http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/racecarconst.aspx#a45 but make sure where it bolts through and around the spreader plates are solid and you have enough area for the spreader plates.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

12 (edited by crazymike 2011-03-20 09:06 PM)

Hate to say it, but Butt-welded plates are not disallowed - provided the welds are clean, have good penetration and no burn-through.
90 degree plates are the same.

John had this to say a while back:
The plates can be in different planes, welded together or bent.
and "if it's well done"

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=7672

...in my eye, the back-brace spreader additions look nice, the rest of them look like the welds were not prepared, as in not "v" ground before fill-welding.
The hoop-to-spreader weld is pretty sketchy looking - a bit cold all the way around.

FYI:
~if butt-welds are bad, what about welding an 1-3/4 tube to a plate? (proper) Welding joins two metals in such a way as to make the junction of the two items (strength-wise) indistinguishable from the solitary piece. A properly done butt on plate is actually as strong if not stronger than the original piece.
~Weld certification is done using butt-welds... generally if the weld fails before the base metal, no cert. They also cut and analyze said weld for cracks and voids...
~Tube-to-tube in our case would require heat-normalizing to de-stress the areas *at* the weld, which is why tubes need sleeves instead of having butts. The line right next to a 'hot' weld cools and recrystallizes unevenly, and this crystalline structure creates a stress riser proven to be crack-prone.
~Flat-plate butts are supposed to be ground away in a "V"and then over-welded causing a larger heated area, which cools differently than a tube. They are also much easier to control re that ground-away and fill than Tube is.

That said, Gas mains and other pretty high risk pipes are butt-welded...

I'm not offended.

You're seeing weld over weld on the verticle pieces.
Very strong.

Not a show piece weld, true.
'A pretty weld isn't always a strong weld'.

My cage and welds are the strongest parts of the car.
( as they should be )

KT

Stacking cold welds on top of each other =/= strong.

Did you cut into the welds to check them?  It blows my mind how people can make these extraordinary claims "My welds are the strongest part"...

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1110407.jpg

I have a 10lb sledgehammer that could separate these.

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

KT - lol...  I know ~that one~ Hard to hook good stuff to rust and bondo.

trekkor wrote:

I'm not offended.

You're seeing weld over weld on the verticle pieces.
Very strong.

Not a show piece weld, true.
'A pretty weld isn't always a strong weld'.

My cage and welds are the strongest parts of the car.
( as they should be )

KT

No offense, but why is it that people who can't weld 'pretty' always say that?  Most people who can weld pretty always seem to know how to make a strong one as well.

Also stacking weld on top of weld on top of weld does not make it stronger.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

mikespeed95 wrote:

Do you guys realize what spreader plates do and how they work?  Because that is absolutely not how they work.

OK, for picture 1, while you think its not as strong as a continuous plate, a good welded plate is JUST as strong as a continuous plate. That's the whole idea of welding. you can Join two pieces of metal and end up with essentially a continuous piece that behaves just like an un-welded piece. but the key is good welds, full depth welded and no voids.

Mike you would know this if you were a certified welder. So are you certified, have you done plate welding and performed the bend test in both directions?? That test tells you the welded two piece plate is just as strong as a one piece plate.

mikespeed95 wrote:

Just because you weld a plate next to the one taking the load absolutely does not mean it will take any load

OK, now working off what was just said in the 1st 2 paragraphs, yes a bigger plate will distribute the load from the tube better than a small one. Again assuming the welds are good. The best answer would have been to cut out the plate and install a bigger plate, but for many of us with existing cages, the add on plate is answer, -done correctly.

mikespeed95 wrote:

that perpendicular 1/2 welded plate is just....horrible.

OK, Now to picture 3, Yes this is a failure. The welds look like they have lots of voids (holes), the plate is doing next to nothing to support downward load from the cage tube, it looks like its welded to the door?, and its only welded on 2 sides? maybe 3? Failure, reject, try again.

Weld a plate on the floor next to the current plate. welds on all 4 sides, with good penetration, maybe 2 passes or 3.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

we need to have another event, STAT.  there is a lot of welding dick being swung around in here.  oy.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

we need to have another event, STAT.  there is a lot of welding dick being swung around in here.  oy.

Apparrently Testosterone is a better shielding gas than Argon/CO2, et al.

Spank wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

My welder is bigger than yours....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

VKZ24 wrote:

So why do they do exactly that on bridges, etc?

I've tried to break my practice welds.
I just end up with bent metal.

I'm confident that my car could be lifted from any point of my cage without failure.

KT

mackwagon wrote:

I wanna start arguing!!!

No thanks.  I would like to encourage the OP to pay someone else to do this properly, the pictures are clear evidence that this is not done properly.

Properly welded plates will act as one.  Properly bent ERW cages will also work, however due to the stupidity of people nowadays who don't know their limits, ERW is banned by most sanctioning bodies.  For this same logic, and whats going on in this thread I don't understand why welded together baseplates aren't banned.

Did you really just bring up certified welders?  :rolls eyes:  I don't think anyone who has ever brought that up realizes that you are only certified to weld one thickness of one type of metal per certification.  /rant.  Know what you're talking about if you're going to put up a lame attempt to start an argument and be condescending.

Mike Peters

23 (edited by Buzz Killington 2011-03-22 05:57 AM)

this bar used to be a lot cooler.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Evil Genius wrote:
Spank wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

My welder is bigger than yours....

Wait...  Yep - it is...  sad

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

trekkor wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

So why do they do exactly that on bridges, etc?

Because they have to.  One can not simply weld 1/2" steel to 1/2" steel in a single pass.  Knowing how to lay those beads down correctly takes skill.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.