Re: More Cage Advice

Buzz Killington wrote:

we need to have another event, STAT.  there is a lot of welding dick being swung around in here.  oy.

Raaaar!  Welding!  Raaaar!

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

mikespeed95 wrote:
mackwagon wrote:

I wanna start arguing!!!

Wow, I never said that. So you had to edit my words to make your point.  Interesting.

Did you really just bring up certified welders?  :rolls eyes:  I don't think anyone who has ever brought that up realizes that you are only certified to weld one thickness of one type of metal per certification.  /rant.  Know what you're talking about if you're going to put up a lame attempt to start an argument and be condescending.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Mackwa - nope, not certified - I'm the guy that gets asked to cut the welds apart at my local CC - and usually say F-NO unless you-all bring the new saw-blade (that heat-stress riser AND the type of rod used can kill a blade in seconds)!

And as to strength-of-weld and quality as seen from photos, yeah, what Mackwa said.

And-and, if you had a welder big enough to do single-pass on bridges, MAN that would trump all of you guys' welders combined and multiplied like welding bunnies!

(structural certified = three materials, same thickness, Stick weld, classes start out with single-pass and develop into multi-pass needed to pass cert... Mig and Tig are different and riders on basic structural, or can be separate and specific. Tube is yet another cert. Chro-Mo and tube is yet another... and so on...)

29 (edited by dculberson 2011-03-22 11:49 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:

Also stacking weld on top of weld on top of weld does not make it stronger.

That is exactly how you weld a thick piece of metal.  You groove each piece and lay a root bead and a face bead.  Or back bead and weld reinforcement as this image calls them:

http://mewelding.com/images/fig6-14.gif

It's a little more than just "stacking weld on top of weld" but it's also structurally sound and industry standard practice.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

30 (edited by VKZ24 2011-03-22 11:57 AM)

dculberson wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Also stacking weld on top of weld on top of weld does not make it stronger.

That is exactly how you weld a thick piece of metal.  You groove each piece and lay a root bead and a face bead.  Or back bead and weld reinforcement as this image calls them:

I know this.  smile  We aren't talking about a 1/2" plate here that requires beveled edges and mutiple passes.  If you can't get proper penetration on 1/8" plate in a single pass, then 3 more passes won't help.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Okay, sorry, just makin' sure. :-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.