1 (edited by Bremsen 2011-03-21 02:08 PM)

Topic: Rear stays, in relation to each other

I know ideally the rear stays should run parallel, but I would like to angle them outward slightly (~15°) in order to mount to the top of the wheel wells.  They will be extremely short (<18") and I do plan to x-brace them as well.

Acceptable?  I can't find any precedence.

edit: pic removed to avoid confusion

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing
BAM-Z-NO! Team Holdafone 1987 NA 300zx
Still looking to get into the top 50%.

Re: Rear stays, in relation to each other

I can't point you to an exact counterexample, but I'm pretty sure that this would fail tech. The rearward stays should be straight and ideally to to the front side of the rear shock towers. Other attachment points are sometimes approved, but those pictured almost certainly would not. Not only because the spreader plates appear to not be fully welded to the shell.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The rear stays will punch down right through that tube.

4 (edited by Bremsen 2011-03-21 02:17 PM)

Here is what I am talking about, the rear stays need to angle outward to meet the top of the wheel well  (red lines):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/rj3series/rearstays.jpg

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing

Understood. The red line will be fine, just make sure they go into sufficient spreader plates and you should be ok.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks Mulry.  I figured it was ok, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing

7 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2011-03-21 12:56 PM)

We failed tech at MAM with something similar to that picture.  Although we had tubes running down from the bar connecting the shock towers to the main rear deck.  Still failed. 

We've passed tech since fixing this, but now again, are going to re-do the cage main stays as we've been told it still isn't really ok.

Do it once and do it right.  Make the main stays straight, and make them to the rear deck if the shock towers are too far out to the sides.  Do not intersect them with a bar to the shock towers (this can be done separately).

EDIT:  OH, red line.  Is that still ok?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.