Topic: Freakin tow vehicle

I just spent something like 4.2 million hours putting the top end of the engine in my 6.0 Powerstroke back together...  looked in the box that all the nuts and bolts went into... sure enough, two bolts left.  Now, where do those go?   think John!   ah yes, in the oil cooler..   Got to remove the turbo, intake and oil cooler AGAIN! and install the damn things...   I'm depressed....     And the damn thing has cut my hands to ribbons.. arghhhhhhhhhhh!   

Time to have a beer.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Re: Freakin tow vehicle

I heard some of the engine projects on our trucks require cab removal to service.

I have 135,000 trouble free miles on my '01.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Mine has 400k miles... and was running well, just leaking a crapload of oil out of old o-rings... gotta get it done by tomorrow so I can use it to haul to Infineon...

I'm also having a beer...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Evil Genius wrote:

Mine has 400k miles... and was running well, just leaking a crapload of oil out of old o-rings... gotta get it done by tomorrow so I can use it to haul to Infineon...

jOhn, put some head studs in it, I'd hate to hear you have to do it all a third time.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Yes, the good old 6.0L Ford Powerstroke...the never ending quest to keep head gaskets in it.  It seems that when this engine was designed there were some crucial points over looked including clamp load distribution and head rigidity.  I agree with Baron, switch to a quality head stud if you haven't already as it will payoff dividends in the future.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

trekkor wrote:

I heard some of the engine projects on our trucks require cab removal to service.

Yeah, my friend works for a company that makes repair manuals and he recently attended a Power Stroke training class and learned the same thing. Crazy.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Studded already, I was just fixing oil leaks in the valley area... its just a PITA..

~should I mention that that tray looked like a fine place to put the left-over bolts from the Swedish Sled project?

hehe.

...thought about it but didn't, Really.

Mine has 63k. Tends to leave more parts on the freeway than the race car.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

why i bought a gas big block, limit of my skills

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Evil Genius wrote:

I replaced the o-rings in the oil cooler of my 96 7.3 earlier this year.

It was a bit frustrating but really not that bad.  I found it was easier to loosen my left motor mount and raise the motor a bit to get the cooler out.  I think it's easier on the 99 and ups.

There's also a little valve in there that will fall out on the older models.  Without that, the oil drains down to the pan and empties the reservoir that runs the injectors.  The truck won't run long without it.

On later models, I think there is a retaining ring so the thing won't fall out.

I'm getting up to the 350K range.  Aside from a bit of leaky diesel, likely from the abyss know as the valley of many lines, it's good.

Regarding the 6.0, my friend's company actually started selling off their 6.0s and hanging on to their older 7.3s.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Jackasic wrote:

why i bought a gas big block, limit of my skills

+1.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

My 6.0 Excursion is the soccor Mom mobile.  The 7.3 we use for hauling.  Injectors seem to be issue down here in Florida for the 6.0. 

Does anyone know about the new Ford diesel?  Good / Bad?

This space for rent.

15 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-03-23 11:16 AM)

The trucks we have at work are pretty good at accelerating on their own. There are occasions where we sit on the flightline with the engine idling for half an hour or so. When we finally put it in gear to go somewhere the engine revs up and will do 30mph if we don't ride the brake, and that's with it geared way down (our trucks are governed to 35mph). Ford says it's the fault of the company that bobbed the trucks for flightline use, the company that bobbed the trucks points to Ford. Apparently Ford has had some recalls on the programming and turbo setup for such issues.