Topic: BROverload cage

Before everyone says, "EMAIL JOHN AT EVIL GENIUS", I just did.  I am posting it here in case he reads it here first instead of his work email.

I won't be racing this time at Sears Pointless but will instead get my "fix" working tech inspection.  I wanted to remind our Bros at BROverload racing www.broverloadracing.com about the minimum square inches needed on the base of the cage mounting points.  They sent me the following photos (overall view of the cage when seen standing at the rear of the car looking forward, better door bars on the drivers side, and 3 typical bases of the legs of the cage) and want to know if their mostly 4" x 4" (some smaller due to space constraints so they are angled off) base plates are OK or are they going to have to cut the legs of the cage and build up wider, bigger bases where things are tighter like in photo "base 2".  https://picasaweb.google.com/christopherhanzel/Cage#

Other info they sent, "You should add to the email that we are in a sub 2k lb 1985 jetta.Car is from bako (Bakersfield) with no rust.  All plates are roughly 4x4. Main hoop to rear bench is 4x4 with a corner cut off."

They are able to start tonight if needed and would rather do so than Friday at Sears Point.

Re: BROverload cage

Ok, i'm not a tech inspector, but 4x4 is only 16 sq inches.

I'm pretty sure the rule says "minimum 24 sq. inches", not "minimum 24 sq. inches, except for sub-2K lb cars from bakersfield with no rust which can have 16sq inches minimum"

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

vwminispeedster wrote:

They are able to start tonight if needed and would rather do so than Friday at Sears Point.

Get to welding

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

24 square inches is not mandatory, but the rule is drafted in a somewhat confusing manner:

"3.1.4: All attachment points on the vehicle must be selected and reinforced as necessary so that, in an accident, the cage will not punch through, tear, or grossly distort the attachment point. Spreader plates of at least 24 square inches; backing panels; gussets; and/or other reinforcing elements are generally required to meet this goal. Cages mounted to rusty, thin, under-supported, or otherwise stupid attachment points will flunk tech immediately.

From my discussions with Jay on this point, it became clear that the mandatory part is comprised in only the first sentence of that rule. The second sentence is advisory -- those are the kinds of things that will help to comply with the first sentence. The third sentence describes consequences of failing to comply with the first sentence. Even thin, rusty, or under-supported spreader plates that are at least 24 square inches could fail.

So, OP, if the spreader plates comply generally with the second sentence so that they satisfy the first sentence and don't run afoul of the third sentence, you should be fine.

Who ever said that diagramming a paragraph in sophomore year grammar class wouldn't prove useful in later life? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We got a reply from John and they will proceed as needed. Thanks Bro!