1 (edited by GTI-Guy 2009-08-06 07:44 AM)

Topic: Brake Pads for 24 Hour Lamest Day Event, Dodge a Pad Change

So, my team and I are e-arguing about pad choices.

First to establish, is it even realistic to think we can go 24 hours without having to do a pad change?

If not, we'll go with racier pads

If possible to run on the same pads the entire event, thoughts on a longer lasting pad to give us a shot at that?

We're driving Barbie's ex husband's 1983 Sex-Series ... Barbie will be joining us ;-)

Related to the above:

Is there a break in the schedule for the people's curse, or for any other purpose, to give everyone time to change pads, lick their wounds??

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!
BMW 6 Series ... "All Bitched Out!"

Re: Brake Pads for 24 Hour Lamest Day Event, Dodge a Pad Change

I would think that on a car as big as a sixxer you will need either a very soft compound (like OEM/Axxis Deluxe/PBSpecials) to last the duration or you will need to change pads.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Call Porterfield they sell the Raybestos Racing pads that we use and have barley used half the pad in two days of racing. They have tons of initial bite and don't fade but if used to aggressively you can put a hurt on your stock calipers and literally melt out the seals like we did at ThunderHill because one of our drivers is a huge fan of trail braking but even with only front brakes we had tons of stopping power to haul down 4800 Lbs of metal.

Pen-deje-ho ho ho

http://www.ctbrakes.com/  We used .005" of the .400" pads in a 13 hour race.  Brakes can be a liability or a weapon.  Your choice.

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

The guys at Porterfield are very helpful and they carry a variety of pads.

Race pads work at higher temperatures than stock with less fading.  That extra heat goes right into the components and fluid though.  Stock or race pads, the extra heat increases pressure and puts a hurting on old rubber.

I see and hear about plenty of failures, your pads could last the race but you could lose a caliper or something.  Neither is good but it's quicker to change pads than calipers and a system flush.

We run Porterfield pads on our car and the R4's in the front have help up great for the first 3 races with lots of life left to go.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks to China, rotors are cheap. Put new ones on, and bring spares. Put in fresh decent fluid (I like Castrol LMA - works dandy). We use hawk blues, and they do 24hrs no problem and then some.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I've done 15 Longest Day's at Nelson Ledges. The only car that I remember NOT doing a brake pad change on a VW GTI. And we used premimum racing pads on it!

You WILL be changing pads on a car as large and heavy as your Bimmer.  Buy the hardest, best, most expensive race pad you can find. Use new rotors. Have spares. Or .... you can do it in true Lemons style and just run them till you grind metal on metal. An dthen just move your braking point back a bit and keep on going until you spit the pucks clear out of the calipers.

You really haven't lived until you get your brake so flippin hot that when you stop they burst into flames.  Been there, done that (at Road Atlanta, Mosport & MidOhio, but not at Nelsons)

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

we ran ebc red stuff pads in the front of our Impreza wagon and they worked flawlessly for both race days. mind you, its a fairly heavy vehicle (with stock rear drum brakes) and our race was at stafford ct, which had that pretty hairly corner coming off the fast part of the track that everyone stood on their brakes.  they took alot of abuse and were under $100.

We ran the Reno race without changing pads and that was on the very twisty and hilly Reno-Fernley raceway. However the Peugeot did stick in 3rd gear Sunday morning so for the last 4 1/2 hours of the race we were limited to a top speed of 75 mph or so. We simply called Porterfield and asked what they had and not only did they have some Peugeot-specific pads in stock they cut us a deal as no one else was likely ever to buy them :-).

10 (edited by X-args 2009-08-12 10:13 AM)

We have used EBC Yellowstuff pads on our little bitty Cavalier rotors, and we've now done 6 races (on the same rotors, damn those cheap Chinese rotors are sturdy!) and we have changed the pads before every race.

The pads were 80% worn at the end of the Detroit 'real' 24Hours, but at all of the 15-16 hr races we've had plenty left. It took two seasons to wear out our rear shoes...

Fresh rotors for the new reconstituted car, though.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Pretty colorful writer there Spud!

Thanks for the input everyone

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!
BMW 6 Series ... "All Bitched Out!"

12 (edited by Stevo 2009-08-12 01:53 PM)

We have slimmed-down MkI MR2, prolly 1800lbs.

Our plan is to go with Raybestos Advanced Technology pads, brand new cheapass rotors, rebuilt stock calipers and stock everything else.  We have spare pads and rotors.

Opinions vary widely as to expected performance and longevity of this setup.  One good thing is that we cut off the nose off the car, so the brakes will get LOTS of air:

http://tarp.hailming.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/100_1647-300x224.jpg

I would just suggest to be careful if anyone is considering cross-drilled rotors. Sure they sound great and the venting is awesome but most cross-drilled rotors are just that. They are drilled... and anyone who has a bit of engineering background knows that when you drill something you start micro-fractures at the edge of the hole.

Think of something like a rock hitting your windshield. Sure it is just a small crack but with the right pressure that crack will go all the way through and split your entire windshield.

Imagine that happening to your rotors during hard braking.

Porsche and other higher end performance brake systems come with "cast-in" cross-drilled rotors. They won't split.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

14 (edited by Mulry 2009-08-12 02:30 PM)

Stevo wrote:

We have slimmed-down MkI MR2, prolly 1800lbs.

http://tarp.hailming.com/wp-content/upl … 00x224.jpg

That car is so ugly. As a 16.67% owner, I can say that.

It's like somebody transmogrified Colin Chapman's immortal words and came up with "Simplify, then add hideousness."

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Riktor wrote:

I would just suggest to be careful if anyone is considering cross-drilled rotors. Sure they sound great and the venting is awesome but most cross-drilled rotors are just that. They are drilled... and anyone who has a bit of engineering background knows that when you drill something you start micro-fractures at the edge of the hole.

Think of something like a rock hitting your windshield. Sure it is just a small crack but with the right pressure that crack will go all the way through and split your entire windshield.

Imagine that happening to your rotors during hard braking.

Porsche and other higher end performance brake systems come with "cast-in" cross-drilled rotors. They won't split.

But if you can go from solid to vented rotors, do it.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

But if you can go from solid to vented rotors, do it.

Oh yes... vented and slotted are fantastic upgrades for cheap. Granted slotted will tend to wear your pads a bit faster.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

We ran Advance Auto Parts ceramic fronts on the heavy Mark VIII at CMP in April. They were down to the backing plates in 5 hours. In Stafford, we ran the pricier Napa adaptive ceramic/metallic pads, and they not only lasted the whole race, they hardly look used, and stopped far better! Considering the pricier Hawks and other race brands often have a similar ceramic/metallic composition, Napa's pads might be worth a shot.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Spud wrote:

I've done 15 Longest Day's at Nelson Ledges. The only car that I remember NOT doing a brake pad change on a VW GTI. And we used premimum racing pads on it!

You WILL be changing pads on a car as large and heavy as your Bimmer.  Buy the hardest, best, most expensive race pad you can find. Use new rotors. Have spares. Or .... you can do it in true Lemons style and just run them till you grind metal on metal. An dthen just move your braking point back a bit and keep on going until you spit the pucks clear out of the calipers.

You really haven't lived until you get your brake so flippin hot that when you stop they burst into flames.  Been there, done that (at Road Atlanta, Mosport & MidOhio, but not at Nelsons)

Spud

Did that at Toledo (inadvertently). The hawk pads held up fine, but our chinese rotor lottery ticket came due and the disc wore out (started with new ones), spitting the brake pads on to the track, and giving me quite an opportunity to demonstrate my accident avoidance skills! I hope to not try that one again! The rotor wore so bad that the piston came clear out of the caliper and was so hot we couldn't get it back in (so had to swap calipers). Since then, fresh rotors and fresh hawk blues have worked well. Would like to find cheaper pads that will do a full race though, especially ones with more feel at lockup.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

We had Brembos at Toledo and they're still on the car after a few test hours at Nelson Ledges. Get the best pads you can. With small cars, you'll go 24 hours. But anything with weight will need pads. Thats just the way it is. The biggest piece of advice I can give is make sure you have at least new wheel bearings and the possibility of replacing the left side bearings mid-race with a heavy car. Nelson is pretty hard on bearings with the very high speed right handers and bumpy corners. And like spud, that's more than 20 years endurance experience at Nelson. Hi Jeff!! I know that's you!!!

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

FYI, our car was down to about 2500# curb weight. 

Went with HT10s up front and Blues in rear.  I am a huge personal fan of HT10s for my E30 track car at Gateway, Mid-Ohio and Putname, but have (well...had) no racing experience prior to Nelson.

Brakes were never an issue (for me and I never heard anyone else complain) at Nelson since it's a very fast track (I trail-braked most of the time and rarely got hard on em).  We ran a total of about 13 hours and about 90% of that was continuous (including pits). 

I'm pretty sure (and maybe another teammate can back me up?) we had a really big amt of pad left.  I can look at the car if anyone so desires to know...

Alex April
#10 Barbie Must Win - 1983 635CSi ('09 Lamest Day @ Nelson Ledges)

this was actually a sore point for NL for my team.

In the past, we have shown up to Flat Rock, and Even CMP with new, stock pads and good rotors, even in our P71. we NEVER had issues, Flat rock the whole race solid and fine, CMP we had to change them at the end of day1 because they were wafer thin.

Nelson Ledges? we had brand new pads, freshly flushed brakes, good vented rotors and our first guy out cooks the oem pads to a fine glaze in under 40minutes. I had planned a pad change since day1 on this project and had Hawk Blues on hand, but this is Lemons, this is budget racing! Anyway, we had the blues in and went the rest of the race no problems and could probably do another race on them. My fault for making the call not to change them but Nelson has a history of only 2 hard braking zones, so there was no reason up-front to believe they'd die so quick, especially considering we had a heavier car go 15x longer at CMP which had several hard zones.

We switched to Porterfield R4-E pads for NL (had R4-S at CMP) and we've got at least 90% pad left after the 24 hours.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

We ran the napa adaptive ceramics front and rear on new rotors with motul fluid.  We started to overheat early, so we ran the rest of the event at about 80%.  If the pads wore more than 20 %, I will be shocked.  They were fantastic, pad feel was great, and never had an issue.  I really thought that place would be a hell of a lot harder on brakes, but out car is also pretty light.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

NL is insanely easy on brakes...much more than i expected.  i don't think we even made a dent in our porterfields.  of course we only ran 11 hours, but....

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

i was barely using the brakes.  i didn't see what they looked like afterward, but can't imagine too much wear