1 (edited by mechimike 2011-04-20 08:09 AM)

Topic: SCDMV Rant. Yes, the DMV disappoints once again...

Last year I purchased a 1980 Mercedes 450SL.  After a few months of work, the car is now road ready so I headed down to the Greenville, SC government offices to pay the road taxes on the car and get a plate.  The taxes were easy.  No one was in line, everyone was friendly, I was done in 5 minutes.

The DMV, on the other hand...I walk in, get my paperwork to fill out, and sit down.  They called my number, and a grouchy clerk begins scrutinizing my paperwork.  I had a Bill of Sale, a notarized title, previous owner's address, previous owner's registration, proof of insurance, etc.  I was loaded with documentation.  The lady punches some stuff in, and the computer tells her the VIN is invalid.  Apparently there is supposed to be a letter where there was actually a number.  I told her that I had verified the VIN on the car with the title, and the title, BoS, previous registration, and my insurance all had the same, correct VIN.  Nope, gotta be a mistake.  I told her it was a 30 year old Mercedes, and in my experience with older cars the VINs aren't always as formulaic as they are on modern cars.  Nope.  She said I had to bring the car in, have them physcially witness the VIN, and then they'd get me a plate.  I said fine, and asked for a temporary plate.  They would not issue a temporary plate because I had bought the vehicle more than 45 days ago.  I explained that I had been fixing it up, and asked how I was supposed to get the vehicle to them to witness the VIN without a way to drive it there.  "Trailer it" she said. 

I called the central DMV office in Columbia and the lady there basically told me that I had to comply with whatever decree the field office made.  Nice.

So I went back to the car, checked the VIN, and it was correct as I knew.  I threw the old plate on it, drove it to the DMV, got another lady, and went through the whole song and dance again.  When she wanted to physically verify the VIN, I took her out to the car, she checked it out, and then had to fill out some paperwork and do an override in the title system.  I finally got my new plates, after an hour of wasted time.

On the plus side, the blast up the freeway to get to work in my newly-legal 450SL was righteous.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: SCDMV Rant. Yes, the DMV disappoints once again...

mechimike wrote:

I headed down to the Greenville, SC government offices ...

I think I see your problem.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

And here's the sorry part...I don't mind paying for registration fees.  The government builds and maintains the roads, and I pay them to do so through these taxes.  I am totally fine with that.  I'm what you might call a "small 'l' libertarian"- I'm for limited government, but some things, like roads, I don't have a problem with them being involved with.  My problem has to do with their "system", which basically implied that I and all my documentation are wrong and falsified, and I had to prove to them that I am correct and innocent.  Every time I go into the DMV (and I have lived in a few states) I get the feeling that I'm walking into a courtroom and I have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they should give me a license plate.  I understand what their reasoning is, but it can be extremely aggrivating.  Half the time they can't even get their own documentation correct- I can't tell you how many titles I've gotten with my name misspelled or some detail about the car wrong.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

mechimike wrote:
mechimike wrote:

I headed down to the Greenville, SC government offices ...

...and I had to prove to them that I am correct and innocent.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The question is...is there a state in which dealing with the DMW isn't a PITA?

Mike we have to deal with the same DMV bullsh*t here in North Carolina.  Read my story.

I bought an '06 S197 GT last December and called the DMV to make sure I had all the required paperwork.  Around here to get a tag you have to pay the taxes at the DMV first, so I asked how much it would be (they don't take debit cards or checks) so I'd have the right amount.  I was told they couldn't give that info over the phone.  WTF?!  Was the tax value of my car top secret or something?  As it ended up I took about $100 more cash than I needed so I got that part done.

After the tax fisaco I ran into the state inspection crap.  We have to have an inspection once per year otherwise you can't get a renewal sticker for the plate.  The PO had the car inspected just two months prior the same year so I should be good right?  Just to be sure, I went to get an inspection and they told me they couldn't do one because it had already been done for this year.  OK, no problem so I head to the DMV to get my new plate...NOT!  The DMV says the car has to be titled in my name before it can be inspected again, but they won't give me a title until it's been inspected...W-T-F!!!!!!!!!!!  Finally I get a temporary title (or whatever they called it) got the car inspected, and went back to the DMV...AGAIN, and finally got a damn current tag.

The DMV is a motherf*cker to deal with in ANY state.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Most of the states I've lived they require that they physically inspect the VIN for out of state cars whether the number matches the formula or not.

If you can't bring the car down to the DMV any police officer can inspect the VIN and sign the form.

-Victor

You guys should come out and play with California DMV,  you'll go home thanking your lucky stars that you don't live here.  It takes 3 hours to renew a reg around here, and appointments are 3-6 weeks out (depending on where you live).  I went to renew my license in Jan...  I was #117th in line, 2.5 hours later, I had a temp license, that expired 90 days later,  Hard copy came in the mail last week!!

Clueless Leader: S&M Racing:   Building, The Lemonator for Infineon Oct '11, '74 Alfa Romeo Spyder (at some point).   
Driver: Evil Genius Volvo Pointless '11.    Team-ing with Bad Ideas Turbo Beetle Goin for Broken "11

Lemon\ n 1: an acidic yellow usually oblong citrus fruit. 2: something (like an automobile) unsatisfactory or defective

VKZ24 wrote:

The DMV is a motherf*cker to deal with in ANY state.

As much as other people may crucify me for this I'll say the NJ DMV is not bad at all.

It has not always been the case, it used to be the lowest pit of hell I have ever experienced, but over the last 4-5 years its really come around.

I went to register a car yesterday and was in and out with new plates, title and reg card in hand in under 10 minutes.  And it wasn't because the place was empty, it was packed.  They just finally stumbled on a system that works....I have no idea how.

This is not an isolated incident either, in the past 4 years, as long as I do my homework in advance and bring all the required papers it has never taken me more than 15 minutes to get through DMV.

The closest to a "oh shit here it comes" moment I had in recent times was when I registered the Wartburg.  Lady took my papers and asked me to have a seat, which was odd because part of the new process is you are at the counter, start to finish, no take a steat and wait BS.  So a few minutes later she calls me over and flips her computer screen around and informs me that when they get a car they've never heard of they are supposed to google it to make sure the photos I gave them are of the right kind of car Im claiming it to be.  but all the photos she pulled up were of my car.   I offhandedly said "welcome to my hell"  she laughed and handed me my new plates and registration.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

VKZ24 wrote:

Mike we have to deal with the same DMV bullsh*t here in North Carolina.

Heh...the Mercedes had an NC title from the previous owner in Charlotte.  That was a whole extra bit of hassle...the title had to be notarized and have a BoS and all that crap...which they don't seem to require if you purchased the vehicle in state.  Luckily, SC doesn't have inspections so I got to skip all that nonsense- though I have lived in MD and NY, which both require annual inspections. 

Things that piss me off:

1) A system that automatically assumes it is correct and you are wrong.
2) Autonomous government officials who can seemingly run their own fiefdoms and make decisions based on #1.
3) Unhelpful government officials who, when presented with a Catch 22 such as mine or the NC example, don't even offer a reasonable way to comply with the capricious decrees of #2.
4) Government "services" which, in this point in our technological advancement, still require you to take a half day off work and drive 30 miles to transact.

mechimike wrote:

Things that piss me off:

1) A system that automatically assumes it is correct and you are wrong.
2) Autonomous government officials who can seemingly run their own fiefdoms and make decisions based on #1.
3) Unhelpful government officials who, when presented with a Catch 22 such as mine or the NC example, don't even offer a reasonable way to comply with the capricious decrees of #2.
4) Government "services" which, in this point in our technological advancement, still require you to take a half day off work and drive 30 miles to transact.

What gets me is the attitude of people who don't really have "customers" to satisfy.  In your case, will that unhelpful person ever be fired because everyone he/she dealt with left unhappy?  Not a chance.  If I piss off our customers my boss will make sure I don't continue to do so via the unemployment line.

Captain

Columbus, Ohio is awesome.  If you have an out of state car, yes, they need to verify the VIN but there are a ton of places to do it.  Other than that, bring in a title and you're good to go.  $5 transfer fee plus sales tax and registrar fee, all paid at the same time, and you get a title printed right there.  There are a few places that have serious waits, but I've figured out the sweet spots without lines.  You get the title at a title office then get plates at a registrar.  The last car I had took me less than an hour to leave work, get the title, get the tags, and get back to work.  Most of that was travel time.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

JThw8 wrote:

So a few minutes later she calls me over and flips her computer screen around and informs me that when they get a car they've never heard of they are supposed to google it to make sure the photos I gave them are of the right kind of car Im claiming it to be.  but all the photos she pulled up were of my car.

That's awesome.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

VKZ24 wrote:

The question is...is there a state in which dealing with the DMV isn't a PITA?

Here in WA it's called the Department of Licensing (DOL) and, in its defense, I've got to admit the personnel been quite reasonable and accommodating with the many peculiar issues which have arisen over my vehicles:

My '37 Plymouth is titled under its engine number, as was usually the case back then, but it now has had a different '37 Plymouth engine in it for several years, so the title number is nowhere to be found on the vehicle.  No problem.  The person behind the counter understood entirely.  It's still titled on the basis of its original engine number.

My '82 MG Metro has what seems to be a "standard" seventeen-character VIN, but at the time Austin-Rover didn't bother to fully follow the ISO 3779 implementation, so a regular decoder will interpret it as a British-built 1980 Audi (!) with an error in the check digit (!!).  No problem.  Overriden without even inspecting the car itself.

My '80 KV Mini 1 has a three-digit VIN.  The entire VIN is 976.  This did require inspection, particularly since it was coming from GA without a title or previous GA registration (just the French paperwork and a bill of sale), but the only repercussion was that I had to wait three years before receiving a clear title, as is the case for any vehicle over which ownership is potentially in dispute.  The registration, on the other hand, was granted immediately.

My HMV Freeway is an early '81, so it doesn't have a standard VIN (not required until later in '81).  No problem, even though quite a few people assume that all '81 vehicles should have standard VINs, just because many major manufacturers adopted them before this became strictly mandatory.  My guess is that's part of the problem with mechimike's '80 Mercedes-- it's sort of standardized but not entirely, like my MG, because compliance was voluntary at the time.

Both of my '67 SAABs are titled as '68s, which again was common practice back then [for foreign or minor manufacturers] when the vehicle didn't sell until the following year.  Discrepancy between the serial number range and the "year" on the title?  No problem.  Again, the person at the counter was well-informed, sympathetic, and helpful.  They're still titled and registered as '68s.

Seems weird, but I'm pretty happy about the whole system here, actually.  Well, except for the fact that vehicle licenses and drivers licenses are handled in different locations.  That still strikes me as odd.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mechimike wrote:

The DMV, on the other hand...I walk in, get my paperwork to fill out, and sit down.

The State of Louisiana doesn't recognize bonded titles. This is primarily because of problems "washing" (pun intended) of titles on flood cars following Hurricane Katrina. The problem here? Most of the states that neighbor Louisiana don't issue titles for vehicles over 10+ years. And then there's the whole "lost title / mechanic's lein" route, which believe me is more trouble than worth.

My old boss tried that with an abandoned bike we had in the shop. After 10 months of back and forth with the state (with no success) jumping through each hoop "Oh, you have to be a certified service station...oh you also have to be a certified towing station...blah blah blah" we finally just said "Screw it" and sold it for parts (with a notarized bill of sale) because it was clear we were never going to see a title.

This is why titled frames are sometimes worth their weight in gold....

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

mharrell wrote:

Seems weird, but I'm pretty happy about the whole system here, actually.  Well, except for the fact that vehicle licenses and drivers licenses are handled in different locations.  That still strikes me as odd.

The DMV handles both licensing and registration in NC and both are also in different locations.

If you want a challenge try to find the one that issues the plates in the phonebook.  Hint: It's not listed under "DMV".  WTF?

Captain

Other than the hour or so long wait my DMV experience registering an Opel that had been abandoned in a field for 25 years went surprisingly well. When asked the make of the car I replied "Opel.", and she asked who made it? "Opel'. (Alan registered his as a Buick.) But other than that amusing glitch it went well. I showed her our paperwork, she looked up our car, it was still in the computer, and a few minutes later I had my plates and temporary title. The official title came in the mail a week or so later.

The thing about the wait was I got to watch these people work. The work looks like a real grind, and it is tedious, and mistakes, when made, can really screw people's day. The rules are not actually complicated in the abstract concepts sense, but there are so many of them as there are so many types of vehicles, licenses, situations... like ours, registering a derelict car. I actually admired them for being able to get it all done and keep the line moving and not going postal on us.

And then there are the people they serve, ranging from marginal to whatever, not a clientele that I would enjoy working with day in and day out, not that I am some kind of snob or anything, but it really helps if you can read. Considering the aggravation the "customers" are already experiencing, well, I doubt I'd make any friends in that crowd. And these DMV folks deal with "us" everyday, except Fridays, because now we have furloughs thrown in on top of this.

Going to Mexico my friend forgot his passport.  We were at the customs line entering the Mexicain side.  The customs officer grabed his head, squeeled a little, flapped his arms and said I can help you if you help me. 

We called my friend Andrew Jackson, as that was his passport for the rest of the trip. 

Corruption isn't always a bad thing.

This space for rent.

I've never had an issue in the past with registering any of my aged/ decrepit fleet; as mharrel points out the older cars were a mish-mash of this and that for VINs.  My Volvo Amazons from the 60's only have a 5 or 6 digit VIN.  The "standardization" seems to have occured right around the '80-'81 timeframe, and for American makes it's probably no big deal, but for "dem ferrin cars" it took a bit longer. 

I also got the impression the DMV was implementing some nationwide system of tracking VINs, and it may have been this system that was causing the hiccups. 

Yeah, why do different states call it different things?  DMV was the old standby, but I guess that acronym ended up with so much baggage and so many horror stories some states tried to "remake" their DMVs into MVAs, DOLs, and god-knows what all.  Irritatingly, in SC you have to pay your car taxes at a different building than you get your plates at, though in Greenville city those building are across the street from each other, so that's usually where I end up going.

MM,  So did you pick up a wash bucket yet?  My car is so freaking dirty!!

This space for rent.

VKZ24 wrote:

I can't vouch for the whole state of FL, but I can tell you that Pinellas County has a good system. I've done walk-in and been out in anywhere from 20-45 minutes usually. But, they also have a system where you can make an appointment online or via phone. And if you make your appointment early in the day (to be sure they're not running behind on their appointments... just like at the docs office) and don't pick a day like at the beginning of the month or Monday, you can get in and out REALLY quickly.

My wife was dreading registering her new car and asking for a temp tag for the old car while we sell it. She made an appointment last week, was in and out in about 10 minutes, and had nothing but good things to say about how courteous, professional and knowledgeable the lady who helped her was!

Here's what she said about it on Facebook:
"How bizarre is it that the best customer service experience I've had in a long time came from the DMV today? They were fast, friendly, courteous, and had a clue."

So, yes... it is possible for a DMV office to be run well!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

mechimike wrote:

...the older cars were a mish-mash of this and that for VINs.

Cars.  That's right, I forgot to mention my trailer.  I bought it in Washington but it was originally homebuilt in Colorado back before that state adopted standard VINs for state-assigned purposes; in fact it was still on a Colorado plate (the seller had just finished moving here with it).  Its VIN ends with the state abbreviation, CO.  But modern VINs don't ever, ever, EVER use the letter "O" because it looks too much like a zero.  The Colorado paperwork also contained some zeroes, however, and they were distinctly different.  The person at the WA DOL finally gave up trying to get the state computer system to accept an "O" in the VIN and entered the VIN as ending in zero, C0, which I suppose means that it's now slightly more difficult to track its history, should any official entity ever care.  Oh, well.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

NSF wrote:

MM,  So did you pick up a wash bucket yet?  My car is so freaking dirty!!

You should see our LTD Landau.  It has 15 years of Georgia mold encrusted into the paint.  Its filthy.  I've told the team to make sure they don't inadventently clean any of it off, either.  You guys are going to have your work cut out for you scrubbing 1500 square feet of sheet metal.  Oh, and mind the vinyl top- I don't want any more of it peeling off!  Come to think of it, we should try to fill all those rust holes in the roof so you guys don't get soap scum all over the nice interior.

Please, please, PLEASE don't confuse the SCDMV with the SCDOT.  DMV issues licenses, DOT fixes potholes.  DOT gets it funding from the gas taxes (which means less gas sold because of high prices, the less $ to fix the roads....).  The DOT office I work out of is next door to the DMV.  I have had several "concerned" individuals come in asking how to resolve tickets, etc........  Sorry, we only pave roads!!!!

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I've got a DMV story to share...  Back in '09 we had a huge hail storm here, which totaled out my car, a '91 Sentra.  Oddly enough, I never bothered to change it from having full coverage (I was the original owner), so I decided to take their offer and buy back the car, but I had to present the title to do this.  So, my wife and I went through every box of important papers we could find, looking for a 19 year old title.

We found information from the bank when the loan was paid off, found the original window sticker, maintenance records from the original dealer, all sorts of other papers, but no title.

Called the local DMV, they had no record of any title.  Called the main Texas offices, same story.  Called the DMV in Illinois where we used to live when we bought it, nothing.  Called the offices in Missouri (where the car was purchased), nothing.  Called the bank, in case maybe they never mailed it when we paid off the car, nothing.  Lots of running around and finger pointing, but nothing at all productive.  And the insurance folks insist they can't do anything without a title, but suggest getting a bonded title.

So, back to the DMV to get the forms, got a notarized statement from the bank that they have no financial interest in the car, and finally got a bond statement (whatever they call that) from the insurance company.

Back to the DMV to turn it all in, paperwork from the insurance company had a field typed wrong and it didn't match, back to them, back again to the DMV.  Another error on another page, back to the insurance company, back to the DMV.  Vaguely remember some other hiccup, had to come back yet again after correcting that.  Finally get all the paperwork done, back at the DMV, they take all the papers in the back, supervisor comes out, lots of consultation, and finally they end up sending me to another office 20 miles away to turn it in there because they can't process it at their location.

So, eventually, several weeks after beginning the process, I finally received the bonded title, for a car that I originally purchased new 19 years prior, all so that I could have the insurance company total it out and allow me to buy it back.  But, the happy ending was that I then sold it so that it begin its new life as a Lemons car.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

mechimike wrote:

I have lived in MD and NY, which both require annual inspections.

Negative. Maryland requires an inspection ONCE - upon initial registration (not titling - so you can fix the shitheap while it's titled in your name) of a newly transferred car that did not already have a current in-state registration.

There are bi-annual emissions inspections (or, in the case of late models, OBD2 functionality checks), though - but those aren't exactly arduous, and they have fair bypass rules - if you fail, you have to spend up to $500 to fix it. If you spend $500 and it's still not fixed, you get to waive the test and continue on your merry way.

Maryland actually has a pretty well done system for the basics - titling, registration, and driver licensing of normal cars and normal drivers. Anything more "complicated", though, and you're better off paying the extra money and having a commercial agent do the work for you.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear