Re: SCDMV Rant. Yes, the DMV disappoints once again...

The question is...is there a state in which dealing with the DMW isn't a PITA?

Oklahoma. The state sets the standards for documentation and licenses private Tag Agencies to handle the customers. Most of them do everything from tags to licenses to hunting permits to boat titles. The closest I've had to a problem is when I bought my '69 Cadillac with an indian tag. The previous owner hadn't transferred the title to him, but a bill of sale from him to me took care of it.

it's funny. I used to cry foul at the mere thought of entering a DMV line to renew registration. After going through the process in both michigan and ohio, then hearing the typical horror stories from pretty much every other state. I have to say, we're blessed over here!

Examples:

Ohio BMV (bureau of motor vehicles) allows plate renewals by mail, person or online. in person is the quickest, and if you need new plates they just pull a set from the back shelf, staple some stickers to your memo title or registration receipt, and you're done. Also, when you're there for registering, instead of providing proof of insurance (which in some states is a crazy exercise in futility for a car not registered in your name in the first place) they just have you sign a 30day waiver that has you swearing up n down the car WILL have insurance within 30 days

Michigan Secretary of State (SOS offices) I tried registering an 89 mercedes in mich that i bough in ohio that was never retitled from the original owner who sold it to a dealer in florida. after tracking the last actual owners listed on the title, it was pretty much considered an exercise in futility to get it titled in my name. Well, as it stands, if the car's more than 6yrs old, and more than 100k, and has no title, you can just call up the local PD, get a vehicle inspection, take the paper from the inspection to the SOS office, they run the VIN through the national db to make sure it's not stolen, and can issue a new title. some places for an extra $30 will generate a new title on site provided the inspection passes. this was the seriously what i thought would be the worst nightmare-turned relief I've ever had with any car/dmv office. Cop even pulls up to do the inspection, i tell him a little background on the car, and since it's 20yrs old and german, there's no "inspection" tag. guy calls his captain and gets a judgement call on wrapping up the car's look-over, national database clears the car the same day, and I'm out maybe an hour between 2 days to get a new, original title. How's that for surprise awesome?

Massachusetts isn't too terrible; the one thing that gets me is having to pay blue-book sales tax on a car based on model, year, and mileage - I buy bargains and have to claim the tax back later with a form that gets lost too frequently.

twostrokev8 wrote:

Massachusetts isn't too terrible; the one thing that gets me is having to pay blue-book sales tax on a car based on model, year, and mileage - I buy bargains and have to claim the tax back later with a form that gets lost too frequently.

There's a reason we Red-Staters refer to it as "Tax-achusettes".

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Serj wrote:

Well, as it stands, if the car's more than 6yrs old, and more than 100k, and has no title, you can just call up the local PD, get a vehicle inspection, take the paper from the inspection to the SOS office, they run the VIN through the national db to make sure it's not stolen, and can issue a new title. some places for an extra $30 will generate a new title on site provided the inspection passes. this was the seriously what i thought would be the worst nightmare-turned relief I've ever had with any car/dmv office. Cop even pulls up to do the inspection, i tell him a little background on the car, and since it's 20yrs old and german, there's no "inspection" tag. guy calls his captain and gets a judgement call on wrapping up the car's look-over, national database clears the car the same day, and I'm out maybe an hour between 2 days to get a new, original title. How's that for surprise awesome?

Wow!!  That's good to know!  I wonder if there's a similar process for Ohio?  Might make all the "title-less" vehicles more appetizing.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:
Serj wrote:

Well, as it stands, if the car's more than 6yrs old, and more than 100k, and has no title, you can just call up the local PD, get a vehicle inspection, take the paper from the inspection to the SOS office, they run the VIN through the national db to make sure it's not stolen, and can issue a new title. some places for an extra $30 will generate a new title on site provided the inspection passes. this was the seriously what i thought would be the worst nightmare-turned relief I've ever had with any car/dmv office. Cop even pulls up to do the inspection, i tell him a little background on the car, and since it's 20yrs old and german, there's no "inspection" tag. guy calls his captain and gets a judgement call on wrapping up the car's look-over, national database clears the car the same day, and I'm out maybe an hour between 2 days to get a new, original title. How's that for surprise awesome?

Wow!!  That's good to know!  I wonder if there's a similar process for Ohio?  Might make all the "title-less" vehicles more appetizing.

Well, Serj actually is in Ohio... so, you're probably good to go!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:
dculberson wrote:

Well, Serj actually is in Ohio... so, you're probably good to go!

Heh heh.. in my defense, the part of the paragraph I cut out begins "Michigan secretary of state.."

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Compared to California, that sounds like a very pleasant experience. I've had warrants for my arrest issued due to registration fuckups by the CA DMV.

Armed DMV agents came to my house, arrested me, and took me to jail because I got a state inspection for the Lemons car. After that I don't really mind the standing in line thing.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

Armed DMV agents came to my house, arrested me, and took me to jail because I got a state inspection for the Lemons car. After that I don't really mind the standing in line thing.

^^Funniest comment in quite some time...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

rmcdaniels wrote:

OK, WTF, do you live in CA?

Please elaborate?

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

OK, WTF, do you live in CA?

Please elaborate?

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=8029

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons