Topic: So ..... what's the official tally on the Lamest Day entry?

So .... now that the final payment deadline has passed can someone tell us what the total number of entries accepted for Lamest Day?

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Re: So ..... what's the official tally on the Lamest Day entry?

Do we still think there will be around 120 cars?  Guesses?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I am more worried about chicanes...hoping its balls out.  120 cars would be fun but I am betting on 40 or so.

4 (edited by bongle 2009-08-10 11:15 AM)

Nick has said there would be a car list posted within a couple weeks.

I am more worried about chicanes...hoping its balls out.  120 cars would be fun but I am betting on 40 or so.

This is extremely unlikely.  They ran 53 cars at the half-mile oval in Toledo last year, they won't be accepting fewer for a track five times longer.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Yep, they ran 56 at Stafford, 100 at Reno, and 95 at CMP.   CMP is 1 mile, so 120+ wouldn't be unreasonable on a 2 mile track.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Reno was far from crowded, if that's a good comparison

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

7 (edited by Jeff G 78 2009-08-10 11:55 AM)

Reno was 3 miles long wasn't it?  Also, from the videos, it looked really wide.  NL is much narrower and 2 miles long...and at night cool

'74 260Z

I cant wait... all paid up with no where to go...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Wow 100 cars...can't wait to get the official word.

Jeff G 78 One of our team members showed up with a 74ish Datsun 280Z the other day he randomly bought, its an old car addiction. big_smile

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Wow 100 cars...can't wait to get the official word.

Jeff G 78 One of our team members showed up with a 74ish Datsun 280Z the other day he randomly bought, its an old car addiction. big_smile

Cool, where's he from?

'74 260Z

It will be a 100+ field. We're pretty sure there will be some kind of chicane in/around turn 11, but we won't know that until we arrive on the ground.

Still a lot of flux as guys get their teams together (or not), so I'm going to hold off on the team list for a little while longer.

just don't make it a super-tight "line of cars/first gear" type chicane like CMP '08...please?  smile

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I ran there in what was a pretty big IT field(40) in the 90's.  Its pretty narrow, but super fun.  The track was a coarse surface, so bring tires.

Hanger on!??!

Word is the final number is 130!!! There were 180 with intent to enter and I told Jay that 130 would be the same track density of Toledo last year. So he agreed and set the limit there. Should be utter mayhem. As far as the chicane at 11, I'm still debating that. With the disparity of car and driver capabilities, we may leave the track open with just a one lane deal under the bridge to get cars out of the pitlane. Visibility is kinda poor there and it's easy to almost hit someone already on the track. I nearly got a spec racer Ford when I was coming out the the pits last weekend. So we'll see about turn 11. I'm kicking around another idea...
Mwahahahahaha!!!

On another note... I had the idea of letting all 180 enter the race. We split the  group in half. Group A runs the first twelve with group B running the second half. We then take the top 20/30 of each group and have an hour sprint for all the marbles!!! Obviously since we're doing the full 24 this year, we're not doing that. But what would you all think of that format for next year?

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Thanks for the word Bryan and thanks for keeping the track open!!!  Even though this is my first Lemons race, from what I've read, it sure sounds like the chicane experiments have done nothing but cause trouble and further wrinkle a bunch of sheet metal. 

Now, if you could just give the paddock an extra dose of mosquito spray before the race, we'd appreciate it big_smile

'74 260Z

They spray every week for the child stealing (and small dog/cat) mosquitoes we used to have. It's the tirewall water drinking mutant animals you have to watch out for. Especially the legendary deer-beast. I've seen him and he's huge!!! Trees go down in his wake. Bowhunters run in fear!!! Formula car drivers go under him at speed... You get the idea.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

The last time I was at Nelson, at about 125mph I hit a beaver or ground hog just before the kink right at dusk.  It ripped the splitter off the car which, in turn, sheared off the oil filter and water to air intercooler.  I lost a ton of oil and coolant in a real hurry and it all went under the rear tires making the kink quite a challenge.  A deer ran across the track in front of me the prior lap at the same spot.  So racers beware, the NL wildlife doesn't know how to use the bridge!

'74 260Z

Bryan KF8G wrote:

They spray every week for the child stealing (and small dog/cat) mosquitoes we used to have. It's the tirewall water drinking mutant animals you have to watch out for. Especially the legendary deer-beast. I've seen him and he's huge!!! Trees go down in his wake. Bowhunters run in fear!!! Formula car drivers go under him at speed... You get the idea.

So bow hunting during the race (archer season starts last week in September...)?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

LOL!!! Just make  sure your driver suit is hunter orange!!!

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

As a fan who has spectated at the track a few times, I am glad they are not putting a chicane in at the Kink.

The track is so narrow back there, and with 130 cars, it would cause far more problems than it would save.

It will be interesting watching all those cars barrell through the kink, and then clamp down on the brakes going into the final left and right hand series of corners leading onto the front stretch.

I had a chance to drive the track in 2007 in my own car during laps for MS.  The track is surprisingly quick.  It is fairly smooth in spots, but very rough at Oak Tree Turn.

The Carousel leading onto the back straight is also very tough to get right.  If you mess it up, there will be cars flying by you on the backstretch.

To all entered.  Have a blast.  My group of family and friends is just spectating this year, with the hope to enter next year.

The Happy Track Fan wrote:

As a fan who has spectated at the track a few times, I am glad they are not putting a chicane in at the Kink.

The track is so narrow back there, and with 130 cars, it would cause far more problems than it would save.

Uhhh, where did you figure that out?!  Bryan's post says that the chicane at 11 (the kink) is still up in the air.  Honestly, a chicane at the kink would probably be a good idea depending on how many Nelson rookies & cars with marginal brakes show up.... especially if it rains!  The end of the back straight is the ideal place to turn a LeMon into LeMonaide & a chicane at the kink is the only way to save someone a major headache.  I'd go so far as to predict the demise of the corner station at the end of the straight if the kink is left open...... wink

The single lane at the bridge is also a good idea in that it should drop the speeds in turn 1 for a good portion of the race.  We had figured there might be another chicane on the front straight since turn one is fast, but getting the field single file might slow the pack up enough, yet still keep things interesting.

Eric

Hey EBudman:

This was the quote I saw when I said that I was happy they weren't putting a chicane in.

"As far as the chicane at 11, I'm still debating that. With the disparity of car and driver capabilities, we may leave the track open with just a one lane deal under the bridge to get cars out of the pitlane. Visibility is kinda poor there and it's easy to almost hit someone already on the track. I nearly got a spec racer Ford when I was coming out the the pits last weekend. So we'll see about turn 11. I'm kicking around another idea..."

Whatever happens, happens.  I just hope they don't put one in.  I can understand your concerns, but trying to file that many cars through a tight chicane lap after lap is eventually going to cause problems.  Then again, flying off at the kink will also cause issues.  Either way, it will be interesting to say the least.

The Happy Track Fan wrote:

Either way, it will be interesting to say the least.

No argument there!!  big_smile

130 is a realistic guess, though the final field is currently in flux with bailout/waitlist switchouts. The chicane situation won't be finalized until race weekend--we'll try to find the best compromise between creating a log jam and keeping everyone safe.

We elected to run no chicanes at the Lost Hill at Buttonwillow, and BAM! Someone's on their roof. Now, if you guys would stop doing that....

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

130 is a realistic guess, though the final field is currently in flux with bailout/waitlist switchouts. The chicane situation won't be finalized until race weekend--we'll try to find the best compromise between creating a log jam and keeping everyone safe.

We elected to run no chicanes at the Lost Hill at Buttonwillow, and BAM! Someone's on their roof. Now, if you guys would stop doing that....

It's like we need roll cages for a reason... smile