1 (edited by swest 2009-08-10 01:07 PM)

Topic: Hybrid helmets

Anyone know if a hybrid helmet like this (closed face but no face shield) is legal for Lemons?

http://www.gforce.com/products/pimages/full/full_3006.jpg

Member of Team Magnum PU

Re: Hybrid helmets

I ran that very helmet at Reno...approved by HRH Lamm personally. It's SA2005 and it's very comfortable. Wish I could afford a HANS to go with it

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

As long as it's Snell SA2005 approved. You'd probably need to wear a nomex head sleeve though.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Cool, good to know.

One more question.  I heard at the last CMP race that you had to have a helmet with faceshield to do refueling, so I'm assuming I can't use this to help refuel on a pit stop.  I have another M2000 helmet that has a face shield.  Could I use it just for refueling?

Member of Team Magnum PU

I would say that no, you shouldn't use an M rated helmet for refueling because it does not possess any flame retardant material like the SA helmets do.  Just my opinion though, someone else may want to take a stab at it.

I don't think anyone will actually check you refueling the car, but they may be able to see the little "Lemons Approved" sticker that they place on each helmet from a distance and just might say something.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

cpmskinny is spot-on on the lack of flame retardant materials in M helmets. Bottom line, you shouldn't bring an M helmet anywhere near a Lemons race unless you rode a bike to get there. And even then the bike better be something cool like a Hodaka or some kind of two-stroke death trap. No V-Rods.

Just consulted with Jay on the hybrid helmet issue, and this was his reply:

If I really ok'd one of these, it was a mistake on my part. These are NOT acceptable--fixed hybrids like these, are just half-face helmets with a rigid glass front instead of a snap-down front. Either way, they're not full-face and don't have the same level of protection.

Is the issue the lack of a visor, or the structure of the helmet?   While I'd admit that the helmet obviously doesn't have the eye protection of a helmet with a flip-down visor, from the description here it sounds like it has every bit as good a chin bar as a regular full-face.   

I have to replace my open-face helmet for Lamest Day, and figured this would be better than getting one with a visor and leaving it flipped up the whole time.     Can we assume that running with your visor up won't be allowed either?

SA 2005 should be all you need to know...never heard of an approved helmet being rejected because it doesn't have a visor unless you're in an open wheel car

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:

SA 2005 should be all you need to know...never heard of an approved helmet being rejected because it doesn't have a visor unless you're in an open wheel car

Well, there are SA 2005 open-faced helmets, but that doesn't mean the insurance companies have approved them.     

Last year at Toledo I ran the open-faced Bell I had from when I was doing SCCA ProRally.  I bought goggles to wear, expecting there to be a lot of wind and debris in my face, but after a test drive I ended up just wearing my eyeglasses.

When you put a full face next to a shield-less hybrid, the construction is almost the exactly the same.  Unless we have air fed coolers and are wearing our visors down, I can't see how there will be any difference in safety.  The only difference between the two is the lack of indentation for the shield to close into and the visor ilo the shield.

I wear a regular full face helmet, so this doesn't affect me, but from a crash safety standpoint, I cannot see why they would be any different.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

When you put a full face next to a shield-less hybrid, the construction is almost the exactly the same.  Unless we have air fed coolers and are wearing our visors down, I can't see how there will be any difference in safety.  The only difference between the two is the lack of indentation for the shield to close into and the visor ilo the shield.

I wear a regular full face helmet, so this doesn't affect me, but from a crash safety standpoint, I cannot see why they would be any different.

I feel the hybrid is safer than a full-face visor helmet in a closed car. Few tin top drivers close the visor and unless there's a very positive up lock, the visor can flip down accidentally, a distraction. The visor is not designed to be used in the car at speed when open....and visibility is lower with the visor down. A locked up visor can also hang up on the car's interior when you're trying to make a fast exit. Then there's the fogging/ventilation issue. The hybrid pictured is a full face helmet, period. They're approved and used in racing series with much higher speeds/risk than Lemons; I'd be surprised that an insurer would have a preference for a visor in a closed car. I wonder if the policies are written with open wheel F1200, FF, etc. in mind.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

The larger issue here is not helmet construction but the exact wording of our insurance agreement. It simply says "full face helmet." We don't want to have a situation where someone gets hurt and it comes out that "well, it's not a full-face helmet, it's more of a hybrid...." and our insurance coverage gets jeopardized as a result. Without our insurance agreement, we wouldn't be racing--so it's in everyone's best interests to not probe the limits of that agreement.

A semi-shameless plug--I took a quick look and it seems like the hybrid helmets run about $200. The full-face Pyrotect unit through the Lemons Yahoo store is $250. While I've always cringed at the rich-guy racing adage "if you've got a $200 head, get a $200 helmet" (after all, if you had any sense at all, you wouldn't be racing in the first place), it's definitely not worth pushing things into the gray area for a mere $50.

So that helmet is definitely not acceptable for CMP? Because I just bought that exact helmet to replace my old crappy open-faced autocross helmet. It's my understanding that it is a "full face" helmet, as opposed to an "open face" helmet, which is what I used to have.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

The larger issue here is not helmet construction but the exact wording of our insurance agreement. It simply says "full face helmet." We don't want to have a situation where someone gets hurt and it comes out that "well, it's not a full-face helmet, it's more of a hybrid...." and our insurance coverage gets jeopardized as a result. Without our insurance agreement, we wouldn't be racing--so it's in everyone's best interests to not probe the limits of that agreement.

A semi-shameless plug--I took a quick look and it seems like the hybrid helmets run about $200. The full-face Pyrotect unit through the Lemons Yahoo store is $250. While I've always cringed at the rich-guy racing adage "if you've got a $200 head, get a $200 helmet" (after all, if you had any sense at all, you wouldn't be racing in the first place), it's definitely not worth pushing things into the gray area for a mere $50.

What are the chances of asking the insurance company?  I understand the mere $50 arguement if I was buying a new helmet anyway, but since I already own this helmet and don't need to replace it till the end of next year for any other motorsports I do, it becomes a bigger deal than $50.

Member of Team Magnum PU

jimeditorial wrote:

Unfortunately not because SA 2005 only has to do with impact resistance and flame retardancy.  Nothing to do with exterior design.  There are forms of racing out there that don't require closed helmets, and thats what those are for, however Lemons isn't one of them.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

16 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-08-26 06:58 AM)

What's a "closed" helmet? If the helmet is full face, approved, but doesn't have a visor, how is it any less safe than a "full face" with the visor locked up or removed? I think the problem here is terminology; by "hybrid" I think of an MX helmet with a separate attached chin guard...if the construction of the SA helmet matches the "full face" then it ought to be OK in a closed car. These are purpose built one-piece helmets, not a modification of an open face design... I'll bet if G-Force called it a visorless full-face helmet there wouldn't be an issue. I'll also bet that if it had "Bell" or "Simpson" on the label we wouldn't be having this dialog either. This is about getting the wording right to avoid insurance issues. Let's get everybody who owns one of these to get together and get a statement from the manufacturer about construction and safety relative to the same company's "full face" designs and get it to Jay so he can pass it to the insurance carrier. Then everybody can sleep...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

swest wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

What are the chances of asking the insurance company?  I understand the mere $50 arguement if I was buying a new helmet anyway, but since I already own this helmet and don't need to replace it till the end of next year for any other motorsports I do, it becomes a bigger deal than $50.

You can always ask the insurance company, but like the IRS, all opinions given prior to a claim being made are simply advisory unless they are willing to put a waiver, rider, or other legally-binding commitment on paper. Chance of that happening? Not as good as me selling a snowball to an Alaskan.

Always remember that the primary reflex of an insurance company is typically to deny a claim based on whatever flimsy evidence they have that the claim does not fit within the four corners of the issued policy unless and until they are forced to pay the claim, or make the determination that paying it now will be cheaper than fighting it out long term (thus quickie insurance settlements in soft-tissue injury car accidents where the injured is not yet represented by counsel and doesn't know that they're getting jobbed). I say this from the perspective of having worked for defendants who had insurance policies backing them; I'm not even a PI lawyer. But I've seen the insurance companies do their best to screw everybody involved (including their insureds) just to not pay a valid claim. And I've seen it happen over and over and over again.

As always, the rule is that insurance sucks, but is a practical necessity in a complex operating environment. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Sure, but we're not talking about claims here...this is about the wording that excludes helmets that are not "full face". The intent of the wording is to keep open face helmets out, sensibly. If the helmet manufacturer can certify that this particular "hybrid" is in fact a full face helmet and the insurer agrees, it's fine. Seems to me that G-Force would have an interest in doing this

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:

Sure, but we're not talking about claims here...this is about the wording that excludes helmets that are not "full face". The intent of the wording is to keep open face helmets out, sensibly. If the helmet manufacturer can certify that this particular "hybrid" is in fact a full face helmet and the insurer agrees, it's fine. Seems to me that G-Force would have an interest in doing this

The problem is you're asking them to define full face helmet, and more than likely they are going to err on the side of caution.  I worked for an insurance company for 6 years, sometimes on similar things. 

My point being, dont waste your money buy a full visored helmet.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

But there's no suggestion that the insurance company excludes this model of helmet...G-Force may market it as "hybrid", whatever that means in this context, but if it's full face, and the maker proves the construction is the same as their approved visored helmets, there shouldn't be an issue either way....the idea is to protect both the insurer and Lemons with a clear understanding of what the helmet is, which G-Force can (should) provide...nobody is asking the insurer to change the policy

Jim "Endo" Anderton

This is retarded. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can send my new helmet back for one with a smaller eye port and a visor which will probably do nothing but annoy me. Thankfully I haven't worn it other than to test the fit, which was great on my enormous melon-head, much better than my old Pyrotect helmet. I love the eyeport too, really good visibility and very comfortable for a glasses-wearer.

For what it's worth, here's ChumpCar's rule wording:

3.9. Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face, Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, is mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed. (Note: A closed or full-face helmet is defined as a helmet having an integrated chin or jaw protection piece. Visor use is recommended but
optional.) Type M (motorcycle helmets) or other non-SA helmets are not allowed.

Wonder if they use the same insurer....

Jim "Endo" Anderton

That makes sense, but it looks like it's going to be a judgement call based on the inspector's interpretation of the Lemons rules when I get to the site. That kind of fuzziness makes me nervous. Looking through a bunch of Lemons YouTube videos, it looks like practically anything goes at an event, and I saw more than one visorless helmet, and some open-faced helmets as well, but I'd hate to show up and have to share a helmet with my brother, who sweats profusely and smells like a sack of monkey crap after 90 minutes of seat time.

What's the final word on this?  I already have one WITH the sticker on it from the previous Houston race.  I would prefer not to have to buy another helmet.

It's not an issue for me personally, but I don't get it.  The G-Force hybrid has an SA2000 stamp...what else do you (the inspectors) need to know?  Visor or no visor has no bearing as far as I can tell.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!