Re: Hybrid helmets

It's nuts. If they didn't call them "hybrids" this wouldn't be an issue...once the insurers figure out that this helmet is safer than a "full face" in a closed car, they'll probably require them....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Sorry to resurrect this post from the dead, but I have the Bell equiv. helmet, the SR Pro.  The new version is named the S2R, but it's essentially similar.  Straight from Bell's site (emphasis mine).

The S2R features a light Fiber-Tech shell, extra large eye opening, CarbonX interior, Venturi chin bar ventilation and aggressively styled sun visor that can be adjusted in multiple positions. The S2R combines the added protection of a full face helmet with the feel of an open face model. It is an excellent choice for all closed car forms of racing including sports car, drifting and autocross.

Does this change the debate at all?

Fissure Brothers Racing
2010 Capitol Offense Rookies

Don't get me going! Most conventional full face helmets are designed for open wheel cars, i.e. free airflow for ventilation and defogging. They're not designed to be used with the visor cracked open or fully up. Safest bet IMO is to either require "hybrid" helmets (which are designed for closed car racing) or removal of the visor on "open face" helmets unless a ventilation system is used. I'm assuming a full windshield here. Hybrid means better visibility and no chance of a visor flopping down or hanging up on the body or roll cage if you need to get out in a hurry. Bell wouldn't build a helmet for closed car use that isn't safe.....but who knows what insurance companies are thinking?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

They should make this style helmet legal! It fits right in.
http://i46.tinypic.com/20fvbc.jpg

Pen

The simple answer is still NO, you cannot use the SR Pro.  It doesn't matter what the website or common sense says.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I ended up getting a full-visor for Lamest Day, which was just as well, since they required that you have a full visor down for fueling- although, come to think of it, that might have been a good excuse to not have to help with fueling.

That Bell SR helmet will not fly. My brother e-mailed JL about and here was the reply:

Hey, Robert: That helmet is not legal for Lemons, sorry. In the past we allowed half-face helmets, so at that point it would have been. We also get inspectors who sometimes don't know the difference between legit full-face helmets and hybrids, so sometimes these do sneak by them. The rule, however, is legit full-face only, which these conversion designs (half-face with a rigid chin bar, rather than full-face in structure and padding) are not. It's not so much a relative safety issue as an insurance issue--the term "full face" is used in our insurance agreement, so that's what we have to enforce.

A visor is not, and never has been, mandatory in all cars. It's always a good idea, and if you don't have a windshield we'll make you run a visor, but otherwise, to run with or without a visor shield is up to the driver.

Hope that answers the question--JL

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't think there was an absolute answer where the thread originally ended.  Now I'm positive.  Thanks again.

MJ

Fissure Brothers Racing
2010 Capitol Offense Rookies

hey guys; If some of you were going back and forth on this stuff based on price, Apex Performance has several LeMons-Legal, Full-Face SA2005/DOT-Approved helmets for under $200

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgeni … elmets.asp

I currently run a Zamp FSA-1 that I've had since 07. Once i removed the breath deflector it was perfect, and I wear glasses. Right now I'm seriously contemplating getting a new one only because I've had mine for over 2 years (useful life/use expectancy is supposed to be 5 years) and the insert's getting scuzzy. Yeah yeah I could yank it and wash it but im always worried I'll never get the padding back in the correct way afterward, lol.

I would hold off on helmet purchases until the new 2010 helmets are out.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

36 (edited by djcommie 2009-12-03 08:54 PM)

jimeditorial wrote:

For what it's worth, here's ChumpCar's rule wording:

3.9. Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face, Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, is mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed. (Note: A closed or full-face helmet is defined as a helmet having an integrated chin or jaw protection piece. Visor use is recommended but
optional.) Type M (motorcycle helmets) or other non-SA helmets are not allowed.

Wonder if they use the same insurer....

That is correct. A 3/4 helmet is a full-face bereft of the chin protection, half having low cheek protection, and 1/4 brainbucket helmets are for straight up idiots. Motocross helmets (although M rated at best and not under consideration other than as compatitive) are a considered full face even with most having no sealing face shield.

Due to the amateur preparation of safety equipment, production car crash design and ergonomics, non-spec cage, and lax Head&Neck Restraint rules (donuts are basically useless in real crash forces which can exist even in Lemons), the best SFI-SA/FIA helmet and head/neck restraint you can afford will increase your comfort and and safety factor due to lighter helmets in the higher price ranges, etc. If you have a crash, a lighter helmet and a HNR system can be the difference between dying of a basilar skull fracture (or even other blunt force trauma) or just needing a back rub and some ice.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

Note about the SA2010 helmets - they won't be out until 2nd or probably 3rd quarter 2010.  That's a long wait...

Scott B
KnoxVegas Leftovers
BetterOffRacing.com