Topic: Judge Sam's thumb sliced off, reattached. Bribe booze helps recovery!

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIS11/LMIS11-UG-0853.jpg

The week after Judge Sam worked the Campaign To Prevent Gingervitis, a workplace table-saw mishap resulted in the removal of half of his right thumb, right through the joint. He found the thumb, put it on ice, and got to the hospital, where they reattached it (if you insist on seeing the doctors' handiwork and have a strong stomach, go here). The top joint had to be fused, but otherwise it appears that the reattachment will work out fine. They make 'em tough in Savage, MN, and Sam no doubt experienced worse pain after bar fights during his years as an oil rig worker in Wyoming, but he says that his stash of bribe booze is making the recovery process much more enjoyable.

So, to all you Gingerman racers who provided Judge Sam with jugs-o-Scotch: thanks!

Re: Judge Sam's thumb sliced off, reattached. Bribe booze helps recovery!

I feel his pain. I rabbeted mine. Did not custom-make a saw-plate when making shingle-cuts in hardwood - one snapped jammed in the blade gap, then slammed my fingers and I flinched... forwards.

Cannot replace a rabbet-mark, the left thumb is now a bit slimmer than the right.

And yeah, now it hurts after reading this post and NO way am I looking.

I like the distal cyanosis. Sexy.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Does he have a stash of leeches to aid in his recovery?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

A real man woulda just stapled it back on and finished the day.

Just messin' with you, Sam. It ain't gonna affect your shooting or love life, so you are good. wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

did that once with a pair of hedge clippers, good times!

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Maybe just maybe the bribe booze could have been a factor in the incident!

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.

Doh....sorry to hear that and glad the recovery is going well.

God knows how any of us survive around power tools, we ain't none too bright.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

9 (edited by mechimike 2011-05-02 09:23 AM)

I have a quote on my wall at work, unattributed.  It sums up my philosophy on the matter:

"Dirty fingernails do not make you a man.  Missing fingernails, that makes you a man."

NPR staple contributor Garrison Keillor once said, "It is a shallow life that leaves a man with no scars."

And then there's my .sig file.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

JThw8 wrote:

^^^ Truth

Heal well, my friend.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Yeow! Get better dude.

Also please note... The pin sticking out the end is NOT meant to use as a back scratcher nor is the protective bracing/cast meant for use as a hammer substitute.

Daniel Sycks

damn. that seriously sucks. it looks like you've got gauze directly no there. speaking from personal experience (here: http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Explo … led-2.jpg) the stuff sticks to the wound constantly and makes it painfull to rebandage.

the hospital gave me gauze that has some jelly in it that makes it not stick. dsycks can probably give you the name of the stuff, i just remember it was in a foil colored package with a big yellow logo on it. it made wound care MUCH easier.

my left is about 1/8" shorter than my right now. about the width of the serious injury. and there's a bit of feeling missing here and there. but otherwise fully functional. hopefully you have the same results.

An easy way to do the same is to simply use gauze with a healthy amount of Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment of your surgeons liking on it to prevent stickage.

Wish I had better insight but the vast majority of my work is based in the early care of such injuries and getting the parts sent to the folks ho put them back on. Next time you cut something off however feel free to give me a call and I'll be happy to lend a hand. wink

Daniel Sycks

Speedycop wrote:

Just messin' with you, Sam. It ain't gonna affect your shooting or love life, so you are good. wink

The first thing that went through my head in the ambulance was "Please God, let me still be able to fire a hand gun."   

Seriously.

"Hello. Can I have you step out of the car please?"

And bribe booze was NOT a factor in  the accident LOL. It WILL be a factor in my recovery however.

JThw8 wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Three times I told myself I wasn't going to look while reading this thread.  I looked.  I'm glad that was an after pic, and not during.  smile

I guess this may be one of the few times going with factory parts is better than going with aftermarket?

Sam, best of luck on your recovery.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

You sure that's factory?  looks like a Chinese knockoff to me.....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

ouch, get well so we can all see the cool new scar.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

It should make an EPIC scar!  smile

Judge Sam wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

The first thing that went through my head in the ambulance was "Please God, let me still be able to fire a hand gun."   

Seriously.

Glad you will be ok, but how the fu&^ do you fire your guns? But upon reflection, maybe doing society a favor if you can't! Support the right to arm Bears!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

what were you building when you did this? i'm guessing there may be a good story behind this.

Sadly, it happened at Sam's day job, which involves making some sort of composite building materials.

The good news: Workman's Comp!

Judge Phil wrote:

Sadly, it happened at Sam's day job, which involves making some sort of composite building materials.

The good news: Workman's Comp!

hopefully he uses the time off to come up with a better story than that smile

something involving a grizzly bear or something smile

The real story is boring. I was cutting on the table saw, the piece I was cutting became bound up, jumped up and spun and SLAMMED my hand into the blade. I am truly blessed that my thumb was all that got bit.

Considering the state of the judicial system here in the US, I thought for sure that any injury involving the thumb of a Justice would ALSO involve damage to the ass of the same individual...