Topic: Powder Coating

Another thread raised a question in my mind. Does powder coating add to cost?

More pointed, does ceramic coating certain engine components count towards the cost? As in the kit to do the work or just the powder used?

I would assume that tools don't count towards cost of car... but you never know.

When in doubt... ask questions.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: Powder Coating

My guess would be that whatever you spend is counted.  If you buy a kit and use $10 worth of powder than you add $10.  If you send it out, then the whole total is added.  I have to ask though.  What in the HELL needs to be powder coated on a Lemons car???  roll

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

What in the HELL needs to be powder coated on a Lemons car???  roll

I answer your question by asking another; What is the number one killer to all components in an endurance race?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

4 (edited by ecniv 2009-08-12 04:51 PM)

Smokey would be sad that you asked the question.

Riktor wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

What in the HELL needs to be powder coated on a Lemons car???  roll

I answer your question by asking another; What is the number one killer to all components in an endurance race?

Crappyness? tongue

'74 260Z

Well that's the obvious answer...

Sons of STIG

Vibration? 

Seriously...  The #1 killer of Lemons cars is the fact that they are built from $500 shitcans.  Headgaskets on Hondas fail because they weren't meant for long term full throttle.  Clutches go on 100,000mile cars.  Brake pads/brake fluid because the team of 20 somethings didn't know better.  Less than ideal cooling components (radiators, hoses, etc.) fail do to being shit, not always because of the heat.  Wheel bearings fail cause their old.  Tires get cut down.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The Schumacher Taxi Service has now had 7 entrants in 4 races. 
Here is a list of major failures we had:

Fuel leak out of our charcoal canister
broken lug stud x3
exhaust problem x4
blown coolant system x3
headgasket x2
wheel bearing
hard clutch line cracked
stuck brake caliper
car rolled

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Besides, how is powdercoating going to help?  It's basically paint that won't come off as easy.  Now, it you ceramic coated every component, then you *might* see some improvement.  Even then, your chances of failure are no better than before.  Like Rob said, this ain't the 24 Hours of LeMans.

'74 260Z

10 (edited by Riktor 2009-08-12 05:39 PM)

RobL wrote:

Vibration? 

Seriously...  The #1 killer of Lemons cars is the fact that they are built from $500 shitcans.  Headgaskets on Hondas fail because they weren't meant for long term full throttle.  Clutches go on 100,000mile cars.  Brake pads/brake fluid because the team of 20 somethings didn't know better.  Less than ideal cooling components (radiators, hoses, etc.) fail do to being shit, not always because of the heat.  Wheel bearings fail cause their old.  Tires get cut down.

Everything dies faster due to heat. As you listed:

Head gaskets due to increased heat retention in the head and block from higher RPM running and increased pressure due to heat. Or uneven metal expansion due to a shitty thermostat and different alloy mixture in the head and block.

Clutch material weakens with increased heat retnetion and the friction material will become hard and brittle.

Brake pads and fluid designed for ~400 degrees are now seeing ~500-600+

Radiators doing their best to extract heat but failing due to minimal cooling surface area, high pressures, engine bay turbulence and radiant heat from the 1200 degree exhaust manifold two inches from it.

Wheel bearings metal degredation over time is accelerated due to increased load and unload causing greater friction and... HEAT...

You see... even crap cars can be made to last if the HEAT can be dealt with properly.

Sons of STIG

11 (edited by RobL 2009-08-12 05:54 PM)

Dude, this isn't F1, Nascar, Rolex, or any other high end racing where speeds are over 150 and you need some serious power (heat) to get there.  You are over thinking it.  If you want to spend money powder coating things and thinking that it's going to stop the $1 hose clamp from failing, be my guest.  If you want to look to someone who's been to this rodeo a couple of times now - I invested my time and energy into making our cars run and stop reliably.

Think about what you would need to drive 1000 miles at 80mph and work from that list.  I bet it doesn't include much powder coating.

RobL wrote:

Dude, this isn't F1, Nascar, Rolex, or any other high end racing where speeds are over 150 and you need some serious power (heat) to get there.  You are over thinking it.  If you want to spend money powder coating things and thinking that it's going to stop the $1 hose clamp from failing, be my guest.  If you want to look to someone who's been to this rodeo a couple of times now - I invested my time and energy into making our cars run and stop reliably.

Think about what you would need to drive 1000 miles at 80mph and work from that list.  I bet it doesn't include much powder coating.

Over-engineering sure... I just know what fails with the cars I have built and worked on.

No reason to get worked up over a simple question. Besides.. if I invest in ceramic coating items that means less money for the items you see as important.

Wouldn't that mean that you now have the advantage?

Sons of STIG

It's been awhile since engineering school, but doesn't ceramic coating simply dam heat? The total heat flux is the same, so you can still overheat, except now you won't burn the paint off your headers....To use ceramics to increase volumetric efficiency, i.e. more power, you'd have to increase compression and probably switch to alloy or titanium exhaust valves....which could blow the budget by themselves....I'm thinking that fifty bucks worth of those universal flexible coolant hoses and a truck radiator...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I wonder if the judges will get suspicious if they start seeing powder coated surfaces. I've always suspected that if you show up with even one Aeroquip fitting they'd start getting feisty, but maybe I'm just overly cautious.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Riktor .... you are thinking way, way, way too much.  Don't out engineer yourself.  I really doubt that any of us in our backyards can out think the teams of OEM engineers that designed and tested the hell out of your car to begin with.  Work on making the car reliable, not fast, just reliable and you will have a great race.

Spud.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

Riktor .... you are thinking way, way, way too much.  Don't out engineer yourself.  I really doubt that any of us in our backyards can out think the teams of OEM engineers that designed and tested the hell out of your car to begin with.  Work on making the car reliable, not fast, just reliable and you will have a great race.

Spud.

With a whopping 160 "claimed" HP this car isn't going to be a speed demon. We are simply eliminating potential problems before having to deal with said problems.

And yes... I do over-think things. I am also a post whore if you haven't noticed. I blame my ADHD which blames the 9 shots the military gave me and I haven't been the same since.

big_smile:D:D:D:D

Sons of STIG

To repeat myself, again, it 'ain't about speed'.  Last year at Toledo 24 hour we had the 24th fastest lap time of 58 cars...... yet we lead for 8 hours and finished 2nd overall. 

Oh and we were driving a 130hp 200,005 mile car.

Keep is stock. Make it reliable. Drive clean. Go far. Have fun.

Simple.

The lest mods you do the better. Truly.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

18 (edited by VKZ24 2009-08-13 11:27 AM)

Riktor is this your first Lemons event?  I assume so, but you know what they say about assuming.  All of these guys are right...it's an endurance race where a $1 hose clamp or something really cheap, and stupid easy to fix (had you caught it early) will end your day.   

This will be my 3rd Lemons event at CMP in a few weeks, so I've been there, done that so to speak.  The first event my team and I had no clue what to expect since all we had ever done was countless HPDE events.  The slower cars who seemed to be out there just 'making laps' were kicking our butts...even though we could pass them in reverse it seemed.  The reason was we drove like mad, got penalties and spent to much time on pit stops.  Our 'performance' mods consisted of good brake pads, cut springs, and lots of negative camber up front....but...we finished 27th.

Fast forward one year, the car (E30 325e) was the exactly the same + one dent from the first race.  New strategy...stay on the track and out of trouble, don't pit unless you have to.  We were not the fastest or the slowest, but we made lots of laps and got zero penalties.  We didn't break anything thus no wrenching on the car and the result...we won.

The moral of the story...make the car last and don't worry about making it fast.  Check all the little things (clamps, hose, belts, etc.) to be sure the car is sound.  Powdercoating will likely gain you penalty laps instead of the advantage you are seeking.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Riktor wrote:

I'm going to go with the Drivers, but it will be pretty hard to get most of them to allow you to powder coat them.

As opposed to powder coating everything I would look more towards increasing ventilation.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Powdercoating will likely gain you penalty laps instead of the advantage you are seeking.

I've seen penalty laps just for cleaning an engine bay let alone powdercoating it.

Jebus.

Is this a a troll or I have just been on the internets too long?

Actually now that Stevo mentioned it you probably will get penalized like hell.  Since its powder coated the judges will assume the part is brand new, and probably high end since you are trying so hard to hide it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

jimeditorial wrote:

It's been awhile since engineering school, but doesn't ceramic coating simply dam heat? The total heat flux is the same, so you can still overheat, except now you won't burn the paint off your headers....To use ceramics to increase volumetric efficiency, i.e. more power, you'd have to increase compression and probably switch to alloy or titanium exhaust valves....which could blow the budget by themselves....I'm thinking that fifty bucks worth of those universal flexible coolant hoses and a truck radiator...

The proper type of ceramic compound will reflect heat and does not allow heat transfer, or rather minimizes it.

When a shop i used to work at first dabbled into the powder coating realm we took a base 1985 Firebird with a 305. Ran it up and down the street until everything was at operating temperature. I can't remember the exact numbers but the the under hood temps were some where around 300 degrees with the exhaust manifolds nearing 800.

We disassembled the engine and cermic coated the pistons, exhaust and intake runners on both the heads and intake manifold. We also ceramic coated the interior and exterior of the manifolds. Under hood temps dropped below 200 and the manifolds were near 400 i believe.

Like I said, this was a few years ago and I no longer have the article I wrote about the experiment. But those numbers first come to mind.

Besides from my understanding... detailed picture taking of the entire fabrication process is accepted as proper documentation. Otherwise our $10 intake and exhaust manifolds are going to doom us.

Sons of STIG

Remember, it slows heat transfer but doesn't reduce it...You'll get the same amount of heat out of burning a given mass of fuel regardless...and it has to go somewhere. As I understand it, the idea is to let you run combustion temperatures higher (without melting pistons, etc) meaning you can react more fuel, e.g lots of boost...but you'll still need a bigger cooling system...if you keep the rest of the engine stock, where's the advantage? Couldn't you keep the underhood area cooler by adding vents?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Riktor wrote:

Besides from my understanding... detailed picture taking of the entire fabrication process is accepted as proper documentation. Otherwise our $10 intake and exhaust manifolds are going to doom us.

LOL!  I thought so too.  I had a huge binder with tons of pics, reciepts, and other documentation for our E30.  They didn't even bother to look at the details, but took one look at the binder and said I must be trying to hide something if I was that well prepared and just gave us 70 laps. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

25 (edited by Riktor 2009-08-14 01:31 PM)

sbarton wrote:
Riktor wrote:

LOL!  I thought so too.  I had a huge binder with tons of pics, reciepts, and other documentation for our E30.  They didn't even bother to look at the details, but took one look at the binder and said I must be trying to hide something if I was that well prepared and just gave us 70 laps. 

-Scott

Hrmm... so a shoebox full of pictures and receipts would be better huh? Disorganized but well documented...

jimeditorial wrote:

Remember, it slows heat transfer but doesn't reduce it...You'll get the same amount of heat out of burning a given mass of fuel regardless...and it has to go somewhere. As I understand it, the idea is to let you run combustion temperatures higher (without melting pistons, etc) meaning you can react more fuel, e.g lots of boost...but you'll still need a bigger cooling system...if you keep the rest of the engine stock, where's the advantage? Couldn't you keep the underhood area cooler by adding vents?

With the ceramic coated runners we were able to estimate that only around 35-45% of the heat from combustion made it into the cylinder heads. Mostly through the un-prepped valves, spark plugs and valve seats.

Sons of STIG