Topic: Concrete Sealer/Epoxy

So our car work area is our side yard.  We recently had a nice new concrete pad poured over there (such an improvement from our crappy DIY paver install...the jack sure didn't roll too well on those!) and are looking for any recommendations for a good concrete sealer to at least attempt to protect the concrete from our lemon puking all over it.  The area is outside and exposed to elements (though our elements here in the SF Bay Area aren't all that extreme) so not really sure how well those garage floor epoxies etc  would hold up to the rain and UV. 

Anyone have a recommendation or bad experience to share?

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Re: Concrete Sealer/Epoxy

Outside no, but inside yes.

I used the rustoleum stuff from home depot. Picked up two containers and some antislip for around $100 and did my whole 2 car garage with some to spare. It's held up great over the past 2 years. All I can say is clean, clean, clean some more. When you think you have every ounce of grease, dirt, and grime gone, wash it 2 more times before you even think of spreading the epoxy.

Good luck finding something for outdoor use. Everything I've seen says indoor only.

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

1. keep it as clean as you can between now and putting a coating  on it.

2. clean with a Muriatic Acid cleaner.

3. rinse rinse rinse rinse

4. coat with epoxy, color of choice etc etc

5. let cure for 2 days before light use.

We just finished building my wife's workshop in the back yard. I used the Behr garage floor paint and primer from Home Depot. You'll probably want to build some temporary walls around your pad while you're painting to keep all the leaves and dust off it.

1) Sweep. Get all the big crap off the floor.

2) Sweep again, this time getting as much dust off as you can.

3) Mop with muriatic acid. My son used a yard sprayer to put the acid down, my wife mopped it around, and then I tried to mop it up before it dried.

4) Mop it again with a lot of water to try and get the rest of the acid up. Since you're outside you can probably use a spray nozzle on a water hose. Plus, all the extra water will dilute the acid down to where it might not kill all your lawn.

5) Sweep up all the acid-eaten mop bits up. If you used a spray nozzle this is probably not necessary.

6) Put down a thick coat of the primer. Be sure to fill in any cracks, divits, etc.

7) Put down the paint, again filling in any cracks, divits, etc.

8) Keep your dog from walking on it until it's dry.

Thanks all- Erik good point on #8.  Will have to figure something out for that...

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Most epoxies don't do well with sun exposure.  You may want to just seal it and/or just paint it.  It will look okay, and hold up okay to oil/antifreeze/brake fluid, but you'll probably need to sand it off and recoat it ever few years. 

If you DO use epoxy, you'll want to put the grit in it so you don't break a hip skiing across the floor in the fog or rain.  The grit will make it look dirty in short order being exposed to the elements, and under a crapcar. 

I'd go over to the Garage Journal Forum:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/inde … 64e6e67a1c

There's a section dedicated to flooring, and you'll probably find too many possibilities with just a little searching and/or asking. 

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

You can learn a lot from a dummy,
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
ApexVinyl Race Team - 2011 Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas IOE, 2012 Gater-O-Rama I Got Screwed

Why not just paint/stain it to match the color of lemon puke?

We ended up just going with sealer (fairly generic one obtained at OSH) as none of the epoxies (as mentioned above) seemed be very tolerant of UV (other than some industrial coatings).

Since then, the Poorvette's engine has been pulled on the concrete and the sealer seemed to hold up pretty well.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette