Topic: California Moving/One trip permits

I recently found out about the non operational one day moving permit and the one trip permits offered by the DMV.  Does this mean I can legally drive my normalish looking car on the road for one day say down to Seaside and back?

Does anyone have any experience with these?  My car is a little loud but not bad at 2-3k rpm

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

Re: California Moving/One trip permits

I've never tried it with a *race* car.  It's basically a 1 day registration for your car but don't consider it to be a 1 day "Queen for a day" pass that lets you drive your 935 to the market.  You will still get ticketed for anything not legal.  Also, it's not free.  You will need to pay all the registration fees that are due to date.  I suppose you can try to sweet talk the DMV girl to letting you pay partial fees but they are going to want some portion of them.  That's the deal killer on our car as it has been out of registration for a few years now so that 1 day pass would probably cost a grand.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3 (edited by bottlingguy 2011-08-10 08:51 PM)

They have a free one that you do not have to pay back registration.  Your car has to be planned non-operational.

no fee vehicle moving permit (Reg 172) cvc 4002

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch2 … tm?lang=en

to play along with the rules I would say that my car is still "under construction"

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

I'd do it. Why not tell the CHP you are getting it weighed? That seems to be allowed. Just print out the vehicle code and keep it handy.

Yesterday, I managed to convince the DMV to give me plates for the "I choose you, Subaru" Legacy. We'll try to be there too.

Jim

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

Even if your car looks like a total wreck, as long as it has horn, wipers, signals and lights Iv'e used those 1-day permits quite often. I even had one lass at the DMV leave the date section blank for me to fill out when I was ready.

JACKPOT!

Got a lot of mileage out of that one.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

*snip

This permit cannot be issued if:
•Fees are due.
•The registration for a vehicle subject to PNO requirements has expired and a PNO is not on file.

This is the part that kills us.  Yes the permit is free but the PO (and us) never bothered with a non-op and the registration is now several years out.  That's one of the reasons why we got the car cheap enough to Lemonize it.  My only hope is to keep working on my car dealer buddy to let me use his dealer plate.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

For some reason we didn't have to pay any back registration on our car. It had sat for 25 years and the last registration was in 1985.

We put lights and horn and stuff back on, got it insured, and drove it to the Coucourse last year and we'll be coming to Seaside again this year.

I forget if its 5 or 10 years before a vin drops out of the system.  For some reason if the car/bike was ever a theft recovery, or salvage it stays in longer.  I assume that is to keep someone from storing a bunch of wrecked cars for 5 years and selling them as like new.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I do believe it's neither - Quote: On late applications for original registration with a "fee due date" or "date of first operation" of January 1, 2003, or later is when you get penalties...

"New Registrations" are the same as "Date of First Operation" are the same as "date of last operation" in their eyes.

Parkwod60 wrote:

I forget if its 5 or 10 years before a vin drops out of the system.  For some reason if the car/bike was ever a theft recovery, or salvage it stays in longer.  I assume that is to keep someone from storing a bunch of wrecked cars for 5 years and selling them as like new.

10 years is when they drop out of the system but I think certain types of inquiries can restart the clock.  A car not registered since 1985 won't show in the CA DMV system so there would be no back registration/penalties due.

Gone bye-bye