Topic: Age of helmet...

Ok,  I know the standard needed to be accepted as race worthy for a helmet but I'm not sure if the age of the helmet makes a difference.  In other words if I getan eight year old helmet in good shape, will it pass.
Thanks,

Burning Rubber and Grinding Gears

2 (edited by Tajracing45 2009-09-07 03:09 PM)

Re: Age of helmet...

As long as it says SA 2000 or more recent you are good. 

3.4: Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed, ever, period, finito. Type M (in other words, any motorcycle helmets) and other non-SA helmets not allowed. Don't know if your helmet qualifies? Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn't have an "SA" sticker or stamp, you're boned. Sharing of helmets, fire suits, gloves, etc. is exceedingly gross, but that's no skin off our nose--you're welcome to do it.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Look under the padding inside of the helmut for a 1" square white sticker that says SA2000 or SA2005.   If it doesn't have that sticker the helmut will NOT pass tech.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

1" square white sticker

???

Snell stickers since 2000 are rectangular and sort of reflective. The SA stickers are orange. I couldn't easily find an SA image on the web, so here's a M (Motorcycle) sticker as an example.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/images/faq/Inside_Helmet_Snell.jpg

Just to be clear for future searchers, the Snell SA sticker (seen below) is what you're looking for--M helmets are not allowed--Nick

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3898000227_b7eda0154f.jpg

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Thanks folks.

Burning Rubber and Grinding Gears