26 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-03-22 09:15 PM)

Re: E250 Starting help

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Call into eSurance (my insurance) and I learned 2 things today: they don't cover a commercial chassis for personal use, & running the VIN reveals it is an E350.

So they don't insure conversion vans? Shitty.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Troy wrote:

Did I miss a posting about the year?

Sorry, no. I didn't post it here. Maybe that was on Facebook
I originally thought it was a 95
It is a 93, so it has a 7.3 IDI and definitively not a Powerstroke

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Transferred the title today. Put down $800 for the sale price. DMV said it should be worth $2680 so they boned me $199.90 in tax. I had documentation and offered some Arby's as baksheesh, but she wasn't having it.

And people think Phil is tough.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Transferred the title today. Put down $800 for the sale price. DMV said it should be worth $2680 so they boned me $199.90 in tax. I had documentation and offered some Arby's as baksheesh, but she wasn't having it.

Jesus, that's a pain in the ass.  I've never run into that.  Hopefully it doesn't start happening here.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

i had a real hard time getting it to start this morning. it took 17 minutes.
it usually takes 2 or 4 tries if the engine is cold, but this took forever. i guess i should change those O-rings on the injectors.
when it finally started, it let out a huge puff of white smoke.

side note: what are your thoughts on B100 biodiesel? there is a place in Houston that sells it 40 cents per gallon cheaper than anything else i've found

Huge puff of white smoke is uncombusted (steamed) fuel.  The combustion chamber is not achieving ignition temp when cranking, so either a glow problem or low compression.

Wait until you're sure it's running well before filling with B100.
Dino-deezl is easier on hoses & filters.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I recall the glow plug timers being a failure item on the older non-powerstroke engines.  Ours was bypassed and replaced with a toggle switch.  Just had to remember not to leave the plugs on more than 10-15 seconds.

Let's make better mistakes tomorrow

Not related to the starting problem, but the IDIs supposedly respond really well to ram air. Considering a really lemony ram air box costs precisely nothing, how can you go wrong?

Team FinalGear

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

And people think Phil is tough.

Somebody gave us a crapbox.  DMV gave my wife a form to complete.  You had to check a box explaining how you were related to the donor.

"Answered a Freecycle ad" wasn't a choice, so the car wasn't free in their bureaucratic eyes.  They taxed based on book value, without even seeing the car.

Need help...
my transmission is dead in the water.
i hadn't driven the van in almost 5 months (something about broken a/c and Texas summer). I fixed the a/c and had to drive it today to pick up my kids as it was the only vehicle that could hold car seats. it rolled out of the driveway fine, but as i got a 1/4 mile down the road, the trans was slipping bad.

I revved the ever living piss out of it, hoping it would catch (that useto work when it was cold) but nothing. i slugged down the street at 15 mph in a 45mph. that should get the cops to notice my expired inspection. Finally it shifted into a lower gear and i was able to reach 55.

When i came to the first stop sign, nothing. it wouldn't go. after a few minutes it moved enough to make it onto a grass driveway at the kids school and block in all the 'Lades and 'Burbans with soccer moms that were too scared to drive over the curb.

I left it while i went to meet the teachers. when i came back, checked the trans fluid and it is a little low, but black. I found a 1/4 bottle of ATF in the van left by the previous owner. Dumped it in, and reverse started working after i rev it up a little, but still not first.

I reversed it to the playground and left it while Mae came to get me in the trusty Sentra tow rig. When we got home, there is black bleeding spot where the van was parked. I thought that was oil, but now i'm thinking it is from the tranny.

Who has experience with the Ford C6? Autos are still black-magic to me.

John,
I can't get a hold of my trans tech till monday, but I'll pm you my #.  He has forgotten more about that trans than most of us will ever know.  I'm pretty willing to bet that the clutches are burnt up, and it will need to be rebuilt.  Let me know if I can help.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Add 1 quart type F fluid. That'll band-aid it.

I tow with a high mile F250 w/c6.
I was sure mine was done as it had a slow progressive severe morning sickness that turned into warm  neutral at traffic lights and turns (just like it was low but was not) Finally when I lost all hope I dropped the pan and found the filter screen was packed, bought a filter and the thing is like 2 years "younger" now.

Type F is fine and the only REAL trans additive I have seen work miracles over and over is something called Trans X ( seal softener)  either or both can be done after the filter.

This stuff rocks!
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=trans+x+ … 9,r:13,s:0

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I reversed it 5 miles to a trans shop. I don't have the time to do the work.

He looked under the van and said, its an E4OD not a C6. He looked under The stearing column and noticed a missing overdrive module.

That explains the top speed of 68 MPH and 12 MPG. This guy said he would call me after disassembly. Price will be between $850 for a complete change out to $250 for a clean and reassembly

Good for me

still an awful cheap van. I'd kill for a 3/4 ton under 2 grand that wasn't rusted out beyond sanity.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

So do those $850 and $250 include a new overdrive module?

Team FinalGear

He is being way way way way optimistic @ $250. You already have lost 1st  the thing WILL  need a full hard and soft parts rebuild IF the center support aint bad(if bad add the cost of a used case)

All said and done your bill will be closer to $1250, the best thing you could do is stop him after tear down then get a $250 unit from the pick and pull

Ask me how I know, perhaps back in the day I had a perfect running astro van that was too small for my needs so I traded someone their E250, it wasnt long before I was the guy driving home backwards and (long story short)swapping in a C4, then after experiencing 11mpg I gave up and got a chevy...

Get a pick and pull unit before you double and never recover the value of your A/C less van.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!