Topic: Bonneville planning

Attending (with the possibility of someday racing or building a car) Bonneville Speed Week is on my automotive bucket list.  Has anyone been/raced there before?  any suggestions for hotels in Wendover or would Salt Lake City make more sense where they won't require you to have a week long reservation even if you are there only a couple days?  I would be coming from the SF Bay Area and in a perfect world I envision a night time cannonball run from Oakland to West Wendover the Friday night to Saturday morning to see tech.  Next year the event is August 11 - 17.

Re: Bonneville planning

You should make reservations at Wendover like NOW, things fill up early. Camping is possible, but this year the rain made the campsite a nice muddy salt bog. The drive from SLC is boring as hell. Wells is a possibility as well.

Bringing a mountain bike or pit bike helps too, if you want to view the course. Of course, sunscreen and UPF clothing is a must - you get as much UV off the salt as you do from the sky. I got sunburned up my shorts from the reflection. Next time it'll be long pants.

Bardahl Special - the greatest racecar ever made

CARTGuy wrote:

You should make reservations at Wendover like NOW, things fill up early. Camping is possible, but this year the rain made the campsite a nice muddy salt bog. The drive from SLC is boring as hell. Wells is a possibility as well.

Bringing a mountain bike or pit bike helps too, if you want to view the course. Of course, sunscreen and UPF clothing is a must - you get as much UV off the salt as you do from the sky. I got sunburned up my shorts from the reflection. Next time it'll be long pants.

Oh ow.  I don't even have balls and that statement hurts.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:

Oh ow.  I don't even have balls and that statement hurts.

Funniest thing I read all weekend.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.