1 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-09-02 12:36 PM)

Topic: Transfer case vs. ATF Stop Leak

The seals on my transfer case are shot, including the input seal. I really don't feel like replacing the damned things (the input seal involves dropping the whole thing off, and if I'm going to do that I may as well do the bearings, too - and I'm trying to wait out the bearings so that when they fail I have a good excuse to swap to a selectable AWD/4HI/4LO/RWD case instead of just 4HI/4LO/RWD.

Anyway, the case takes Dexron III, so I figure I'll dump some ATF stop leak in the thing. So I grabbed a 16oz bottle for $5.

The thing is, the t-case only takes about 40oz of Dexron. The instructions on the stop leak indicate that I should be using the entire 16oz bottle. That seems somewhat excessive for this application.

Any ideas how much of the stuff I should use, and how much I should dump into my leaky, dexron-loaded power steering system?

Edit: And what kind of assholes use 1-3/16 drain plugs? Hell, what kind of asshole uses 1-3/16 ANYTHING? The only thing I have that'll fit is a bulky adjustable wrench which won't clear any of the numerous obstacles. Even frickin' Harbor Freight doesn't sell sockets in that stupid-assed size.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Re: Transfer case vs. ATF Stop Leak

What kind of vehicle?
In reality it's not that hard to pull the tcase  . Maybe 2 hrs and a tube of rtv or Right Stuff.

Pull both drive lines at tcase 
6 bolts for tcase to transmission
Support transmission and then drop tcase and crossmember .

Much easier than some of our crapcan car fixes.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

If you are going to use the stop leak, you need to figure out the ratio of a normal transmission (3-4 quarts) and then assume that one bottle would be replacing one of those quarts. So 1/3 or 1/4.  so for 40 ounces you would add about 14 or 10 ounces.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

91 Dakota. And yeah, it's not all that big a job. Doesn't mean I want to do it until I have a concrete floor to work on.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If the seals are leaking, the bearings are probably bad... I'd avoid the stop leak. It'll decrease the lubricity of the ATF. Faster bearing wear and worse leaks ensue. It works in Auto trans because they use cartridge style bearings instead of ball or roller like your t case. If you use it, don't leave it in long. The drain plug is metric, fyi. I think 25 or 27mm. New Process, right?

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...