Topic: (Another) Seat question...

I know the rules say this...

3.2: Driver's Seat: Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece SFI- or FIA-rated competition seats very strongly encouraged. All seats must be very securely mounted to the floor or cage to avoid separation during a crash. All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure.

But I'd rather not get flak at the last minute or fail tech. I found a deal on a pair of Corbeau TRS. From what I've been able to find, Corbeau lost their FIA rating. Plus the seat reclines. (I've seen a lot of reclining "race" seats. Seems odd. Do they have beefed up recliner locking mechanisms, or just made for street use on ricers?)

Ideas or advice?

Since I hope to keep our car street legal, it might be nice just to have them for passenger/spares. Especially if we end up using it for a BABE Rally, too. </babble>

Thanks,
RR

Re: (Another) Seat question...

Fixed/Rigid seats are preferable but I can't recall if they are required (yet) in Lemons.  I believe Chump requires a fixed seat.

If any of your guys have or plan to use a Hans, they are designed for a 20 degree layback.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Ahhh, thanks Troy, I hadn't check that part of the ChumpCar rules. If I do get them, they will be relegated to passenger duty, then.

fixed-back seats are not yet required in Lemons. you could always weld the recliner teeth?

ChumpCar allows for a stock seat with welded reclining mechanism, same a Lemons.  As with all seats, you need a harness bar or something else to stop it from going rearward in a rear-end accident.

I must have had an old PDF of the ChumpCar rules... downloaded the new one and saw that SFI or FIA rated seats are now optional, though still encouraged.
I'm not thrilled about welding the mechanism, but if we don't find something better, that will probably end up being the solution.
Since one of our guys is really tall, we will probably end up with an adjustable brace like the one from I/O Port.