Topic: Sun Roof Question

I have read the rule book regarding sun roofs and think I understand.  (No Open Sunroofs...can have original sunroof...)

My question is this;  the original sun roof is glass.  Is that still OK?  The track information (Buttonwillow) states that side and rear glass are ok, as well as taped lenses and headlights.  I know it is redundant to ask about the sunroof, but better safe than sorry!

Thanks,
Miles

Re: Sun Roof Question

Back in the good ol' days you could get away with an open sunroof (sans mesh).  Or at least that's what we did.  The letter of the law (below) describes an option including a closed original sunroof. 

You, sir, are describing a moon roof (and not a t-top which is also explicitly described below).  So either you get off scott free or your must have it sealed in some form or fashion.

Personally I would hire a lawyer to see if there's some way around the rules. (I kid!1)

"# 3.20: No Open Sunroofs: All sunroof openings must be covered by either the original sunroof panel; a new panel securely fixed into place; or securely fixed mesh with openings no larger than 1/2-inch each.
# 3.21: Open T-Tops and Convertibles: Arm restraints are required when driving an open T-Top or convertible."

Greg
Quattro Libre '84 Audi (Lemons South '08)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Lemons South '09)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Southern Discomfort '10)

I personally wouldn't want that much glass over my head, taped or not.  Not to mention mesh weighs 1/16th as much as your moon roof.

You want as much fresh air in your car as you can get... Exhaust fumes = bad

We had the original glass OEM panel in our civic at Detroit 08, and they made us tape it up.  Your experience may vary.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

We had a busted up refrigerator supply the panel that covered our sunroof.

So in short, to pass tech, take out the glass and replace with metal?

Miles

It's best to remove the glass entirely and secure some sheetmetal in its place, but you can pass tech by taping up the glass panel.

glass will pass tech if you put clear packing tape over it.  it's up to you if you want 30 lbs of glass over your head....

If you replace it, you have to replace it with close-knit mesh metal or a metal plate.  Or, just remove it and use wrist straps.

Thanks for all the info.  I think I will take it out.  I really don't want the glass, motor assembly and that stuff up there anyway.  When we do the cage it will make it easy to weld the top anyhow.  Then we can just weld up the lid when we are done!

Thanks again!
Miles

jeffzen wrote:

It's best to abolish the bottle absolutely and defended some sheetmetal in its place, but you can canyon tech by taping up the bottle panel.

Uh, was that spam?

Looks like a computer translation.....jeffzen, your message is not clear....pls use another translation program....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I'm going with spam.  Check out the link in his signature.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

jeffzen wrote:

It's best to abolish the bottle absolutely

never!