Topic: Lighting at Lamest Day

I searched the rules and couldn't find a straight answer.  Are we exempt from taping headlights for NL, or do we still have to cover them with clear tape?  I'm thinking the heat from the lights would cause problems and the tape itself would reduce the lighting.

I assume the tail lights should still be taped.

I'm not sure why I'm asking this early since the car is still a rolling shell at the cage builder and it hasn't moved under its own power since H.W. Bush was in office.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Re: Lighting at Lamest Day

I don't think it matters. I'd tape them to be certain. at least then it doesn't matter if it wasn't necessary, versus failing tech, having to scramble for the clear tape and doing a crummy job. there's also info that says your whole headlamp assembly can be removable if you want.

I think that the best thing to do would probably be to put clear packing tape or something like that over the lights, but it would be nice to get some clarification on this before packing it up for the trip to NL. I doubt we get that today since the crew is surely OTW to Kershaw for the race there this weekend.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The good news is that it's quick and easy to do.  I would just like to know ahead of time.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I thought only 'glass' had to be taped, not plastic.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

It's hard to say exactly what will be called for at NL. Here's the general rule:

3.8: Glass, Headlights, and Taillights: Each racetrack has its own requirements for glass, headlights, taillights, etc. Please see that race's specific Event Page for details. It's your job to know the spec for the race that you've entered.

The event page is silent in regard to glass, headlights, and taillights. I suspect this is just a temporary oversight due to the fact that the bigger issue is that the cars must have lights (unlike nearly every other track where they're discouraged). At MSR-Houston, here's the rule in regard to plastic sidemarkers and taillights:

Lights: Headlights, taillights, and sidemarkers removed or completely taped over.

But there's no instruction about that on the NL page. The best thing to do would probably be to install packing tape over the plastic and have a roll with you in case they want it over the headlights too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

This is Lemons, everyone is just going attach glow sticks to their cars.

Seriously, Jay or Nick needs to comment on this.

I am sure you will need to cover your lights with tape.

For your headlights, I'd suggest clear bra which may be little more than contact paper.  One smooth layer should give you better light and if the light goes through it clearly, it might be less likely to cook to your lights.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

it's supposed to be a full moon that weekend, so pray for it to be clear that night and don't worry about lighting

eljefe17 wrote:

it's supposed to be a full moon that weekend, so pray for it to be clear that night and don't worry about lighting

That's funny...rotfl

FWIW, You haven't SEEN dark until you get passed turn one at Nelson!!  They had reflectors out at the apexes & track out points for the last 12 hours, but stock headlights alone were not good enough.  The only saving grace is that we should have 5x as many cars to light the way for us!!

If it rains, be prepared to drive the track blindfolded..... big_smile

Eric

Hmm, so you don't think stock lighting will be sufficient? Even quad lights?

-Jason

1981ish VW Scirocco with the heart and brains of a 95 Jetta crammed in

Jason,

Lighting does not count towards your $500.

Insufficient lights = slow driving.

The back side of the track is DARK.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Allright I'll throw some more lights on there before the event smile

1981ish VW Scirocco with the heart and brains of a 95 Jetta crammed in