Topic: Thoughts on a Sentra for a Noob entry?

I was looking at http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/1394171466.html
And I thought it might be a promising noob Lemons entry. Maybe sell the rims and the sideskirts to get to the magic $500? I'd appreciate the veterans thoughts.

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: Thoughts on a Sentra for a Noob entry?

Sentra rock... good choice.

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Sentras do fine, but keep in mind that SE-Rs have been the cheatiest Lemons cars in recent races and we're going to go over the car with a magnifying glass during the BS inspection.

I think about it constantly... We have a 96' sentra (NOT SER), and its been a dang good little car. Its just about to hit 200k miles though, and the wife needs a bit nicer  beater (no, I'm not that much a loser, she has a nice SUV also but likes to save gas on a day-to-day basis). I put new axles, brakes, LF ball joint, alternator and various other odds and ends, but it will probably end up selling pretty cheap this fall. I'd Lemons it, but already on a 2 car team, and have my Lex-Lemons car besides.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

The judges know that there are many, many aftermarket speed parts for the sentra se-r(hence, the eagle eye),  but  here is what comes with a stock ('91-'94)se-r....2.0L, twin cam, EFI, 16 valves, LSD, 4 wheel anti-lock discs, 5 speed, full independent suspension, 140 hp. Also, the brakes can be upgraded to the NX2000's which are a great deal bigger.  It's almost a real race car stock.  The motor, sr20de is bullet proof (I hope).

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

Have there been non-cheater SE-R's?  Our's is legitmately under $500 with the paperwork to back it up.  The thing is covered in concrete on the bottom side, so you'll have no problem figuring out that EVERYTHING is OEM underneath except for the exhaust and a ball joint.  New radiator up front, and we're ready to roll. 

Given the overwhelming amount of cheater SE-Rs that you say show up, we'll understand if you're hesitant to believe us, even if we do have legit paperwork and pictures of what was left of the car before we started on it.  So, be sure to check our trunk during the inspection wink Everything in 2's, right?

Hey tripp...Yes, there at least 2 se-r racers (west coast) with no bs laps....it took a few races with the residual value rule to catch up to the cars.  One newcomer se-r at Buttonwillow received 1200 bs laps!  The car can take an 8"wheel (sportmax 002) and can run the Falken 615/205/50/15, but you need to use the correct offset which is 0.  Oh, the judges prefer to be handed the booze rather than to have to go looking for it...

Thanks for the tip!  Yeah, our's has no go fast bits and pieces, which will be painfully evident as we three-wheel around the track the entire time.  we're hoping it survives and we get some residual credit to work with so we can go hunting for some ebay coilovers. 

Are other cars really that setup that a stock 92 SE-R is gonna have a hard time keeping up?? Lamest day will be our first event.

sawinatthewheel wrote:

Hey tripp...Yes, there at least 2 se-r racers (west coast) with no bs laps....it took a few races with the residual value rule to catch up to the cars.  One newcomer se-r at Buttonwillow received 1200 bs laps!  The car can take an 8"wheel (sportmax 002) and can run the Falken 615/205/50/15, but you need to use the correct offset which is 0.  Oh, the judges prefer to be handed the booze rather than to have to go looking for it...

Correction.

They started out with 1,200 laps.

Then whined their way to 1,201 laps.

Then continued whining and eventually got to 1,401 laps.

See rules 1.1 and 2.4 if you have any questions.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Here in the west, there are some mighty fast sh*t boxes.  These folks have been working on their heaps for a year or more.  The  fastest lap (at BW)was 6 seconds faster than our best lap.  The winning (BW) V8Volvo hauled ass...they have been improving each race.   For our first race, we brought a circle track setup pinto.  It was like we brought a knife to a gun fight.  We were getting passed on both sides.  My best advice...don't worry about being competitive for your first race.  Consider your heap a work in progress.  Stock brakes on a se-r will not work! for very long at least.  Try to upgrade the front calipers to the NX2000(they bolt right up).  SS brake lines, Motul 600, ceramic pads(Carbotech XP10), R1 rotors.  Use both radiator fans. Remove the thermostadt. We pulled off the leaky power steering pump.  It steers just fine without it.   We used an idler wheel off of a ford 302 for the tensioner.  We kept the side mirrors and moved the adjuster to steering column (JB weld).  There must be other crap that we did but I just can't think of it right now.  If you need more info just ask.

sawinatthewheel wrote:

For our first race, we brought a circle track setup pinto.  It was like we brought a knife to a gun fight.  We were getting passed on both sides.  My best advice...don't worry about being competitive for your first race.

Hilarious. 

Our first race we brought a car (Z) that turned out to be a gun in a knife fight.  Unfortunately, most of us needed shooting lessons.

By the second race almost everyone brought a gun.  Our 9 mil was kinda eclipsed by some 50 cals.

Hopefully we have improved our aim for our upcoming race.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

sawinatthewheel wrote:

Here in the west, there are some mighty fast sh*t boxes.  These folks have been working on their heaps for a year or more.  The  fastest lap (at BW)was 6 seconds faster than our best lap.  The winning (BW) V8Volvo hauled ass...they have been improving each race.   For our first race, we brought a circle track setup pinto.  It was like we brought a knife to a gun fight.  We were getting passed on both sides.  My best advice...don't worry about being competitive for your first race.  Consider your heap a work in progress.  Stock brakes on a se-r will not work! for very long at least.  Try to upgrade the front calipers to the NX2000(they bolt right up).  SS brake lines, Motul 600, ceramic pads(Carbotech XP10), R1 rotors.  Use both radiator fans. Remove the thermostadt. We pulled off the leaky power steering pump.  It steers just fine without it.   We used an idler wheel off of a ford 302 for the tensioner.  We kept the side mirrors and moved the adjuster to steering column (JB weld).  There must be other crap that we did but I just can't think of it right now.  If you need more info just ask.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas. We've got new calipers, and 2 sets of new rotors and a couple sets of XP8's, Motul already in the car.  Brakes shouldn't be too big of an issue. We're more worried about chewing up tires because of the body roll. We've got 2 sets of RS2s that are brand new and a third set that's about 60% there.  The radiator we put in is from an NX2000, little bigger.  Both radiator fans are still in. All the emissions crap is off the front.

My team is a bunch of SCCA guys, so while we would love to win, we're on a mission to be atypical SCCA guys and run consistantly and stay out of the sin bin.  Looking at the lap times from previous races,  it appears to be way more about being on track as much as possible than setting FTD by 5 seconds (unless of course you set ftd by 5 seconds and never get a black flag...). Anyways, if the car survives, hopefully we'll have some wiggle room to reinvest in some real go-fast bits.  I thought we found a really nice car for the race, looks like we've got our work cut out for us though! See you guys this weekend. Ours is the puzzle piece painted Autism Speaks sentra.

Well, I ended up without a cheater SE-R, instead finding a 1994 Nissan Sentra XE Coupe 5 speed Manual. The GA16DE with 146K isn't exactly gonna set any course records, but the guy I got it from (who looked exactly like every tuner stereo type) threw a new clutch and axles on it before losing interest and moving on the  240sx turbo project. He did also find time to strip random pieces of interior and disconnect the a/c for more hp. What could possibly go wrong??

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/