Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Ok must have missed that, I never worked with anything with such low compression or radial or aircraft or mitsumotorcycle or antique with fuel injection let alone all combined.. I do have a couple Corvairs tho wink

Certainly someone will chime in where to ship.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Marc wrote:

If i were to continue this (i'm not, the motor is already sold) i'd do the following:
1)replace the 3000GT box with something else
2)spend time on a dyno to get the motor to run much better
3)better shift linkage

You think one of those PTO boxes that somebody linked to kind of too late for this build for #1?

I've been thinking about #3. Pretty much all of our MR2's could use that. I hate the damn shift cables.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Marc wrote:

If i were to continue this (i'm not, the motor is already sold) i'd do the following:
1)replace the 3000GT box with something else
2)spend time on a dyno to get the motor to run much better
3)better shift linkage

You think one of those PTO boxes that somebody linked to kind of too late for this build for #1?

I've been thinking about #3. Pretty much all of our MR2's could use that. I hate the damn shift cables.

It's too late. when i pulled the motor i cut the cross members instead of disassembling the motor to get it out. did that yesterday, there's no going back now

as for the shift linkage, what i had setup made the stock MR2 setup seem like a super sharp shift setup. it was almost impossible to tell what gear you were in. i had to guage the gear i was in based on where the shifter would not go. if it was in 2,3 or R the shifter would not quite go all the way forward (about 1/2" from the stop) and the same for the other direction.  and neutral was a whole other ball of wax. the only way to guarantee neutral was to jam it in a gear then go forward till you felt it fall out.

it should be possible to retrofit an MR2 with push/pull rods to remove the slop

Marc wrote:

It's too late. when i pulled the motor i cut the cross members instead of disassembling the motor to get it out. did that yesterday, there's no going back now

as for the shift linkage, what i had setup made the stock MR2 setup seem like a super sharp shift setup. it was almost impossible to tell what gear you were in. i had to guage the gear i was in based on where the shifter would not go. if it was in 2,3 or R the shifter would not quite go all the way forward (about 1/2" from the stop) and the same for the other direction.  and neutral was a whole other ball of wax. the only way to guarantee neutral was to jam it in a gear then go forward till you felt it fall out.

it should be possible to retrofit an MR2 with push/pull rods to remove the slop

I think I miscommunicated. It's my understanding that the Kinner-engined version has now moved back to the theoretical from the actual. So what I was getting at was if you were doing it again (and setting aside the caveat that if you were doing it again from scratch, you wouldn't use two 90-degree boxes), do you think that one of the PTO boxes would be a better alternative than the 3000 diff?

I think you're right about retrofitting the MR2 cables with a solid linkage. The only thing that concerns me (other than time) is that the solid rods wouldn't really want to accommodate the to-fro rocking of the engine. I dunno.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I think I miscommunicated. It's my understanding that the Kinner-engined version has now moved back to the theoretical from the actual. So what I was getting at was if you were doing it again (and setting aside the caveat that if you were doing it again from scratch, you wouldn't use two 90-degree boxes), do you think that one of the PTO boxes would be a better alternative than the 3000 diff?

Ahh, you're asking about a lessons learned kinda thing.

I'd skip all that noise and orient the engine and transmission to fit a short driveshaft to a boat v-drive. you can get a 1.65:1 overdrive ratio in there. that would turn the motor's 1950rpm to 3200rpm and i'd put that strait into an audi diesel transaxle so it has taller final drive.

I'd link the engine to the v-drive with a double guibo equipped driveshaft using the 96mm guibos instead of the weaker 93mm ones like i used.

the transmission / vdrive driveshaft would probably be torque tube style to align the flywheel. that worked really well with the goldwing box.

Mulry wrote:

I think you're right about retrofitting the MR2 cables with a solid linkage. The only thing that concerns me (other than time) is that the solid rods wouldn't really want to accommodate the to-fro rocking of the engine. I dunno.

the stock MR2 has a left-right motion restricting rod on the driver's side top mount. the motor should never shift left/right so i'd just go to the rear firewall with the rods and into a bellcrank that makes both rods go left/right from these those rods could connect directly to the transmission. the stick in the cab would likely vibrate with the engine a bit, just like a longitudinal stick would but it should be crisp.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/98bdcab5_zpsievo5gyv.jpg

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

1,407 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-09-18 11:38 PM)

Yes Robin, the Vile Fiend didn't even have the decency to make a coherent sentence! Quickly to the BatMobile!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Methinks he was a troll......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Methinks I deleted him.

It's hard to believe it's been four years!!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.