Topic: Hot Pit Ideas...

I'm posting this separately to Prevent a threadjack on another topic this was originally posted to:

Some people have seen differing regulations, rules, and enforcement at each event and I had some suggestions to offer up.

I think 3 people's OK, with one at the wall passing stuff. we had SLOWWWWWW fueling at nelsons (blasted EPA non-venting cans) so there could have been plenty of time for the driver to zip-tie in a fresh radio or toss some bottles of water in.

Seriously, for hot pits we should just have universal rules; AKA no lifting the hood, no Tire work(visual checks should be OK imo) and nobody belted/sitting in the car while fueling. Quick safety/comfort things like a seat pad, headlamp tweak, fresh radio could easily be accommodated in the hot pit. basically if it's gonna take you more than 2minutes outside of your fueling window, take it back to the paddock. Hot pit safety guys could get pre-set 2minute countdown timers set, so if/when fueling is done, they just hit the timer. it beeps they can say "paddock or track, decide now or report to the penalty box"

I know most of these are typically already rules for Hot pitting at events like MSR, CMP, and Nelsons, and I am partially reinforcing the ones I agree with.

Re: Hot Pit Ideas...

You can have a driver in the car at MSR and if you cant open the hood how do you put in the 2qts of oil that MG needed with every tank of fuel

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

As I've suggested elsewhere under NL feedback, please document (in written form) whatever the hot pit rules are.  The drivers meeting is not sufficient and answers differ based upon whom and when you ask.

I undererstand that they might not be known fully in advance of the event.  However, post a copy of the local pit rules at lemon's HQ for everyone to see.  If additions or corrections occur as the race progresses, post a timestamped update at HQ and announce changes over the PA.

Rules should always address:
- speed limits
- pit in / pit out restrictions (signals, flaggers, blend lines, etc.)
- driver change restrictions (e.g., change only, must fuel, etc.)
- what can and can't be done during fueling
- numbers over the wall
- pit lane dress (including visor rules, differences fueling vs. not fueling, etc.)
- handling of fuel spills
- penalties

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

No more thread bumps for my post... :-/

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

the head wrote:

You can have a driver in the car at MSR and if you cant open the hood how do you put in the 2qts of oil that MG needed with every tank of fuel

Where can we find these rules?

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

the head wrote:

cut a hole in the hood and run a filler through it?

Serj wrote:
the head wrote:

Mount an IV style drip system from the roof.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Brilliant! How about a whole bunch of them, all hung in a row: oil, coolant, tranny fluid, fuel, water, coffee....

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Troy wrote:
Serj wrote:
the head wrote:

Where's the love???

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

10 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-10-15 10:19 PM)

Working the Penalty Box, we get more maddeningly confused/confusing questions about edge-case refueling/hot pit/etc crap than all other subjects put together, and the judges don't know anything about track-specific safety rules (other than the obvious, e.g. no working on the car while you're fueling). Since all those policies are always determined by the track, you should grab a track manager, Jay, or Jeff (before the race starts, please) and get your questions answered. Or, hell, just pay attention during the driver's meeting.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Or, hell, just pay attention during the driver's meeting.

I was about to say that SHOULD be covered in the driver's meeting.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"