Topic: Vehicle Restrictions - Newb

Are there any vehicles that I cannot bring? Is it only limited to 4 wheels or would it be 4 or more? I am new to the actual sport but I have been watching for quite some time and never seen anything with more. Thanks

Re: Vehicle Restrictions - Newb

The basics are that the car has to be street legal at the time of manufacture (ie no tube-frame cars, forumula cars, etc), and must be under 4400 lbs.

I think a multi-wheeled car could work, as long as the tech guys are pretty sure it won't kill anyone. The Rambo truck built by Team First Blood had an extra set of non-functional dually wheels--that's about the closest we've come on that front.

Well crap. It's more than that. Oh well, now I know.

I don't think anyone wieghed the Caddy at Nelson.... so I'm not sure how that really works.  Hell, I'm not even sure the Snoopy 1-ton van had a curb under 4400#, so there must be exceptions/exemptions/turning-the-other-cheek.  If you have something in mind, run it by Jay or Nick!

Eric

Ha! My thought was probably more exaggerated than those. smile (I tend to do that for some reason) My vehicle would weigh in just over 13K. I have a few duece and a halfs at my disposal and those things are unstoppable but also very cumbersome. I think I could win out of sheer stamina in that it would be constantly running around the track. Are passengers allowed? (wheels turning in head) I could cram a fleet of co-drivers and fuel in one and easily be running around all night and day. I hope you all realize that I am in no way intending on trying it but it was a humorous idea when the thought crossed my mind.

I bet the 61 Caddy weighed more than 4400lbs. They didn't call those old cars Detroit Iron for nothing.

huf_arted wrote:

Ha! My thought was probably more exaggerated than those. smile (I tend to do that for some reason) My vehicle would weigh in just over 13K. I have a few duece and a halfs at my disposal and those things are unstoppable but also very cumbersome. I think I could win out of sheer stamina in that it would be constantly running around the track. Are passengers allowed? (wheels turning in head) I could cram a fleet of co-drivers and fuel in one and easily be running around all night and day. I hope you all realize that I am in no way intending on trying it but it was a humorous idea when the thought crossed my mind.

You sir are the reason they made the weight limit, although if you bring it to the track and offer it up to the judges it might still make it on the track as a punishment, seems like a nice substitute to the old vw bus.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Well once they have one close, I will see what I can do. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

No Zambonis.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Bummer.  I thought you might have had some kind of Tyrrell p34 thing goin'.

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/pete11.jpg

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

11 (edited by Riktor 2009-10-19 06:35 AM)

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture. Vehicles must be acquired and prepared for a maximum of $500 as described in Section 4. Vehicles must meet all safety standards laid out in Section 3. The vehicle's original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds. Individual waivers  may be granted; just don't ask about Peterbilts, zambonis, sidecars, or golf carts again. We already said no.

SEARCH young padawon...

EBudman wrote:

I don't think anyone wieghed the Caddy at Nelson.... so I'm not sure how that really works.  Hell, I'm not even sure the Snoopy 1-ton van had a curb under 4400#, so there must be exceptions/exemptions/turning-the-other-cheek.  If you have something in mind, run it by Jay or Nick!

Eric

I think the whole point is to keep out vehicles like these:

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/d/15228-2/DSCN1068.JPG
http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/data/781/monster-garage-1986-international-1.jpg
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11113190/Armored_Truck_Based_On_Mercedes_Benz_Actros.jpg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

yeah, you totally know someone would have been rocking a schoolbus by now if it wern't against the rules. I tried getting an exception to a 1982 1-ton dually with a freshly rebuilt 6.2L. Jay said NO WAY, TOOOOO WIDE. I even had enough specs to believe that it wouldn't have been a stretch for me to get it in under the weight limit either.

damn messed up my plans for mad handling yo!

The axles and frame alone on our 33 passenger bus break the weight limit. Add the engine, allison trans, parking brake and drive shafts and it is already over 10k. Not to mention the body.

Now say you take said bus and rebuild the frame and body to 1.5" tube steel with single layer 20-guage sheetmetal skin and you MIGHT be able to get it under the 4400 lbs. But I still highly doubt it.

The leaf springs break 300lbs each... there are 4 sets... Wheels and tires are over 150lbs each... god knows what each axle ACTUALLY weighs.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"