Re: Arrive and drive etiquette for car owners

How much to charge for an A&D?

Pick a number, plan on it not being enough, be satisfied that you were correct.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

wvumtnbkr wrote:

We are strict.  We plan to win every race we are in. smile

I know this is not the spirit of Lemons, but that is who we are.

That being said, if we don't have a shot at winning, we still have fun and enjoy our time!

We have NEVER had an issue getting A&D's.  We usually have 5 or 6 people that want to drive with us and space for 1 or 2.

To answer your question:  No, I would not hold myself to that same rule.  It is MY team and MY car that I built.  I set whatever rules I want.  smile  This rule is also not applicable to the "original" team members.

This rule has NEVER been enforced either.

Rob R.

Cool, I'm not saying you can't have the rule, just letting you know what I would think of it as an arrive and drive.  If it's working for you then great.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

28 (edited by cabinboy 2012-12-07 02:12 PM)

Being a five time A & D and building my first car this is an area that I've been thinking about. I've got my team put together and they've been helping me build the car. But what happens for future races when one of them doesn't have the funds to race? I can guarantee that that will happen.

I had nothing but great experiences with the three teams I've driven for. It's ranged from spending a lot of time fixing the car during the race to having a flawless race and everything in between. The one thing they've had in common was the plan to have fun, not to go crazy worrying about winning. Let's just turn laps and drink beer. That's the kind of people I'll be looking for.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:

. The one thing they've had in common was the plan to have fun, not to go crazy worrying about winning. Let's just turn laps and drink beer. That's the kind of people I'll be looking for.

You can ride with NSF anytime.  Sundays are the days that we look to our soberer brothers to spend 4-5 hours in the car and make us look glorious.  We often have to bring doomed teams to pick up our folly.

This space for rent.

30 (edited by psychoboy 2012-12-07 02:44 PM)

cabinboy wrote:

Being a five time A & D and building my first car this is an area that I've been thinking about. I've got my team put together and they've been helping me build the car. But what happens for future races when one of them doesn't have the funds to race? I can guarantee that that will happen.

for us, every race is a new deal. the season ender will be our fourth race.

we've asked the same $800 buy in from every driver for every race. two of the guys running in the season ender are buying their fourth seat, one is buying his third, one his second, and one is a virgin.

if we manage to not spend our budget, the four guys who are not virgins will split the leftovers.

if a veteran can't afford a seat, he doesn't race.

if we decide we need to lower the per-seat price (once we stop buying stuff and breaking stuff) the virgins will still get a $800 seat. the rest of us will get the lower rate.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I am not sure why I always come accross on the interwebz sounding like a douche.  After re-reading my posts, it is obvious that I do sound like a douche. hmm

Sorry about that. 

Cabinboy:
When we have that situation, we pair up with another team that we know well and have pitted beside in the past.  We sign up so at least one of their drivers is listed on our team and vice versa.  This allows us to race with less people.  Essentially, we end up with 6 or 7 drivers for 2 cars.  It works out pretty well most of teh time AND you get TONS of seat time.

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Cabinboy -

Then they don't run that race. 

There are two Schumacher teams and we each do our finances a little different.  My team does things on a per-race basis.  As in, every race is a separate billable race where you pay the costs for that race, you race, and then you can walk away.  For things that we pay for over time, like our transponder, I paid for that out of pocket and every race I take a portion of that and use it towards my entry fee while billing that race for it.  You end up having big variances in the per-race cost (our next race we are going to need tires, belts, and wheel bearings).  But as team principle, the team basically right now owes me about $1500 in parts that are being financed.

The other team has two accounts.  One for the race day stuff - race gas, towing, entry fees, etc.  and another for car parts - clutch, ball joints, belts, etc.  So the team buys into the car parts account (which also gets $$$ per person per year) and then buys into each race.  If one can't make the race then they don't run. 

Each way of doing things has it's benefits.  Mine is that teammates can come and go.  The other way you have a financial commitment from each of your teammates to continue on the team.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We normally do $600 plus a refundable $200 damage deposit. The $600 covers entry fees, gas, tires, and food for the weekend while the $200 helps discourage any reckless driving that might happen.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Sorry, my question was more rhetorical than an actual question. I know it's going to happen to me because my teammates are all what we call underemployed.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:

Sorry, my question was more rhetorical than an actual question. I know it's going to happen to me because my teammates are all what we call underemployed.

Your should be a bit easier, since you own the car the ones who can't pay really can't complain.  With an equal partnership in the car it gets a bit more complicated.  Even if the part owner doesn't pay anything there is always the chance the car won't make it back, either wrecked or blown up.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
cabinboy wrote:

Your should be a bit easier, since you own the car the ones who can't pay really can't complain.  With an equal partnership in the car it gets a bit more complicated.  Even if the part owner doesn't pay anything there is always the chance the car won't make it back, either wrecked or blown up.

Then I guess the part owner is then the part owner of a wrecked heap, right?  Just like they would be if the car got trashed during someone else's stint?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing