Topic: Setting foot on Jupiter....Florida.

Hey, all.

I'm thrilled that there's finally a race in Florida coming up, even if it's over a year away. Even though it's early, my crew have our eyes peeled for cars. We're definitely not looking to go ordinary, but we'd still hate to put together a car and not make it in.

We're going to do everything we can to follow the rules to the letter, which pretty much means our car will be good for Lemons and Lemons alone, so before we break out the cutting torches...How hard would it be to get a '66 Valiant with 225 leaning cubic inches past the application stage?

Clearly we're shooting for Index of Effluency here. There's just a few of us that would sleep better knowing that we had a good shot at getting in. I'm pretty confident this car would be right up the judge's alley, but some of the team less familiar with the event aren't so sure.

Any advice you can throw our way would be much appreciated.

Please and thank you!

2 (edited by Solracer 2009-10-23 09:00 AM)

Re: Setting foot on Jupiter....Florida.

Given that the slant-6 is as reliable as a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine I think that would be an excellent choice. A friend of mine in high school had an abandoned one with flat tires and weeds growing around it parked on the side of their yard and once a year we'd start it just to prove that we could!

armyofchuckness wrote:

Please and thank you!

The Army of Chuckness watches Kim Possible?

They say that on Kim Possible? I've always said that.

I had grown up with Dodge Darts and the slant six was pretty bullet proof.
We had one that threw a rod and punched a hole in the side of motor. My mom drove it another I think about 20 miles to the house before shutting it off. My older brother was at a stop light trying to race with someone and had the car in reverse. Pushed the engine through the radiator, and still got the damn thing home somehow.
I had the Commando 273 with the available with 10.5:1 compression, Hurst 4 speed, ugly but pretty fast!
Put in a bigger radiator and your all set to race. Stay with the original rims 14" that will help a lot with cornering, these car don't look like it but they are pretty long,  with a wheel base of 102"
I think you will be a shoe-in with the judges.
Your little Valiant will be an awesome car to see out on the track. You team should be the Spartans to go with the car theme.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/