1 (edited by gunn 2013-01-24 11:54 AM)

Topic: Q: Looking for feedback on Crow Proban quilt2-layer driving suits SFI5

I was looking to see how much it would cost to upgrade from my Lemons Pkg OMP single layer driving onsie (OS10) and I found this attractively priced, SFI5 rated two layer, two-piece getup for ~$255-265/set
http://www.racedaysafety.com/crow-racing-jacket.html

Before I go through the trouble of upgrading, does anyone have any specific experience with Crow Racing suits and/or this specific jacket/pants?
From my research, Proban is cotton treated fabric so it has a limited number of washes in it's service life. This suits me just fine b/c I don't sweat like a pig and this fabric is no worse than the OMP single layer suit I own today (rated for 25 washes).

It seems like this would be a decent upgrade for the money (esp since i can always sell my single layer suit + underwear I've only used for three races and one track day) but I wanted to see how much of an upgrade this would be from what I already own today. From what I can tell, buying this 2 layer suit means that I no longer need to wear the NOMEX underwear, right?

My old suit:
http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2194.htm

Options:
* Buy the Crow suit and sell the OMP onsie.
* Hold off, use my OMP suit for longer, and then convince myself to buy a nomex 2-layer suit

Thanks in advance for your advice. As far as racing is concerned, I typically do 1-2 Lemons races/yr plus a track day. This is likely to decrease once my wife and I actually have a kid.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

2 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2013-01-24 01:54 PM)

Re: Q: Looking for feedback on Crow Proban quilt2-layer driving suits SFI5

For the same money (or slightly more depending on your suit choice) you'd spend on the Crow suit you could buy genuine Nomex from www.raceimage.com.  One of my teammates has a Proban SFI5 suit - if you needed to stay warm during a 2am stint at Nelson Ledges in late Oct. it's great; mid-afternoon at Summit Point in June?  Not so much.  I bought a Nomex  jacket from Race Image - it was dry before my cotton t shirt after a stint at Summit Point last summer.  I recommend spending a little extra on Nomex - the comfort difference while driving is worth the price.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

3 (edited by doctordel 2013-01-24 03:07 PM)

+1 on raceimage.com, bro. The two piece is just so choice for comfort.

Quality stuff, quick shipping, and you get to at least look like you know what you're doing.

That is until I actually get in the car. Then I cannot hide that I have no idea what I'm doing.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

I have the crow suit as my spare, it's definitely not as nice as as some of the more expensive suits. doesn't breathe as well, and would be torture in the heat. keep the undies, I wear long johns with my nomex suit. and still stay cooler than my crow suit.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.