Topic: Anyone else work on their DD more than their Lemon?

Due to a series of questionable decisions (in hindsight) I have to go home today and pull the motor on my Impreza RS (daily driver) for the fourth time this month.  CMP is a month and a half away and we are a long way from having our car ready and I'm wasting all my spare time turning wrenches on the wrong car.

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

Re: Anyone else work on their DD more than their Lemon?

You are just taking the wrong car to CMP.   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the question...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579689_3754488025308_1490628762_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Hey, I know that parking lot...

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:

Hey, I know that parking lot...

Great sammiches to the left...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sparky Pete wrote:

I'll give it some thought as soon as all this traffic clears up.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8434033984_cb17a61297_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:

I'll give it some thought as soon as all this traffic clears up.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8434033984_cb17a61297_z.jpg

I see you were taking pictures during a caution flag again?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

I hate working on my DD and rarely do. I'd rather pay somebody to do it then spend my free time working on my commuter ride.

Working on the Lemon seems like less of a chore and more of a project and adventure, so I don't mind that nearly as much.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Racin_G73 wrote:

I see you were taking pictures during a caution flag again?

I can't take the credit.  The photographer is my teammate, and now wife, Melissa.  That shot was on the drive back from The Ridge; we eloped to Reno the following month.

I admit we took her car for that....

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Right now I probably have more things that I need to do to the domestic fleet than to the Lemons, but the Lemons still usually get the attention. In addition to the chore/adventure dichotomy Fishah alludes to, I've gotten to be much more knowledgeable about the Lemons.

Neon sputtering above 4000rpm? Bring it in, it's probably the cam position sensor and we'll have it back on track soon.
Our pickup is having cold-start problems? Um... I better go do some Interwebz research. Or maybe I'll just eat a sandwich and stare at the mess under the hood hoping for a miracle.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Since I found this new religion we call Lemons, I used to work on my daily driver on a regular basis... 

Is it wrong to say I switched carbs on my DD so I could learn how to fix the one on our car?  Now I test ideas on my daily to see how they might affect the race car...

Sad, considering the DD is a 78 Holiday 88, the race car is a 90 Mustang, and old faithful sits in the garage most of the time, the 01 Bullitt...

If it weren't for the (cough) title issues the race car would have legal tags.

2011 - "Southern Discomfort" / "Shine Country Classic - Charleston "9" 88 Mustang
2011 - "Where the Elite Meet to Cheat" - Official Pace Car - 1978 Olds Holiday 88
2012 - Fall CMP - WE MADE IT!  - 90/86 Mustang
2013 - "Southern Discomfort" - #21 Purolator Mustang

Sadly, the modern powerplants in our daily drivers are often more difficult to service than our Lemons.  Sure, the OBDII sensor can tell you to replace the ignition coil on cylinder 7.  But when you don't get a clear code?  Good luck.

Though, I have to confess I no longer even change the oil in our daily drivers.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Hmmm, finishing the trans rebuild in the 635csi, got to poke and prod the idle/flat spot condition on the 380sl, and the 300td keeps bouncing along waiting for me to rebuild the SLS valve.... Nah, no idea what you're talking about. Our Lemon is ten years newer than my DD fleet. What could possibly go wrong?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Yes.  But that might have something to do with the DD being a '67 Spitfire....

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

Yes. Engine has been in and out of DD 03 Legacy wagon twice in the past 12 months (should've just done the damn head gaskets when I had it out the first time). LeMon has had the head off once and the engine is currently on a stand.

And I wish I had the dough to run Monticello...but I don't. So NHMSx2 it will be for the year.