Topic: The Zero Fucks Given RX7 - I really (really) enjoyed this.

http://jalopnik.com/the-zero-fucks-give … -143407124

Video is GREAT!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Re: The Zero Fucks Given RX7 - I really (really) enjoyed this.

I'll repost exactly what I commented on someone's facebook share of that video:

"Its not that I don't like the idea, but there is no pride to be taken in building a fast car that is unpredictable and intentionally poorly executed. To throw all those parts and money at the car, and then not get the chassis properly set up is a waste. Anyone can make a car powerful, or quick, but it takes someone who knows what they are doing to make one fast. Its all hat and no cattle, as they say.

Contrary to what Matt said, it would not dominate a Lemons race, it would go off the track backwards and get so many black flags that it would be on the trailer before the end of the 1st day."

It seems like he has built the car intentionally crudely and dangerous because of some sort of idea that it is fashionable.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

I'll repost exactly what I commented on someone's facebook share of that video:

"Its not that I don't like the idea, but there is no pride to be taken in building a fast car that is unpredictable and intentionally poorly executed. To throw all those parts and money at the car, and then not get the chassis properly set up is a waste. Anyone can make a car powerful, or quick, but it takes someone who knows what they are doing to make one fast. Its all hat and no cattle, as they say.

Contrary to what Matt said, it would not dominate a Lemons race, it would go off the track backwards and get so many black flags that it would be on the trailer before the end of the 1st day."

It seems like he has built the car intentionally crudely and dangerous because of some sort of idea that it is fashionable.

Oh yeah???   I'm just going to say YOU prolly couldn't handle it because its a hell of a car.   tongue

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

4 (edited by psychoboy 2013-02-12 02:09 PM)

you caught the part where matt suggested it might clean up a Lemons race, but missed the part where he said, once he got used to driving it, it was set up foolishly well?

or this comment from (what i'll assume is) Matt on jalopnik's post?

"And the kid knows the car inside and out, can fix anything with basic tools very quickly, and drives it ridiculously fast and with skill. One of our cameramen, Zack, took a ride with Corbin up Stunt Rd, where Corbin does his "testing," and said that he had never been up Stunt that fast, in any car, at any price, with any driver."

doesn't sound all that unpredictable or black flaggy to me.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

The concept is great, the execution is terrible. The car is exactly what i'd expect from a 19 year old.

I don't even care that it is visually crappy, i like the rat rod look. But that car is not a "zero F*cks given" car, it's one built purposely to look like a complete mess and annoy people. I'd rock a v8 swapped RX7 all day long, especially one stripped and rat rodded out. But there are just so many features on that car that only a teenager/VW vortex scene kid would think are cool. He could have made it so much cleaner, while maintaining the low budget, built in the driveway theme.

oh, and i hate Farah. I don't know why, but something about him just annoys the crap out of me.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

The car is exactly what i'd expect from a 19 year old.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post and take that bit one sentence farther:

This story is exactly what it means to be 19 years old.

You can't tell me you didn't something similar to this when you were that age. For me, it was a shitty rock band that I thought was the paragon of originality and expression when it was really just obnoxious, derivative, and self-indulgent.

Not to suggest that this RX-7 is at all derivative, because it's not. But it is obnoxious and self-indulgent, which is what it means to be a teenager.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

You can't tell me you didn't something similar to this when you were that age. For me, it was a shitty rock band that I thought was the paragon of originality and expression when it was really just obnoxious, derivative, and self-indulgent.

I really didn't. I was in a band in high school, but we knew we were terrible and never tried to pretend it was anything more than a group of friends messing with instruments when we hung out. I drove an F-150. I bought a Porsche 924S and tore it apart and rebuilt it to learn how to work on cars. I was a hugely boring teenager.

I never had (and still do not) a desire to do something for the purpose of getting a rise out of someone else.

off my soapbox.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Fair enough. I was a brash-but-bored kid in the middle of nowhere until I turned 18 and discovered civilization. Then I thought everyone needed to hear how awesome I was.

This is clearly still something of an issue for me (see signature below).

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Haters gonna hate.  I love the idea.  The kid has the insane genius vibe going on... and I bet this car is just the first of a line of crazy inventions to come out of his garage.

TheEngineer wrote:

oh, and i hate Farah. I don't know why, but something about him just annoys the crap out of me.

+1

And Jalopnik, too.

WIth the lot of them, old, tired memes, repeated ad nauseum.  None of it's journalism.

10 (edited by widgetsltd 2013-02-12 06:37 PM)

I just can't fathom how he could have spent $13,000 building it.  That RX-7 must contain some incredibly expensive drivetrain parts!  It strikes me as sort of an anti-LeMons car:  expensive to build, but looks like absolute crap anyway.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

I loved it.  He's flipping 19 y.o.  He's barely out of high school.  Probably not what I want my kid doing with all of his time at that age, but then again he's passionate about something... And from what I've experienced, 90+% of all Americans are NOT passionate about anything.

No, he's not figured out how to turn $13K into an unbelievable track rat... But he's self taught.  I doubt he paid anyone to piece this together. 

I admire his enthusiasm, dedication and indifference to what others think.  People like him make small minded people like me look foolish.

Plus I smiled and enjoyed the video.  I wouldn't have finished watching the vid if it was about a Nissan GTR, which is superior to that Kid's car in every way.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

That thing is all win!  My first new car was a 85 RX-7 and I was the baddest thing with a sac.  I love what the kid with that car and he can race with us anytime, Gratis.

This space for rent.

13 (edited by Parkwod60 2013-02-12 10:05 PM)

psychoboy wrote:

you caught the part where matt suggested it might clean up a Lemons race, but missed the part where he said, once he got used to driving it, it was set up foolishly well?

or this comment from (what i'll assume is) Matt on jalopnik's post?

"And the kid knows the car inside and out, can fix anything with basic tools very quickly, and drives it ridiculously fast and with skill. One of our cameramen, Zack, took a ride with Corbin up Stunt Rd, where Corbin does his "testing," and said that he had never been up Stunt that fast, in any car, at any price, with any driver."

doesn't sound all that unpredictable or black flaggy to me.

I must have missed the part where Matt said anything about it actually handling well. I didn't read the Jalopnik post, I just watched the video. I am old enough to admit that I am old enough to not be impressed by guys being brave enough to drive cars that are dangerous, or to try to impress me by how dangerous they are when in fact they are just intentionally made to look dangerous.

Also, I could get a hell of a lot more out of $13,000 than that.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

haha this kids car did to you guys exactly what he wanted it to do to people...

fucking cool...

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

I think 13k is alot of money for a 5.0 T5 car, but alot of that money was probably spent doing things twice, or until he was happy with the result.When I was his age,priority #1 with my Nova was to make it fast.  there was no #2, although it did eventually get painted.  Still sitting in my garage, buried under alot of work stuff.

I've heard on the forum that Farah is a douchenozzle, but I'm pretty indifferent about him.  I was actually pretty bummed that he was the guy doing the review.

He should've referred to it as a honey badger RX7.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!