Topic: MSR Houston

Thanks!

The full course clockwise track was excellent, there was good shrimp (thanks Shrimp Boots!), my buddy got an excellent trophy AND we raced almost the whole weekend.  (A fried wheel bearing killed us at 230p the second day.  Doh!)

So good.  Can't wait for the next race!

-dw

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

2 (edited by kalpol 2009-10-26 09:31 AM)

Re: MSR Houston

We're mostly home safely, and had a complete blast.  I can't believe how much fun we had and how nice everyone was.  I really can't believe the car lasted to the finish, either. Thanks for a good time and the Brava will return with better brakes!

edit: couple of people asked what happened on Saturday - the very first thing we did to the car when we got it was clean the gas tank, and I guess we didn't clean it well enough because after a few laps the prefilter I had had the awesome foresight to install clogged up with junk from the tank. We did a lot of flushing and sloshing and more flushing and got a great big filter to add to the fuel line ahead of the pump, and after that it did just fine, except that the coil wire fell off early Sunday, and then we ran out of gas right in front of the stands, which was embarrassing.  We moved up from 103rd Sat afternoon to 80th on Sunday, and I feel like with more efficient driver changes (tough because we were sharing suits and stuff) and a full two days, we would have done pretty well.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Our #25 Speed Racer & Racin' Rednex (not the nicely decorated one) had a super fun time and were amazed to have been as high as 32nd with a team of nearly all rookie drivers, crappy gas cans that didn't have a vent, a heavy mustang with all glass, power windows and locks, AC and stock V6 engine and exhaust!   Our car was so quiet I got run off the course Saturday as someone did not hear me alongside.

We lost 2nd gear early and had some sort of fuel problem today that kept power way down, but we finished!  WHOOOO HOOOO!

A special shout out to first time finishers the "JDL BWM 2002" complete with a menorah on the roof (this theme was for punishing the German car which had repeatedly failed them) as in prior two 24HOL had catastrophic engine failures less than 10 laps in.  This year they only had a few issues - GREAT JOB GUYS.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

oh, they had more than a "few" issues...

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Too tired to type.  The "I got screwed"  trophy made from the Metro Gnome's block will go on the mantle once my wife has her "accident".

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

Mary, you should sign your posts "DCP"

Big thanks to Brian, Joe and Marty!!!!

You guys busted your ass all weekend long,.... the Fairmont will be a beast one day soon!

Spike, Greg, and Danny,.... pretty sweet driving for a bunch of rooks!

I had great fun meeting some new friends, eating lots of gumbo, driving all over for parts, forgeting to turn off my 5:15am alarm on my cell phone, midnight engine swapping, etc.

hell, even running the car out of gas was a little fun.

The pink Capstang is a blast to drive,... I'd say just cut that crap cage out and build a real one smile ,.... then let the horse run some more.

I and my team had a blast.  Other than the variety of mechanical crapulence that kept us in the pits for hours on end.  Looking forward to the February race.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

It was our first race and we had a blast.

It was great to see everyone in the pits helping everybody else. To me, that's what this is all about. I imagine this is how auto racing probably started out in the first place. Good, cheap (well, sort of) fun that's probably going to get outlawed before it's all over because it's as close to too much fun as you can have.

Obviously, it was very different on the track but the comraderie was great & we'll definitely be back.

Thanks to Jay & crew for a killer weekend. Thanks to MSR Houston for a super facility & thanks to all who helped us & stopped by to shoot the breeze.

See you in February,

Swine Flew Raycing
1995 Infiniti J30

Ray

I was too busy earning my trophy to follow up.  How'd Phil like the clock?

11 (edited by ray96disco 2009-10-26 02:19 PM)

I think everybody got a big kick out of it.

Swine Flew Raycing
1995 Infiniti J30

btp76 wrote:

Ray

I was too busy earning my trophy to follow up.  How'd Phil like the clock?

Clock? Did you make a new contraption for Phil out of something interesting?

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Our Team had another GREAT time a MSR. The full track and no tire Chicane was a blast in our big ol Malibu. After finishing 24th in the last two races it was great to finish 19th in this one. The Cherry on top was the plaque for "The most with the Least" from Grassroots Motorsports. I'm happy for my team as they all ran as clean and smooth as that car can give and you and still place respectfully.

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

btp76 wrote:

Brian, the above is proof that although now you're officially a winner, you're still a jack@ss.

Special moments from the weekend:
- pulling the last shift on Saturday and hauling in under the checkered flag.  (Even tho it wasn't the true checkered flag, it was still wicked fun.)
- eating free pretty much all weekend.  The generosity of others astounds me.
- learning that all cajuns are crazy.  Not only the usual suspects (Thanks Uncle Ricky!  Happy birthday!) but also the nudists.  Who knew that nudists could cook?  Excellent burgers and superlative etoffe.
- dragging my best friend down from St. Louis to dress up as beer wenches.
- talking to the JDL BWM 2002 in the pit next door after they finished two full days of racing.  They looked like kids in a candy store with $500 gift certificates.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:
btp76 wrote:

Brian, the above is proof that although now you're officially a winner, you're still a jack@ss.

- pulling the last shift on Saturday and hauling in under the checkered flag.  (Even tho it wasn't the true checkered flag, it was still wicked fun.)
- learning that all cajuns are crazy.  Not only the usual suspects (Thanks Uncle Ricky!  Happy birthday!) but also the nudists.  Who knew that nudists could cook?  Excellent burgers and superlative etoffe.
- talking to the JDL BWM 2002 in the pit next door after they finished two full days of racing.  They looked like kids in a candy store with $500 gift certificates.

And... you left out the Pace Bus why exactly?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

that pace bus did rock!  It's too bad that I was in the car for the start, that looked like some fun big_smile

Judge Jonny wrote:
doctawife wrote:
btp76 wrote:

And... you left out the Pace Bus why exactly?

Ummm.... 'cause I'm dumb?  I have to say, the trip on Saturday was MUCH more entertaining than on Sunday.  Sunday the Chief Perp actually brought sanity to the pacebus ride.  Whodathunkit? Overall, probably a good thing.

18 (edited by MikeLSU 2009-10-26 06:31 PM)

First race for me. We were very pleased to finish 28th. We were not so pleased our sister team's Optimus Prime truck blew up on the pace lap. New block time! We'll be back.

All I can say is there must have been a whole different set of drivers on Sunday compared to Saturday...lots of courteous driving Saturday...holy $h!# on Sunday! Congrats to the winner, very nice driving. Ditto to the GT500 supra and the Speed racer Saturn.

My biggest props go to the Triumph TR7 guys...congrats on the prize and the finish! I love that car! I was the LSU guy slobbering on your car two or three times a day. Was my favorite car as a kid and I still like them.

I am not sure if this is posted elsewhere yet: Results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1356087

-Mike

Team Apex Vinyl, driving then drinking
#163 Isuzu impulse
We save money by only using 3 tires in the corners

I had a blast. Top notch event and facility. Driving the full course was a great idea. We (E30 #94) got up to 5th and our team mates in #93 took the overall win. I had an epic battle for 4th with the black Supra (#86). I didn't realize we were on the same lap sad

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

Us Louisiana people had a great time too. This was our first time at this track and only the second race we tried. By far the most fun was watching the penalty box. I dont know how the judges come up with all this stuff. Hopefully we can have 130 cars start at the New Orleans track next year. We can definately throw a big party then.

Scratch the most funny part mentioned above. It is more fun to watch the guys that take this stuff too seriously and act like real racers. It was fun to beat some of those guys with our 400 treadwear street tires that were bought off the internet.

Thanks to the entire Lemons staff and the race car drivers (NOT); the car drivers that were there.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/TetanusNeonRefuel-800px.jpg

Thanks for mounting the BumperCam™ on your Neon. Here's a shot it caught during a fuel stop. Hey, is that dude's face shield up? I hear those facial skin grafts at the Burn Center are quite painful!

MurileeMartin wrote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/j … -800px.jpg

Thanks for mounting the BumperCam™ on your Neon. Here's a shot it caught during a fuel stop. Hey, is that dude's face shield up? I hear those facial skin grafts at the Burn Center are quite painful!

You're welcome.  We'll get a hardwired power supply that actually works for next time.  Even if *you* don't want to mount a camera on our car, we've absconded with your bracket, so we're all set to attempt our own camera hack.

I'll have to talk to the husband about the whole face-shield issue.  I really can't see myself kissing a lipless face - icky!

I'm already dreaming of February...

doctawife wrote:

Even if *you* don't want to mount a camera on our car, we've absconded with your bracket, so we're all set to attempt our own camera hack.

Everything you need to know about the camera hack is here. CHDK will work with most Canon cameras, but check the list before buying one. I got that remanufactured A460 for $70.

I had a blast. We were as high as 18th on Saturday (slow-ass car, but no mechnical issues and no black flags) but ended up finishing 37th after 4 black flags on Sunday. It was fun passing the car on its trailer on my way home and seeing that the "Cone of Shame" was still attached!

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

We are still on the drive home, just passing Phoenix now lol. Awesome time though this weekend. That was some of the cleanest and funnest racing at a Lemons event yet!! The full course was WAY safer and less accidents than earlier this year with the chicanes. The best part was that some how our motor didnt blow up!!! See ya guys in January at Phoenix!