Topic: Is it just me or ......

I just watched the Jalopnik time elapsed BS judging video.

Is it just me or do the Lemons Yee Haw Texas cars appear to be getting newer, shinier, better prepped (more expensive?) and less crap like?

Here's my theory.....

In the early days teams just tried to get a car together in time to make an event.

Now, teams are planning more and taking time to find better cars and do more creative rules bending.

Oh no, it's the 'Lemon's preperation creep' syndrome.

Next thing you know we'll have multiple classes for cars. In 50 years we can be SCCA with 32 different classses so that everyone gets a trophy. 

Stop the creep.  Race crap!!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

2 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-24 09:29 AM)

Re: Is it just me or ......

i think it's the same crap....just more highly polished.

plus, with the current economy, some people will sell a car cheep just to pay a bill.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

THey now use high gloss paint instead of flat?

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Newer and fresher themes to get in.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Yep perp creep..uh, I mean prep creep, or is it creepy prepers..  There are some really well pepped cars out there, no doubt.    There is nothing in the rules about how much time you spend on the car, just how much money you spend.   

I just looked at the 3 hour list on Jalopnik, there are some wicked fast Tauruses near the top, and as I write this from Thunderhill, there's a ratted out, faded red FX-16 sitting across the paddock lane from me, I may just talk to the guy who owns it.............

how the hell did Taurui get so fast?

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

how the hell did Taurui get so fast?

Could it be the drivers?  Nooooooooooooo, that's impossible

wink

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

2 out of 3 Taurui blew.

Some cars did look better than others but in the end a crap load did not finish.

Maybe we can just polish a turd better than others.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

8 (edited by Stovebolt 2009-10-25 10:23 PM)

The first Texas race was like only a few weeks after the hurricane, and most teams like ours were busy with hurricane prep, then out of power for over a week, then getting our houses fixed and families taken care of, and then work a bit on our Lemons cars, we did not have time to test engine after staying up all night welding a a roll cage....so the crap at the first race really was astounding.  We hardly had green flags as nearly every lap cars were blowing up or having other mechanical issues and needing to be towed off the course.  And I was on one of those teams myself - ugh.

This year, I thought the BS tech judging was a bit less harsh, and penalties a bit more humane...unless you drove a Miata of course.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

Stovebolt wrote:

The first Texas race was like only a few weeks after the hurricane, ...

I know that Hurricane Ike really screwed up our preparations for the first race. Heck, there are still items from the "sure would be nice if..." part of the to-do list from that race that I've never gotten to.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I spent $10 on a can of tractor paint and $20 on some black/white tape to make our Van Halen Camaro.  We didn't do any body prep, we just painted right over the rust!  A few people has snide comments about how our car was way too clean for $500 or how it was too nice for Lemons.  however...we had more people tell us how cool it looked and laugh at the various saying painted on the car.  Just because its cheap doesnt mean it can't look cool (from 20 feet) and besides, now it has a few dents, scuffs, and MG logos it looks more lemony!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Troy wrote:

2 out of 3 Taurui blew.

Some cars did look better than others but in the end a crap load did not finish.

Maybe we can just polish a turd better than others.

Correction, 2 out of 4 Tauri blew. Both overheating.

They sure look pretty crappy in person!

heh. i think our crappy camo was wildly effective. at ledges it probably looked WORSE than before we started.

Stovebolt wrote:

This year, I thought the BS tech judging was a bit less harsh, and penalties a bit more humane...unless you drove a Miata of course.

500 laps, right up the ass. Not whining, just a data point for anyone else stupid enough to be considering a Miata. If you ARE that stupid, ours is for sale.

http://www.jimmypribble.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=201&g2_serialNumber=2

Team Unintended Acceleration
Gator-O-Rama: 2009
Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas: 2008, 2009, 2010

Jimmy Pribble wrote:
Stovebolt wrote:

500 laps, right up the ass. Not whining, just a data point for anyone else stupid enough to be considering a Miata. If you ARE that stupid, ours is for sale.

http://www.jimmypribble.com/gallery/mai … alNumber=2

I ran one (1990 Miata #103) at CMP back in September and our team only got 1 lap. Its comes down to what you do it for if your going to get hit that bad or as little as we did.

I'll vouch for the Unintended Acceleration guys.  I don't know how legit the Miata was but they are a good group and they had a good theme.  Well, if you're into child molesting celebrities.

I ran the last few laps on Sunday on 4 1/2 cylinders and I could keep up with them.  So if they're cheating, I don't know where.

They could always upgrade to an Alpha Spider or try the Z challenge.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

I'll vouch for the Unintended Acceleration guys.  I don't know how legit the Miata was but they are a good group and they had a good theme.  Well, if you're into child molesting celebrities.

I ran the last few laps on Sunday on 4 1/2 cylinders and I could keep up with them.  So if they're cheating, I don't know where.

They could always upgrade to an Alpha Spider or try the Z challenge.

in terms of the Cheaty Miata scale, Unintended Acceleration was about a 3 out of 10.

Meaning on the Krider Scale'O'Cheating, they were about a 1.

i.e. Barely cheating.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

i.e. Barely cheating.

Ah, the Krider Scale.    I've heard of that, is it a straight progressive scale or logarithmic?     Does it differ when applied to Integras?

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

19 (edited by Jimmy Pribble 2009-10-27 12:34 PM)

gsmith2424 wrote:

I ran one (1990 Miata #103) at CMP back in September and our team only got 1 lap. Its comes down to what you do it for if your going to get hit that bad or as little as we did.

I don't know. As Jonny points out, we weren't cheating, per se. The car was clean, I admit, but one look at the Rancho™ suspension and the engine (as if anyone even bothered to look) and you could see this was an honest-to-God, bone-stock car. No, LSD, either.

No, I have come to believe the harsh penalty came for another reason. I'll admit that when Hizzonor Jonny was giving us the business, I was biting my pillow with anger and frustration. But after thinking about it, I believe it wasn't about cheating or having a fast car, but rather, the judges were disappointed in us. We were veterans of two races and had shown ourselves to be a team that "gets it." After a weak start, we had shown up to the second race with a good theme, our car was lemony enough, and we played-along in the spirit of the event. We even got an award for most improved drivers. And then we showed-up to the family reunion with a Thai hooker...I mean, a Miata. When we introduced her to Unca Jonny and Aunt Murilee, it was...awkward. What had we been thinking?

Sorry, it won't happen again. We have already started looking for a second Audi...

Team Unintended Acceleration
Gator-O-Rama: 2009
Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas: 2008, 2009, 2010

Evil Genius wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

i.e. Barely cheating.

Ah, the Krider Scale.    I've heard of that, is it a straight progressive scale or logarithmic?     Does it differ when applied to Integras?

Sadly, we never checked how it applies to SE-Rs, a model that is quickly turning out to be the cheatiest of all cheaters. Put it this way -- the Kriders got 5th place and nearly had a wheel fall off among various other bug-a-boos.

As far as logarithmic vs. progressive scales, you totally lost me.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

As far as logarithmic vs. progressive scales, you totally lost me.

Logarithmic has something to do with hippies banging on trees in the woods and progressive scales deals with bands like Dream Theater.  How this relates to Krider I'll never know.  Ya'll must be colledge edgucated or somethin.