Topic: Do I need doors

So my brothers and I decided to register for a race for my dad's 70th birthday.  A few very dumb questions:

1)  Does the car need doors or a hood?
2)  Do most people go with a fuel cell or stock fuel tank?
3) What about brakes?  Do most people upgrade at least the pads?

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Do I need doors

2) most people go with stock tank.
3) most people do not upgrade thier pads but should - get real race pads not "street" pads.  They are the wrong temperature range. 

1) I'm going to assume that you haven't been on track before.  Do you really want rocks and debris coming in through where the door used to be?  Hood...  I'l leave to someone else - there are fire / firewall issues there.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

2) most people go with stock tank.
3) most people do not upgrade thier pads but should - get real race pads not "street" pads.  They are the wrong temperature range. 

1) I'm going to assume that you haven't been on track before.  Do you really want rocks and debris coming in through where the door used to be?  Hood...  I'l leave to someone else - there are fire / firewall issues there.

So I can get a great deal on a totalled VW that is relatively new that is missing the passenger side doors.  I figured a roll cage and some lexan solves my door problem

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

1)  Does the car need doors or a hood?
2)  Do most people go with a fuel cell or stock fuel tank?
3) What about brakes?  Do most people upgrade at least the pads?

1) No, not needed according to the rules.  But I would strongly recommend having them for safety/anti-intrusion/fire purposes.  If the car is so wrinkled that the stock doors don't fit well, just weld on some doors after the cage is installed.  Maybe use the hi-lift jack to reashape door openings as needed to get the doors to sort of fit.

2) stock

3) It is racing,  race pads are appropriate.  Flush system with at least a DOT4 fluid.  New rotrs, rebuilt calipers, new flex hoses are all a good idea.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

1.  I won't comment on weather its legal or not to have doors, you WILL want doors on the car thats for sure.  As far as the hood, its not needed I have seen a few cars run without them for better cooling/to look more crappy.
2.  Most people run the stock tank, as many folks have said if you DO run a fuel cell make sure its in good working order and its a quaility fuel cell.  Same holds true with the stock tank and the rest of the fuel system, there is a reason fuel system parts don't count towards the $500 get it in good working order.
3.  Id say MOST people do something to upgrade the brakes on the car (better pads, DOT4 fluid, etc..)  it all depends on the car.  Teams running cars that came with decent brakes from the factory can usually get away with just running new brake parts.  Cars that came with crappy brakes from the factory (like our Camaro) need to do a bit more.  We ran better pads, new calipers, brake ducts, braided hoses, and all new parts in the rear (drums) and the brakes lived the entire race at Nelson Ledges.

I dunno what type of VW you have, but Id be willing to bet that better pads, new rotors, and DOT 4 would be just fine for most Lemons VW's.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Generally speaking, we recommend keeping the doors for intrusion protection, and the hood for fire isolation. But, you can run without doors provided your roll cage has adequate bracing to make up for the lack of factory sheetmetal.

Bottom line--don't take that stuff off for no reason, but if it's already gone, try to integrate some kind of substitute protection.

7 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-26 03:05 PM)

Fixed:

RobL wrote:

Do you really want our car coming in through where the door used to be?

I kid, I kid. (Rob, you have to admit you smiled.)

In addition to intrusion protection, consider driver access (helping driver in), driver egress (driver GTFO), fire (maybe a few extra seconds to GTFO), and rain.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I think we are going with a used crown vic instead.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible