Topic: Serious Question; Life Insurance, Anyone?

Ok, not to be a downer or anything, but in reality racing (yes, even this kind of racing) is dangerous and even potentially lethal. I, and I suspect many others too, am self-employed and many years ago I tried to be responsible (at least I tried!) and invested in some life insurance. However, I am also pretty sure ANY form of auto racing falls under "non-coverable activities" or some such thing. I have no intention of quitting Lemons, or any of the other motorsports I've had the opportunity to partake in over these last 3 years. So I throw it out to my fellow Lemons: What have you folks done?

Even if you have done nothing, I am interested to hear your reasoning (however flawed it may be- he he!).

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

Re: Serious Question; Life Insurance, Anyone?

What does the mob think? -

- 12 races a year
- about 5 years or so of that many races
- makes for 60 races
- with 100 cars a race
- at 60mph for 14 hours
- gives 800 miles
- times .5 for the breakdowns
= 2.4 million miles of 'racing'.

I'd say it's safer than commuting. . .  better race more!

(and I'm sure that band saws have injured more than racing has.  And probably hantavirus, too.)

-Jeff

Jeff-
I don't disagree with you at all. But that isn't how life insurance companies look at it, unfortunately.

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

4 (edited by socal.colin 2013-03-20 08:00 AM)

Racing Lemons should not increase the importance of having life insurance. If you have a family to cover, and you can afford it, get it racing or not. - though I guess that is not your question. I get it from work and only extreme disasters, war, and purpose self inflicted death is not covered.

Injury where you can not work is a lot more likely from racing. So having some kind of backup plan for income, be it a savings or disability insurance, is a better idea.

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

If you were not engaged in racing when you bought your exisiting policy and you die while racing, you're covered. If the insurance company discovers you lied on your application and were racing before/when you bought your policy, you're not covered. You can get coverage if you go to apply for a new policy and you're currently racing, but your premiums will be higher. They're going to want to know what type of racing, type of car, type of surface, max speeds attained, frequency, and past accidents, etc.

I'll run a sample quote on myself just to see the difference.....stand by.

I look at life insurance as a reward to my wife if I die, or a bet with the insurance company that I will die before the term ends. If they win I live, If my wife wins I die. Ether way I win because I know where I'll be in the end. I just want my wife to be well taken care of in case of an untimely death. I've had this policy for a long time and increase it as my income/earning potential goes up. To do anything else would be irresponsible. Just my 2 cents.

It Ain't My Fault

I bought my policy several years ago and it has a clause stating that I am not covered while auto racing if the car is going over 90 MPH.

I guess that is one reason I have been staying in class C cars for the most part.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I have been racing various genres of motorsports since 2007.
I have yet to find a policy that covers me during competition. 

Yes I have Life Ins. yes it will pay out if I die anywhere but on a racetrack between the 1st Green and the Checkers. 
I'd love to bridge that gap, but have yet to find anyone who will cover. 

Ideas?  And how expensive? 

Not LIFE INS. but....I really like the way USAC does it (only because they do something and something is better than nothing), but Lemons isnt a USAC santioned series. 
It covers driver (events with co-driver) and crew.  So getting hit on pit road, or having a fire during refueling guys get covered. 

There are 3 legs to insurance coverage at events. 99% only have one of those legs, general liability insurance that only covers the Land Owner, Promoter, and Major Sponsors. (This is what Jay & the track carry)

A few provide Particpant Medical Insurance that covers medical expenses experienced by the competitor if they have an accident at a race.

Until now, no one provided Participant Legal Liability, which covers the drivers specifically if something bad happens, USAC now does this.

"As such all drivers will be licensed by USAC and be enrolled in their standard Medical Coverage. $200,000 Excess Medical/$50,000 Death and Dismemberment.

Codrivers will have the same benefits.

Crew will also have the same benefits."

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

Prudential Life Ins, Yes I am covered, opps my wife will collect if I die on/in a race car/track. I had the policy before I had children. I just got off of the phone with my agent.

It Ain't My Fault

I contacted a life insurance broker and spelled out my situation.  There were lots of questions about speed, number of events, stuff like that.

I feel like they gave me a pretty reasonable rate for a good bit of coverage.  I can't remember the specifics, but I think it's $500K and I pay around $50/month.

If you want to know the company I went with, let me know and I'll look it up tonight.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

I took out a life policy last year with West Coast Life, and they added a rider that covered me in competitive auto racing at speeds less than 100 mph.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

I took out a life policy last year with West Coast Life, and they added a rider that covered me in competitive auto racing at speeds less than 100 mph.

"Oh man he was hauling serious mail before that wreck, wow I tell ya!!!"

Ins. Investigator: "Well how fast was he going?"

"Well hard to say he was blazing it up around the track, just a blistering speed right up to the wreck, but I know it wasnt over 99.99999mph"

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

Just got off the phone with my wholesaler who represents Pacific Life and John Hancock for me-

Here's what I gave him: 3 races a year, asphalt, production based cars, 100 mph top speed. He said the racing alone in this case wouldn't add any additional cost to the policy, but you wouldn't qualify for the most preferred rating tier. Based on what I see in business, not many people qualify for this anyway.

14 (edited by f263u 2013-03-21 11:48 AM)

Dave wrote:

I just want my wife to be well taken care of in case of an untimely death.

So, NOT being covered while on the racetrack is a great passive-aggressive way to get back at your wife's complaining about all the spent weekends, nagging about time spent on the rebuild / motor swap / cell install, $$$ lost to races and beer, and the LeMon sitting in the driveway for >2 yrs?

Sounds like a win either way.

Auto Lemon Union www.facebook.com/autolemonunion     
'11 - Point, Sweat, Skank; '12 - Point, Sweat, Vodden, Freeze, '13 Point (+even), Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '14 Problem, Point, Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '15 Point, Lemonites, Freeze.

Asked my Aflac agent if I was covered.... After 4 years... and THOUSANDS in payments... She said no... Dumped that shit right there.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

I am.  Don't remember there being any kind of mph limit.  It was kind of funny actually, I was going through and when he got to the "special" circumstances page, the one that contained racing, middle east travel, etc, his comment was"Well, this is the page where everyone always answers no to all my questions.".  It was pretty fun to watch the look of shock on his face when I answered yes on a few of them.  Of course the first 5 companies that I he applied me to said no, but I am covered in all of these shenanagins.  Well, perhaps not the pit bikes ........

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

17 (edited by Troy 2013-04-11 08:46 PM)

davisriley wrote:

I am.  Don't remember there being any kind of mph limit.  It was kind of funny actually, I was going through and when he got to the "special" circumstances page, the one that contained racing, middle east travel, etc, his comment was"Well, this is the page where everyone always answers no to all my questions.".  It was pretty fun to watch the look of shock on his face when I answered yes on a few of them.  Of course the first 5 companies that I he applied me to said no, but I am covered in all of these shenanagins.  Well, perhaps not the pit bikes ........

So where does desert racing in the middle east fall under these policies?

Make it even better race experimental homemade airplanes in the middle east.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
davisriley wrote:

So where does desert racing in the middle east fall under these policies?

Make it even better race experimental homemade airplanes in the middle east.

I see what you did there, and I like it!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

19 (edited by CaptainCardigan 2013-04-12 11:22 AM)

I declared it on my life insurance application. It's not un-insurable, but it's not a discount - that's for sure. I declared it not so much for dying in an accident on the track - but more for all the activities related to racing: wrenching, paddock existence and so forth. If I die in Lemons, it will probably be while intoxicated, with a cigar in mouth and by either getting run over or crushed by a car.

If it's a new policy, you're probably gonna get investigated pretty thoroughly concerning your death.

My agent is working fairly hard with me to explain the difference between Lemons racing and other racing. [Edit: to the insurance agency].

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker