Topic: Here's a thing someone else wrote one time

The headline seems a bit misleading to me.

Seems like a "Which series...?" post should have some input from teams who have run both series (RobL and Jer from STS are probably where I'd start).

Interviews and research? Ain't nobody got time for that.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/so-y … ou-choose/

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: Here's a thing someone else wrote one time

Well it was an article comparing the to series being paid for by the sponsor of one of the series.

I didn't get through the whole article but from what I did see, it seems like if he was talking about the tracks and how much he loves RA over the tracks he raced at in Lemons, he should have mentioned Lemons is also racing at RA.  The Yellows comment also seemed wrong to me.  Seems Lemons doesn't really have more yellows than Chump, more cars doesn't equal more yellows.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Seems like the same old assessment:

Chump = Cheap racing
Lemons = Cheap racing + big party

I didn't realize that Chump had sponsors!

~Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I'm doing kinda chump this weekend in Ensenada. Should be interesting. People seem much more serious on the chump side.

'00 Volvo XC - DD
'11 Volvo XC90 V8 - Wife's, V8 go Vroom
'12 Mazda5 - Work Thingy
'05 E450 Ambulance - Work Thingy

5 (edited by davisriley 2013-05-02 04:58 PM)

Yeah, there are more incidents in a Lemons race than Chump.  Riiiight.  All I know is my car got hit more times in the last chump car race we ran than all of the Lemons races we have run.  Combined.  Whatever, way to be unbiased, especially when you are sent to a race by the series sponsor.  Hmmm.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I think the writer's opine can be clued in by his own reply to a comment below the article, read into it what you will...

TheSmokingTire: Yes, chris, your car is nuts smile But it looks like a car, not a @#$!#& hot air balloon or a jet ski or something.

I found the rest of the article fairly unbiased, although his (understandable) view is as far removed from the original ethos of crap-can racing as is possible. That approach and set of goals really should be re-named "modest-budget-racing". There is nothing "crap-can" about it.

I have nothing against any kind of racing. But lets stop winking and pretending one is the other.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I do tend to refer to it as budget endurance racing instead of crapcan.  It seems more impressive until they ask what kind of car I race.

Facebook Page

Seems like a pretty honest article.  I do agree with davisriley that there was a lot more contact in Chump.  I like certain aspects of both series.  I do like the more liberal punishment system in Chump, where a spin or four off does not automatically send you to the penalty box, of course I am not really much of a black flag magnet.  The thing I do like best is the constant traffic in Lemons.  When I raced at Laguna last year there were only 30 cars and there were times that I felt like I was alone on the track, makes the racing feel more like qualifying.  By the way, who is the former Indy 500 winner that got the "butter churn" penalty?

Lou Glutz Motorsports:  Vodden 2012 DNF, Pointless 2013 DNF, Vodden 2013 DNF, ArseFreeze 2013 P-53, Pointless 2014 P-65, Vodden 2014 P-85, Arse-Freeze 2014 P-31 Class A, Pointless 2015 P-105 (brakes) Class A, Vodden 2015 P-75 (Electrical), ArseFreeze 2015 P-41, Pointless 2016 P-53, ArseFreeze P-29

Out of curiosity, who is the author? Seems odd to have an opinion article with no byline.

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

10 (edited by therood 2013-05-03 09:00 AM)

chicagozer wrote:

Out of curiosity, who is the author? Seems odd to have an opinion article with no byline.

Matt Farah, as far as I can tell. Does anyone else write Smoking Tire articles? Just curious who all writes for them.

I did notice that it's categorized as an editorial, so I guess any of my initial misgivings about "lack of reporting" are moot. This is Matt's opinion. Period. Well, there's a sponsor twist to it, but that doesn't bother me. Ray Wert wrote something similar from his experience for Jalopnik from the Gingerman Lemons race (same weekend, incidentally).

I've avoided writing this kind of thing as an actual reported "article" before because it's a complex and thorny subject for a whole lot of reasons. I'd say that comparing West Coast Lemons races to a Chump race on America's longest circuit in the middle of the country is not a one-for-one comparison. Each series has huge regional differences not only in terms of car counts but also in terms of attitudes and driving styles.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I guess if you want to do a true comparison run both Road America races at the end of the season.  Same track a week or 2 a part.

Facebook Page

I found the article to be well written and I don't disagree with most of the points. But all things being equal, I like my expensive weekends away from home to include a "party on a pirate ship" atmosphere in there someplace. So it looks like I'm running the right series....

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

I found the article to be well written and I don't disagree with most of the points. But all things being equal, I like my expensive weekends away from home to include a "party on a pirate ship" atmosphere in there someplace. So it looks like I'm running the right series....

Close.  More like a "waterskiing behind the race boat in the paddock" type of series.  And yes, I love the competition.  Our current car will never win anything but overall at this point, too boring.  But I love, and appreciate the out of left field cars.  Keeps up a great flow of traffic, and keeps the rest of us from taking it just a little too serious.  A little more leeway on the 4 offs and spins wouldn't be the worst, but I will gladly trade it for the rest.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!