Topic: Just found a Vega !! Anyone ever run a vega ??

The motor is blown but I got a rolled toyota with a 22r that could transplant.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: Just found a Vega !! Anyone ever run a vega ??

awesome! My first car was a 6 year old Vega!
unlike the press reported we tried blowing the engine up and failed every single time! Mom said I could not put a 283 v8 in because it had a good running engine.
Using a 22r would make for a fun Vega!

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

I got the 22r w/ 5 spd and also a 305 w/ 700r4 I'm think handling would suck w/ v8 but would be fun  drifting!!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

A vega with a 22R in it??  That sounds like great fun!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Use the 22R. Too many fitment issues with the 305 that will cost money to get around. Plus the 22R will run forever.
wait... are you racing any of the East Coast races? My recommendations may change if the answer is yes smile

Bill Strong

I 'm a wet coast guy,plus 22r would use half the fuel

We had a Vega signed up to one of the races, but it never showed up.

Maybe I'll park it on the streets of alameda first for you Murilee!!lol

9 (edited by X-args 2009-10-30 03:11 PM)

There was a Pontiac Astre at the first '07 Altamont race, so no Vegas, but an H body.
And a Monza of two now that I think about it, but the Vega is the ultimate.

22R would be great! Just remember to baffle the crap out of the oil pan and mount the engine as far back as practical, and you'll have a sweet drivin' machine! Some late Monza sway bars, a variable ratio steering box and suitable springs and you're a Lemons winner. A carbureted 22R will make ~100+hp and be as reliable as sunrise, and that's as much power as one of those poxy Miatas with the same weight!

Oh yeah, have you SEEN a V8 Vega?!? That's a lot of work, and crazy headers that wrap around the steering box and the need for a big radiator... The 22R/5 speed combo's the way to go. Just remember to put 3.73/4.11 gears in it for max 22R acceleration.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Vega can actually be a decent handling car.. If you can make the 22R work, that should be a fun car....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I used to AutoX a Vega back in the 80s around the Phoenix area. Stripped out they are quite lightweight. An Iron Duke powered version would be cheap as hell too. If only I could find one out here.

Bill Strong

215 Buick V-8 (Rover 3.5/3.9 etc.) is a great swap....adapters were once available, maybe some are still out there

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....