1 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-21 05:23 AM)

Topic: just a quick oklahoma note:

If you've seen anything newslike in the last 12 hours, you've probably heard that Oklahoma caught a massive tornado yesterday afternoon.

words cannot do justice, and i'm not sure the pics can do much more.

Our teammates and families are scattered thruout the OKC metro, and really across the entire state. Our team's HQ is in Moore, luckily about two miles north of the damage path. I wasn't there when all hell broke loose, tho i had planned to be. I got out of work just as this was firing up, so I went home to watch the tv reports and keep my school teacher fiancee up to speed on what was going on (school information is probably the worst rumor mill you can imagine) and if it was going to impact her so she could keep her kids informed and in line.

I wasn't able to get back down to the shop to check for damage due to roadblocks and much more important missions, but i'm sure it will be limited to hail damage...which is kinda par for the course around here.

For those that might be unaware, Moore oklahoma has caught three massive tornadoes in the last 15 years. I've lived in oklahoma my entire 37 years, and i've seen more tornado damage than I care to think about, but yesterday's is unbelievable. driving to work this morning, I passed thru where it crossed I-35, and even in the predawn darkness the damage was evident and incredible. For all the comparisons to Moore's may 3rd 1999 tornado, this is at least as bad, possibly worse. This storm took much the same path that storm took, but in the intervening years Moore has seen massive growth, especially in the area directly in the path of this storm.

Happily, I can report that none of our team, nor any of our families were directly involved in this tragedy. We have several friends in Moore, one family has suffered massive losses to their home (not total destruction, but probably at the cusp on condemnation, it seems). they weren't home at the time, but only because they had a complicated birth nine days ago...so it's been a rough week and a half for them.

some of our teammates live in the tulsa area and still others are in the northwest arkansas area...and if something comes thru OKC, it invariably ends up up there as well. the Moore storm eventually took out a couple trees in our arkansas guy's yard. Mail from Moore has been found in Branson, Missouri.

If you are the praying type, nobody here is gonna fault you for doing so.
if you are the donating type, there are a half dozen ways to do so, red cross and salvation army are the obvious ones, but there are others as well.
if you are the preparing type...please do so. every part of the country faces its own challenges, but many of the solutions are the same. if a situation happens and you don't need your preparations, your neighbors might.
if all you can do is hug your kids and pets and parents...do that.

thanks to technology, i was able to clear my family within an hour of the storm. i don't know how crazy i might be if i had to go to bed last night hoping for a good phone call and being scared of a bad one. there are people who are not nearly as lucky as I, and my heart breaks for them.

We will survive, we will rebuild, and we will carry on. we've done it before, we will do it again.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: just a quick oklahoma note:

Glad to hear no one directly in your circle was injured.  My wife's great uncle's house was minorly hit destroying his garage but the entire family happenned to be at the hospital at the time.

In the 20 years I lived in Oklahoma on and off I saw quite a bit of Tornado damage as well.  I happenned to be in Germany when my parents house in Stillwater, and my childhood elementary and high schools, were hit.  The community reaction has always been amazing in these situations with familys taking in those displaced or pitching in to slap tarps on roofs for those only minorly damaged.

As many who have not lived through this, the property damage can be significant but the longer term effects of irreplaceable items destroyed (photo albums, baby books, etc) and the lingering effects of being homeless for sometimes months are the biggest impact outside of those that lose someone.

Probably the biggest tragedy in this storm were the kids that lost their lives int he school.  From my father in law's reports (Highway Patrol training officer that got called in for the search) the teachers and students did everything they were supposed to and yet not all survived.  It is always a tragedy when children die but it seems doubly so when they were doing all the right things.

Prayers from Team Lemon-aid that way.  Glad you guys are ok.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I was getting ready for work this moring when it hit me that you guys were in Moore, and I really only remember that because it was our backup on the Mark Viii you had when we were headed to norman to pick up the one we ended up buying. I got to work and was just about to post up to see if you boys made it out ok.

Glad to hear everyone is OK. I've got kin scattered all over Oklahoma, so yesterday afternoon was a bit of a nail biter for me. My thoughts go out to everyone that was efffected.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

5 (edited by Speedycop 2013-05-21 06:13 AM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

What /\ said.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Psycho,  I was just popping in to make sure you and yours were ok.

I sure like to make a lot of Oklahoma jokes but none of this is funny at all.

Keep us updated and hang tough.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Glad you're all unscathed.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Just a note I heard on my way into work this morning; If you're lazy and want to donate, you can send $10 to the Red Cross by texting "redcross" (no quotes) to 90999.

9 (edited by JimR 2013-05-21 06:39 AM)

This was an usually fast, violent storm cell. Luckily, we escaped the worst by the time it hit us. A man was killed here when flying debris struck his car and caused him to crash. Mostly downed trees here and there, and an evening without power.

Surprisingly, a large scorch mark points to lightning splitting my tree, rather than the omnipresent high winds. I was bummed to find a sparrow electrocuted, but barely alive, clinging to a branch with a death grip not far from where the tree was burned.

This one was bad, I fear historically bad. Stuff a few bucks in the donation bin, and make sure you're prepared. You know, actually prepared.

Assistant Tape Unroller - Team OK-Speed

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

+1

If I may add a racing perspective to the damage, this is the remnants of Whit Gastineau's house and race shop.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/575569_10200247567529588_2138814844_n.jpg

This got carried away in the storm

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/s480x480/969731_10200249155249280_529071944_n.jpg

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Speedycop wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

What /\ said.

^^ yes.

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

cheseroo wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

+1

If I may add a racing perspective to the damage, this is the remnants of Whit Gastineau's house and race shop.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/575569_10200247567529588_2138814844_n.jpg

if you can imagine it...and i'm not sure anyone really can....there is a path a half mile wide and 15 miles long that looks much like this.

most of the neighborhoods in this area are smaller homes on smaller lots and there are places where you can stand on a foundation slab and not see anything resembling a house for three blocks to either side, and for 3 miles front or back.

I just drove thru a couple sections of it getting to HQ and back to work and it is absolutely beyond comprehension.

Team OK-Speed

It's always hard to think of what to say when this happens. As someone who just met you I'm glad you came out of it okay. Something like this makes you realize what's really important.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

14 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-21 10:59 AM)

I dunno if this is crass or appropriate, mostly because my view might be a bit skewed.....

if people feel this is inappropriate, i'll yank it down, or the board admins can.

my big assed van is prepped and waiting for these friends of mine to be allowed to collect their belongings. their house has moved off its foundation, and will probably be torn down. luckily, it's still mostly there, so they should be able to collect many of their belongings.

in the meantime, we're trying to find them somewhere to live while the insurance gets settled and they can start over. as i noted above, they had a problematic birth just over a week ago, so their world was already sucking before yesterday, so starting over is gonna more tricky than it might otherwise be.

http://www.gofundme.com/Fisher-Family-Fund

if you can, and you are willing..please do.
if you can't, or you have more pressing or personal needs...please do that instead. there are plenty of people who can use the help.

at this point, anything..anywhere helps. some people would rather donations go to a real person rather than something vague like the red cross, or the salvation army. other people would rather donate to a large, known entity. either way, your generosity will be appreciated.

justin

Team OK-Speed

Prayers, and donation, sent.

Best wishes to all affected by this disaster.

bs

I was supposed to return from my four-month overseas deployment about the same time the tornado hit. I got home a few hours late to find damage from baseball-sized hail. The windshields on my '06 Mustang and '69 Cadillac are busted and our roof is totalled (but not leaking!). Luckily we installed our shelter last year, so the wife, kids, and pets were safe.

I still wonder why Oklahoma building codes don't require storm shelters and class 4 roofing.

cuz we ain't much for the gub'mint tellin' us what to do?

Team OK-Speed