Topic: Vehicle inspectors

Hey gang,

We recently started a new website called Jewel or Jalopy that we think will be of interest to the Lemons crew.  We connect car enthusiasts who can perform a pre-purchase inspection with car buyers who want an enthusiast to check out a car for them.

If you want to help others by performing pre-purchase inspections you can sign up to be an inspector. 

Or, if you found a car you want to buy and need someone to help check it out, you can find a car enthusiast who has experience with that specific type of car.

Please check us out if you’re interested in learning more.  If you have any questions you can ask them here or send us an email at support@jewelorjalopy.com.

(Note:  We checked with the Jay before posting this, and he agreed to let us post here to help spread the word.)

Thanks!
Ian and Kim Lomax
Jewel or Jalopy

Re: Vehicle inspectors

FWIW, I have seen quite a few very poorly "restored" vehicles pass through my shop in the last few years.  Seems like there is a growing feeding frenzy of rust belt buyers being enticed by unscrupulous flippers out west.  So I was happy to sign up for Jewel or Jalopy when it hit my inbox.  I hope more enthusiasts sign up as inspectors to help reduce the amount of fraud coming through ebay, craigslist, etc.

That's my .02$

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

3 (edited by papal_smear 2013-06-12 10:37 AM)

Just curious, how are you covering yourself and your "inspectors" from lawsuits?  Most of the mechanics I know have stopped doing pre-purchase inspections as it opens them up to liability issues.  Even with release forms, waivers, etc. all it takes is for one yutz to stuff his car into a tree for everyone involved in the purchase process to get sued... even if said yutz had no business driving a car.

I spent a few hours ($$$) with a lawyer trying to cover my butt in opening an automotive clinic of sorts, and in the end, it was recommended I don't touch anyone else's car, nor do I allow anyone to touch a car that'll be driven on public streets.  There's just too many ways one can be sued into bankruptcy when it comes to the sale and maintenance of 2-ton steel missiles for use in public.

Not saying this isn't a great idea.  Such services are already offered on auto forums for nearly every make and model... even on these forums... you have folks asking each other to check out cars.

But what might fill a similar niche without opening such a can of worms is a site that helps an auto owner document the operation and service of his car: before- and after- photos from detailing, service and repair, scans of receipts, tables of service and refueling intervals, calculations of cost of ownership, fuel economy, etc., etc.  You could even calculate a score of sorts that tells a prospective buyer how well the car was cared for at a glance.  Think of it as a compliment to Carfax.

Thanks for the question.  We encourage all our inspectors to talk to the buyer and set expectations up front.  Send an email or contract that states that the inspection is another set of data points that will help them decide if they want the car, but is by no means a guarantee that they will know everything there is to know about the car.

If you don't get a good feeling from the buyer don't take the job.

And if you're concerned about liability, don't sign up or check out cars for others.  But so far we've had an overwhelmingly positive response, and have hundreds of inspectors signed up all over the country.  Many are professional appraisers or mechanics.  Our buyers have also been very happy so far, see here:  http://www.jewelorjalopy.com/blog/

Thanks!
Ian