Topic: Engine hoists

Considering the speed at which I am blowing engines in our Saturn, I have a decided I need a better way to drop the engine than a borrowed hoist or a 4' x 4' across the shock towers.

Used hoists are not expensive but I am thinking outside the box.  I want to build a gantry type crane with a platform at the base for the motor/tranny/subframe to sit on.  The gantry would unbolt from the base and our spare "loaded" subframe would be stored and moved around on the base.

Two of the issues I found when either working alone or in the grass at the track:

The design of normal cherry picker engine hoist make them hard to roll...especially on grass...once loaded.

The amount of lift required is often stretching the headroom I have in my garage (lift car a little with jacks, drop subframe down, lift car body a lot more with hoist).

I will have multiple mounting points for the gantry and make it wide enough to accommodate my other potential Lemons car.  The plan is to use 1500 # winch 1/4" lifting cable with a load leveler.

OK, tell me what I am missing.  I am sure it is whole host of issues I am not thinking of.

Re: Engine hoists

I know this doesn't answer your question....

A cheap harbor freight engine hoist can be found on sale for $100 to $150.  The rolling while loaded situation can be fixed by replacing the casters with larger diameter ones.

All in, I think it would be FAR cheaper to go that route than to engineer a gantry crane and get materials.

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Hmmm, Interesting.
I've been playing with the idea of fabricating some sort of boom arm to mount to the bumper of our big truck using cable or chain.
Sort of like a light weight home built wrecker. You could easily position the truck in front of the racecar, attach a come-a-long or hoist or whatever to the extended boom, pull the engine, and pull forward once the engine was clear of the bay, it would collapse easily and store in the bed of the truck.
  Second idea is to build a heavy duty canopy frame, strong enough to easily support the weight of a car engine and trans. You could build it out of roll bar material using your tubing bender and welder. Obviously, there would be some engineering and testing involved, but think about how conveinent an overhead hoist inside a canopy would be. Add lights, maybe a lightweight I-beam with trolley, SWEET!

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

We bring 2-3 4' X 8' sheets of plywood to laydown and pull the car onto so we're not having to roll around in the dirt & sand, also makes cherry pickers roll much better.

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

SBT, You beat me to it with the suggestion of a coulpe of sheets of plywood.  We do the same.  Just make sure you do a "test roll" of the hoist and position the sheets so that you don't drop a caster off the plywood into the mud while the motor is halfway/out.   IF you do drop a wheel, that's where the little 2' X 2' plywood sheets that you brought for the jackstands come in handy.

FYI. the sheets of OSB are already on the list for the next race.

As to cost, I have already figured that out and not counting welding wire and bolts, I am at about $220.  As said, quite a bit more that either the harbor freight hoist or a used hoist.  Plus there is my time to think about.

None of what we have talked about addresses the headroom issue in the garage (a little under 7' with the door open).  Keep in mind, for our car, dropping the entire subframe out the bottom is a lot easier that pulling the engine out the top (at least with a cherry picker).  Having a rolling storage place for our spare subframe with motor is attractive too as I am usually working alone.

Still no denying it...there is a reason the standard cherry picker style engine hoist has stood the test of time.  It is a good, flexible design.

buy a used or beat up regular hoist off craigslist. you can replace the jack for $60 at harbor freight.

knock the silly little casters off it and engineer a way to mount better, bigger wheels on it.  if you can lower the legs and the base in the process, you won't have to get the car as high in the air to clear them.

some decent 4 or 5" double wheel casters welded to gussets at the ends of the legs and the base can make for a nice cheap low-pro hoist.

sheets of plywood take care of the rest of the concerns.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Use the hitch receiver of the tow truck to fab something collapsible.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Our local Pick-N-Pull (junkyard chain) has self-built gantry cranes in the yard with chain hoists for pulling motors.  They're actually a pretty decent design - they use small car tires for the wheels!  That enables them to roll pretty well even on the highly irregular gravel.  I do not know the details of how they built or sourced the swivel hubs for the wheels but at least the upper mount is a manufactured, grease-able part and they're clearly using wheels and tires they got off incoming junk cars since they're mismatched in every way.  They might have used the hubs off the cars themselves and welded them to custom uprights which then bolt to the upper swivel which then bolts to the gantry crane.

If you find a source for swivels that would work for that see if they have lockable ones.  If you're working alone and have to roll the gantry any distance at all then it would be really helpful to lock a pair of the wheels to keep from swiveling so it will go straight.  They have to be unlockable though so you can roll it sideways over the car.

You could make the height adjustable by using two sizes of tubing for your uprights - one slips into the other and can telescope up and down.  Use a couple pairs (or more) of hefty bolts or pins like you would with a press.  Something that positively locks in place would be better since you might rattle them loose while rolling around otherwise.

I'm about to take off for Summit Point but once I'm back if I can get to the junkyard I could take some pictures of their cranes.  I could also sketch up something for the height adjust if it's not clear enough above.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

our pull-a-part has very much the same setup, tho they tend to use space saver spares for rollers.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I'm going to have to tow my tractor to the races, it's the only way I know how to pull an engine out.

http://s13.postimg.org/ir79gk4yf/image.jpg

I may be nuts but I was thinking of getting one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-LB-PICK-UP- … 6785913%26

It should be good enough for my use & my truck can roll over the grass easily. I was also thinking of mounting receivers on the sides of the trailer.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

You aint nuts!

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/0/7/0/9/webimg/547611946_tp.jpg

Its genius!   I have a gravel driveway and have pretty much worn the wheels off my hoist with LeMony engine swaps.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

MikeZilla wrote:

It should be good enough for my use & my truck can roll over the grass easily. I was also thinking of mounting receivers on the sides of the trailer.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4lrqPAFh-TY/TToGVXPglFI/AAAAAAAAAIY/58xoBgWV2J0/s1600/ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Northern also sell truck bed mounted hoists.  For about 150

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Everyone is overthinking this.  Just go with a small enough engine that you can pick it up and move it around with your bare hands.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7504752768_c75413ff59.jpg

Also, what's this "receiver hitch" thing I keep hearing about?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

MikeZilla wrote:

Eh. Big-block Cadillac weighs about 620 lbs. I need something beefier.

knock the silly little casters off it and engineer a way to mount better, bigger wheels on it.  if you can lower the legs and the base in the process, you won't have to get the car as high in the air to clear them.

This. I put larger casters on the back of mine and dropped the front down enough to fit under a lowered RX-7 with flat tires.

Team Infinniti wrote:

Use the hitch receiver of the tow truck to fab something collapsible.

Just get a used hoist, then unbolt the vertical, and re-bolt to a plate, that is welded to a 2x2" of tubing which fits in your hitch receiver. 

reading this post I just figured this out and may have to do this myself, since it will save carrying around the whole hoist.

If you do this I would rig some (2) steel cables from the forward stake holes or forward tie down points to the TOP of the hoist. A 300-1000 lbs load, out on the end of a 4 foot long hoist arm, 5 feet in the air is enough torque ( SQRT(4^2+5^2) x 1000 = 6400 ft lbs) to probably damage the tow hitch on most trucks as they are not built for twisting loads

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/3867169349.html

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche