Topic: Anyone Looking to buy a house in L.A.?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6856- … 0634_zpid/

The listing isn't on the MLS yet, but the house next door to mine has just been put on the market. Its a modest 1 owner 1950s house, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1500+ Sq. foot on a 6500 sq foot lot, located on a cul de sac in Van Nuys (right by the DMV). I believe they are asking $350k.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943111_10201112925291082_1584744106_n.jpg

The reason I am posting here is that as you can see in the picture, this neighborhood has a very strange Y shaped driveway set up, and I share the other branch of the Y. That Lemons yellow house is mine, and you can see our Futura in the driveway.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Re: Anyone Looking to buy a house in L.A.?

your post makes me feel a lot better about getting ready to buy a 50s 3bd 2ba 1660 sqft house on a 9500 sqft lot for $140,000 or so.

good luck with your new neighbors....i could never share a driveway like that....

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

your post makes me feel a lot better about getting ready to buy a 50s 3bd 2ba 1660 sqft house on a 9500 sqft lot for $140,000 or so.

good luck with your new neighbors....i could never share a driveway like that....

I know.  How would you decide where to split the snow shoveling duties?

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

4 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-21 12:19 PM)

my fiancee's 1930's duplex shares a one car driveway and a two car detached garage (one car parking for each side of the duplex). I just shovel the entire driveway onto their side...

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

Im with you. I guess each area has its stregths and weaknesses, but Ill deal with hot summers, twisters popping up in the spring, and hail to have my 3k square foot two story with a pool for $148k.

And I dont think I would get along with someone sharing that kind of driveway.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

6 (edited by EyeMWing 2013-05-22 05:56 PM)

Punting this to a prospective first-time buyer. Not a god damned chance in hell I'd finance her for well over a quarter million, but you Californians are insane anyway.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Crapcan real estate in LA wow!  Could you imagine the domination of neighbor teams?!?  Personally I'll stick with long tows to keep my 5 acres, 1500 sqft house and 2000 sqft shop.  But it rains here, a lot!  Good luck, hope you have a compatible neighbor soon!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

This area is cheap for L.A., If you look a little closer (over the hill as they say) or in someplace like Burbank (which has better schools) you be paying $500-600 for something like this.

I have a better understanding of why it's hard to push the Futura in and out of the garage now...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Is that you in the photo peeking through your neighbor's window? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

But serously, cost aside, who would want to live next to someone who races a fairmont?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

12 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2013-05-23 12:57 PM)

Blue States.

Geez.  hmm

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Baron wrote:

But serously, cost aside, who would want to live next to someone who races a fairmont?

And is touchy about whether or not he knows his Jeepster from his Commander.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Baron wrote:

And is touchy about whether or not he knows his Jeepster from his Commander.

Im not arguing with them, I am telling them how they are wrong.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Type44 wrote:

I have a better understanding of why it's hard to push the Futura in and out of the garage now...

It nearly pinned me between the the Fairmont and the cinder block wall next to the Toyota 4runner last time we tried pushing it backwards out of the garage.

When Google drove by and took this photo my 1960 Chevy was in the garage. When I backed that out I took down the top 2 rows of brick protecting my neighbors flower garden.

my neighbor doesn't share my driveway, but he comes over with beer and whiskey and we shoot guns on my porch, light my yard on fire, and stuff like that. I didn't even have to pay extra for him.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Now THAT'S a food neighbor!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

I'm a broker right up the road in Sherman Oaks, so if you want to buy it, gimme a call!

19 (edited by Parkwod60 2013-06-21 08:18 AM)

priapism wrote:

I'm a broker right up the road in Sherman Oaks, so if you want to buy it, gimme a call!

It sold. She got 8 offers at or above asking, 3 of them before it was even on the MLS. The housing market in L.A. is already insane again.

Parkwod60 wrote:

L.A. is still insane.

FTFY

All I can say is...WOW.

I have a two story, 2000sq ft with two garages equaling three small bays for $80K.

I pay $460 in property taxes a year.

While you're all pissed at me, I might as well mention my 500 foot commute from my back door to my desk.  It's a two minute walk.

I don't know how you all do it.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:

All I can say is...WOW.

I have a two story, 2000sq ft with two garages equaling three small bays for $80K.

I pay $460 in property taxes a year.

While you're all pissed at me, I might as well mention my 500 foot commute from my back door to my desk.  It's a two minute walk.

I don't know how you all do it.

It aint cheap to not be a hoosier...