Topic: Introducing "The Troy" to Thunderhill 09

My teammates and I have been going back and forth on bribes for the upcoming race.  We've done the beer thing, we've done the liquor thing, we've done the "why would be bring a bribe?" thing.  This race, we decided to get a little more creative.

It's no secret that I am a bit of a forum junky, and that I frequently get in internet pissing matches with others like myself (Troy, Jim, Rikkor, etc.).  Over the past few months, I have been paying special attention to the infamous Brakes thread in which Troy is famous for spouting off about the NEED for updated brakes.  All this time, I passed off his ramblings to the need to hear himself talk.

That was, until this happened:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RXSJFMrONUQ/SvMbXAyqbYI/AAAAAAAAADs/Kf_pUu1lLSY/s1600/IMG_3157.JPG

One of our novice drivers ignored a grinding sensation in the brakes for about 10 laps before pulling in to say "umm, I think something is wrong with the brakes".  At this point, our piston had worn through the pad and was in direct contact with the rotor during braking.  This caused things to overheat, and our brake fluid caught on fire...  A quick douse with a fire extinguisher and we were back on the track (for the last lap of the race).

Upon inspection, we had very little usable parts left on the brakes.  The calipers were still ok, but needed a full rebuild.  What to do with all the burnt up junk?  Make a trophy!

May I present "The Troy" (sorta like "The Oscar", but much much cooler)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/4113706640_d333b3185e.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4112938349_3d8b113e57.jpg

This trophy will be given out by the Judges at Thill 09 as the "Judges Choice".

Ingredients:  Toasted brake rotor, 4 head bolts from the blown motor at Buttonwillow, two pad-less brake pads that we burned through, the piston we destroyed in Portland (with obvious material missing), and finally the pad that the piston burned through.. and that shape is exactly how it was when we pulled it out of the car.

See you all this weekend!

Re: Introducing "The Troy" to Thunderhill 09

We'll take it. And you get one Get Out of Jail Free card for your unsolicited efforts.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

We'll take it. And you get one Get Out of Jail Free card for your unsolicited efforts.

Actually, I told them we'd use it as a Judges' Choice, so it's quasi-solicited.

I'm not sure what to say.

I haven;t killed any of the brakes off the Z, but we certainly have enough crapped out parts from the past year to make something.

Thanks Matt.

Have a good time at Thunderhill, may the wind turbo be with you.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Actually, I told them we'd use it as a Judges' Choice, so it's quasi-solicited.

I meant that they built it without prompting -- not the Judge's Choice part

also, for you other teams unsure of what to bribe us with, think cash.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"