1 (edited by OnkelUdo 2013-11-22 03:11 PM)

Topic: 2015 Canyon/Colorado Deisel

C&D did an article on the 2014/2015 Canyon/Colorado and I have to say for the first time in a long time, there is a GM vehicle I would potential purchase.  2016 is the year for my first new car for myself...in theory.

Anyone know the origin of the claimed 2.8L TDI?  I am assuming it is a GM Euro part but the size sounds sooooo familiar it makes you wonder if it is a VM motor.

Re: 2015 Canyon/Colorado Deisel

I believe that I read it is is by VM Motori, but I don't remember where I saw that.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner

Holy Crap! Gm is gonna build something I wanna buy? Oh, and sell it in the states??!!!? Hello? GM? We are not scared of diesels any more! Just test it and make it good! Also, Anybody at Jeep that's tired of just teasing me about Jeep diesel pickups can get to work on getting one of those in production! They make all these concept vehicles.... Then the product planning people say nobody will buy it....The same ass#oles that said there'd be a market for maybe 1000 Jeep Rubicons. Now damn near every other Jeep is one. Now I just want a light duty diesel pickup. One to haul junkyard trinkets home from the U-Pull-N-Pray...

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

if it's a VM motori, I say buy it! hell of an engine. only thing i like about my CRD libby.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Can't quite stoop to a libby. Love those motors tho. What-in-Hell-were they thinking to not stick those in the Wrangler? They also made the Merc 3.0 V6 diesel only avalable in a limited Grand. Dealers around here wanted 48k for one. WTF! Certainly not gonna do junkyard trips on leather seats.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Just saw the new Colorado at the L.A. Auto show (disclaimer, I bought a 2005 Colorado and still DD one, so I like it) and it looks a lot like the old one, but with a much better looking front end, an interior worthy of the 21st century (unlike the "Playskool - My First Pick Up Truck" interior in mine), and the got rid of the tranny cross-member that hung down 3" below anything else in the center of the truck. Pretty sure its the same great chassis under the (mostly) same sheetmetal of the new one. Mine is only rated to tow 4000lbs, but we all knew that was bullshit from day 1, a marketing ploy to get folks to buy the bigger trucks. The 2006+ Colorado could be speced to tow up to about 600lbs, and the new one is supposed to good all the way up to 6700 in full tow package.

Anyway, they are good trucks that have only even been hampered by a lack of marketing, and the fact that the Silverado is only a few $ more a month when you finance it.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

Just saw the new Colorado at the L.A. Auto show (disclaimer, I bought a 2005 Colorado and still DD one, so I like it) and it looks a lot like the old one, but with a much better looking front end, an interior worthy of the 21st century (unlike the "Playskool - My First Pick Up Truck" interior in mine), and the got rid of the tranny cross-member that hung down 3" below anything else in the center of the truck. Pretty sure its the same great chassis under the (mostly) same sheetmetal of the new one. Mine is only rated to tow 4000lbs, but we all knew that was bullshit from day 1, a marketing ploy to get folks to buy the bigger trucks. The 2006+ Colorado could be speced to tow up to about 600lbs, and the new one is supposed to good all the way up to 6700 in full tow package.

Anyway, they are good trucks that have only even been hampered by a lack of marketing, and the fact that the Silverado is only a few $ more a month when you finance it.

Could you get the 2005's w/ an upgraded rear?  I couldn't imagine towing 6000#s w/ a 7.5.  IIRC, someone locked up the rear of a colorado/canyon a year or so ago (Lemons tow)

I just bought a 2013 Sierra.  love it, but from the pics of these I could love this even more:(

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I too gave up towing stuff with light duty trucks. Here in Colorado I'm usually pulling up steep grades or going back down them.  Had a couple light trucks including an Astro Cargo van that did do the job. But 4L60E and 7.5 rearends really were not built for that. The 4L60E will die awful easy when used for towing. Must have replaced 5 of em in 4 different trucks over the years. Considering that the 7.5 rear axle originally saw use in H body platforms ( VEGA / MONZA) it really does do pretty well. But from my experience they need synthetic oil and a diff cover with fins or such to keep cool so as not to totally smoke the oil out of em. I really did abuse that Astrovan. Kinda want another. Loved the Vortec V6 motor.... only had to do the injector spider once........

9 (edited by Parkwod60 2013-11-26 11:56 PM)

I never gave it a thought as to what rear was in there. A quick Google says the Colorado never had a 7.5", it only came with an 8".  http://www.drivetrainshop.com/GM_8_0_s/109.htm

I don't worry about the transmission, I have a manual.

Almost nothing from the S10/Astro Van crossed over to the Colorado. The basically used parts from the Trailblazers parts bin. As far as I know the mid-cycle refresh trucks with the upgraded 6000lb towing capacity didn't have any real changes except the number written under towing capacity, and an available 5.3 V8.

Nice. Are these transmissions a 5 or 6 speed manual?

Details are fishy on which automatic, but it will be an automatic...and only an automatic.

SeldomSeen wrote:

Nice. Are these transmissions a 5 or 6 speed manual?

The 2004-2006 5 cylinder was available with a 5 speed Aisan manual that is somehow related to one used in the Toyota Supra and also saw usage in Jeeps and Troopers. Its a pretty sweet shifting transmission, but I guess it is marginal for usage behind anything with more than 220hp/225lb/ft in a truck. It is the same unit that was used in the Solstice coupe, even the turbo. After 2006 or 2007 it was only available with the smaller 4 cylinder motor in the truck.

From what I hear the new version will have no regular cab and no stick shift.

Ah. Well no thanks then. Knew GM would screw it up somehow. I'm fairly certain that if I added up the replacement costs of all the GM automatics I have replaced It'd  be enough to buy a whole new truck.  Hello? People at Jeep? You guys listening? Truck. 6 speed MANUAL. Diesel. Preferably, has turning circle smaller than the Titanic.